• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    How about yall hug and make up?

Exwife had bought a suzuki savage. It had been wreck. Barbwire had gouged the forks.

I bobbed it down. Made my own seat. Raised the gas tank. Used a fog light from the 1950s for a head light. Airbox removed. Toyota ignition. Header wrapped exhaust. Chopper wired. Oldschool tralier light for break light. Plate mount on wheel. Lowered about an inch and half.

Single cylinder. On long rides, your hands would go numb. Pretty cool exhaust note.

Even junk will cruise 500 miles. Motorcycles aint that fragile of a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wanted to know if the bike was safe and legal before suggesting that I make the motorcycle trip for him.

The result? What other response could you expect from the self proclaimed "Most Hated Member?"

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    TXI- although I mostly ignore you on this forum (as you probably know) you have been very helpful in certain situations. In this situations you are asking advice I can help you with. 500 miles is a very longway for an inexperienced motorcyclist to travel. Even going about 100 miles on a 300 lb motorcycle for me was very tiring the first time (and I was a very fit early 20's military firefighter!)

My advice is to build your strength gradually. You will be surprised how an "Easy" bike ride can turn exhausting; and its easy for people here who have been riding for years to forget how hard it is to build up that endurance. I say this as someone who does not want to see you kill yourself (literally and figuratively) on what is supposed to be a pleasure cruise. Trust me when I say you do not want to be 60 miles from home taking a nap on a Burger King bench because you didn't listen to your more experienced friends about how hard a seemingly easy ride really is. You are wise to ask first before taking the leap.

I hope my advice helps pay back some of the time you have taken to help me out (even though we secretly hate each other). :rolleyes:

Sue Girl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Burleson, TX
    Nice... what bike?

My apologies TXInvestigator, didn't even realize someone responded... My first time to make that run was on a V-Star 650... did that kind of a riding every year for three years... this last year I upgraded to the Road Star 1700... We always try to put down 600 miles the first day of vacation... kind of "get as far from home as you can" before you are really on vacation mindset LOL...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    By now, it's a safe bet that TXI isn't going to pursue my offer to ride his motorcycle south for him. I was going to make the ride just for the heck of it if he'd cover my expenses. Helping a guy who needs help doesn't work here as TXI and I would never get along.

There is some merit in helping a fellow member. Would you give it a thought? Fall is here and the weather isn't so beastly hot. Expressways are deadly boring. Take the back roads and make it an adventure! Anyone up for it?

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Not if your not used to it. Imo

True that. It had been years since i rode a dirt bike. Friend had a 125cc yamaha in a dirt pit. After15mins of a ride, my forearms were singing. No way in hell could i have stayed on that bike more then 30 mins running hard.

My hands were numb. And it didnt matter I shoveled asphalt for a living at the time.

Id work up to 100miles. Say drive from killeen, temple...to austin. Then hit san marcus. San Antonio next time. When you get to Laredo. Imo, youd be ready to go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    i have made longs trips on a bike, dallas to big bend. awesome trip. key is to start early and ride hard till lunch time or so and don't take long breaks , when u get gas and such. then slow down in the afternoon when you start to get tired .

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There is a lot of truth to what you say. I rode trials, trail riding, motocross, and hill climbed for several decades and crashed many times! It was my routine to ride the trails and when I found a trick that scared me, I'd keep riding it over & over until it didn't scare me any more.

I've heard it said that motocross/supercross is the most physically demanding of any sport. Those "whoopdees" and jumps cause physical pain! There's a pic of me jumping a big KLX 650 (50 horsepower) dirt bike in my profile album. The flying is fun. The landing hurts! Check it out!

Flash

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    And in the summertime. U need a sheepskiin seat cover. Keeps air circulating under your butt so u dont get monkey butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom