• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Do it in two days unless you are in your 20's and trying to prove you are a hard ass. Enjoy the ride and try not to make it into a mission.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well, thanks for all of the suggestions, tips and advice, and the very generous offer from TRN. I picked up the bike in Keller and rode it 80 miles to my folks home where my wife, whose car we took to Keller, and I spent the night. It took nearly two hours since I had to avoid weather and go through some city traffic.

My ass was killing me. Sharp pain when standing or getting off, and numbness when on. That is really all that bothered me. The bike has a Mustang seat, but it just does not seem made for long distance. I felt fine other than that. The bike is a 5 speed, and at 70 I really wanted to shift one more time, lol. With the 19" windscreen wind was no problem.

I decided to store it in my dad's garage until I get more gear and can dedicate a day. The 6 1/2 hour trip will easily be 8 hours. My wife told me that following me she was waaaay nervous with the way cagers drive around me. She was not happy about me riding it down. I will fly up and ride it back when I can make a day of it, stop and shops and stores, sight see some, etc. Give my butt a chance.

I am a actually looking forward to it. Maybe some of you would want to do parts with me.

TxI, your sharp pain... were you carrying IWB while riding? I have found, from long car rides and generally carrying that I am developing what I think is sciatic nerve pain. I got my tail handed to me on he 15hr road trip in the Charger to Tucson. I was miserable. Between my slim wallet in my back pocket and a Commander on my side, I hurt. The lump there on the hip can change your posture a little bit which contributes to nerve aggravation. Anyway, review your carry. I know the considerations are many for accessibility, security and ease of deployment - even how it'll injure you if you do go down and land on it. So, I won't give suggestions, just say review the method, even if just to make the one long trip.

Also the saddle matters. I know the market is a different for cruiser vs sport touring but we had a Sargeant seat on the Ducati for long rides. It was a big difference compared to the stock seat. Consider ordering up a nice custom seat. It will make a world of difference. The stock seat on the Vulcan hurt my rear end after a few hours.

Ultimately I discovered that riding a cruiser set my spine, neck and shoulders at an uncomfortable position and it made distances tough. I have to be upright to support with legs under me.

For the shorts, consider a comfortable nylon/spandex type that is breathable and stays put (like someone said, bike shorts). Something like UnderArmor briefs. Doesn't have to be UA brand as they are expensive. I'm using them as an example of the type.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I do 500 miles regularly. Use a hydration pack, use sunscreen and cover up. Exposed skin dehydrates and burns faster and you will actually be cooler with a vented jacket. A sheepskin seat cover will increase your comfort dramatically as will not sitting on your wallet or anything else in your rear pockets. An Airhawk cushion is heaven on your butt. Take a five minute break every 100-150 miles. A chest rig under a jacket works very well, but my jacket has a pocket just inside the front zipper where I keep my pistol in a pocket holster.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    How about some reality:

1) Just drove to SOUTH Dallas from San Antonio. 8 hr trip!!!! 2 hrs just to get thru Austin, another 1 hr to Georgetown and Roundrock. Traffic was bumper to bumper the entire way. I 35 just say NO

2) I did the DFW to SA several times a year and here are 2 GREAT alt routes: hwy 281, you can pick up just SW of Dall, pass thru Hico. The other route which is more fun and more scenic is Hwy 16. Light traffic too. Take 377 over to 16 and 281

3) You are looking at a late July or Aug trip. The heat can be BRUTAL out on I 35, especially if you do not have a windshield (I don't). Here is a cooling tip you will see a LOT of Harley riders use: Put on your riding jeans, sit down and just above the top of the kneecap, cut a slit from almost seam to seam. Now as you cruise the road the wind will enter into your jeans and help keep you cool.

4) Full face helmet: Guess that is your choice in life, NOT mine. Can you say cook your brain. Heat issues crop up when the BRAIN can no longer maintain your normal body temp. You don't have a heat issue just because you leg is hot. You have got to keep your brain cool. Get yourself a open helmet for those hot Texas road trips. Believe it or not but I ride with a baseball cap and have had it blow off only once. Wear it military style rather than redneck style. Pull it down in front 2 fingers above your nose with your finger touching between your eyes. Read up on the effects of heat on the brain and you will know why you need to keep it cool for YOUR SAFETY!

5) I take a break every hour on the hour when the temps exceed 98 degrees and drink LOTS of liquids, you goal is to arrive safe!

One Aug I did this trip, back in the late 90's. The record LOW was the HIGH for that day, nearly froze to death. Hit a massive cold front just S of Ft Worth. POURED rain for 2 days, spent the night in a motel not 1 hr from the house, finally said I have to get home and left out about 3 in the afternoon in pouring rain. Got home and was literally BLUE I was so cold, got in shower and had to run the cold water. Finally got warm. Prepare for the worst...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ole Cowboy, good trick with the slit jeans. Would make Draggins more comfortable in the summer ;)

I would like to add a suggestion for keeping cool while wearing a full face. Wear a neck cooler/towel of some sort. A cool/cold pack will cool the skin & fluids that flow directly into your brain from the spinal cord and blood from the heart. It will keep your head cool from the inside. As Ole Cowboys talked about cool head is important for physiological brain function. Heat related illnesses if serious enough can leave a person with diminished brain function or even death. So, it is a serious topic.

I've seen these used at summer grill outs I've gone to - cooling towels Shop Mission Blue Polyester EnduraCool Instant Cooling Towel at Lowes.com

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Weird I rode thru death valley w a full lid and survived, who would ever have thunk.

I bet cowboy also believes full helmets cause oxygen deprivation, yes that is an "excuse" ABATE uses to try and dissuade helmet usage.

Heres fact, more older riders die then young ones, younger ones die cuz they ride like they're invincible, old guys die cuz they don't wear lids. Guess they think they're invincible too.

sent from my cell phone, far far away

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I ALWAYS hear a helmet. I have seen enough full face helmets damaged right in the face to not wear one.

Shorts, the pain was right on my tail bone, and only when I took pressure off by pushing my feet into the floorboards and pushing up a little, getting my butt out of the seat, or when I stood at red lights or when I was done.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Ole Cowboy, good trick with the slit jeans. Would make Draggins more comfortable in the summer ;)

I would like to add a suggestion for keeping cool while wearing a full face. Wear a neck cooler/towel of some sort. A cool/cold pack will cool the skin & fluids that flow directly into your brain from the spinal cord and blood from the heart. It will keep your head cool from the inside. As Ole Cowboys talked about cool head is important for physiological brain function. Heat related illnesses if serious enough can leave a person with diminished brain function or even death. So, it is a serious topic.

I've seen these used at summer grill outs I've gone to - cooling towels Shop Mission Blue Polyester EnduraCool Instant Cooling Towel at Lowes.com

LOL, ole Harley guy and those AIR cooled engines get hot, HOT and HOTTER. Also wear a vest and open it but leave the bottom buttons or pull down the zipper to make it a mini wind sail to bring some air in.

You are right on with diminished brain function due to heat. I think there are a lot of accidents tied to the wearing of full helmets in very hot climes (Tex, AZ etc). I have had heat issues before and the problem is that it sneaks up on you, you don't know you are nearly heat stroke...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Weird I rode thru death valley w a full lid and survived, who would ever have thunk.

I bet cowboy also believes full helmets cause oxygen deprivation, yes that is an "excuse" ABATE uses to try and dissuade helmet usage.

Heres fact, more older riders die then young ones, younger ones die cuz they ride like they're invincible, old guys die cuz they don't wear lids. Guess they think they're invincible too.

1) Death Valley is not very large, in fact no matter the route, be it N/S or E/W its a fast drive in under an hour on hardtop. Even if you do DV and Johnson Valley its a short trip.

2) Motorcycle deaths 2011: < 50 = 2855, > 50 = 1552

Source: Insurance Institute For Highway Safety IIHS-HLDI

3) After some research I could not find any mention of ABATE saying or publishing that Oxygen deprivation was an issue or used as an excuse.

4) You might want to check your oxygen supply under your helmet, think you are getting a little light headed...LOL

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    1) Death Valley is not very large, in fact no matter the route, be it N/S or E/W its a fast drive in under an hour on hardtop. Even if you do DV and Johnson Valley its a short trip.

2) Motorcycle deaths 2011: &lt; 50 = 2855, &gt; 50 = 1552

Source: Insurance Institute For Highway Safety IIHS-HLDI

3) After some research I could not find any mention of ABATE saying or publishing that Oxygen deprivation was an issue or used as an excuse.

4) You might want to check your oxygen supply under your helmet, think you are getting a little light headed...LOL

1) you don't have a teleporter? I beamed myself to DV, rode , beamed myself back home, no way I coulda ridin there, sportbikes are no good for riding further then the nearest Starbucks.

2) according to the IIHS, riders aged 20-40 were 45%, and of course older then 45= 55%,

3) Since your an elder fella, try this thing called google, it'll help find things all over the world wide web

Search

Abate oxygen helmet

Btw, president of AbAtE died in bike wreck in 2011 coming back from abate really, you can guess his choice for head protection.

No prob You don't want to wear a lid, we're all big kids and can make our
    Own decisions, but don't make stupid excuses for your freedom of choice.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom