• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Actually the sign says licensed or unlicensed. I run a bar and the only people allowed by law to carry are the owner and employees of the bar and LEOs.

The 51% says licensed or unlicensed but that is not the sign I was thanking Bithabus for clearing up. It's not a bar and I can carry.
    Texas SOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    It's actually pretty simple. A Bar, no carry. A school, no carry. Federal building, no carry.

Everywhere else I carry, sign or no sign.

What part of Concealed does one not understand?

I'm fairly new to the CHL thing and also new to the forum so First-Thanks for this forum.

Second; it was my understanding any signage MUST be clearly visible by the doorway of the establishment. If it isn't, then it is simply a private sign and not a government issued sign. If it is a private sign and they don't want law abiding citizens in their establishment, then I spend my money somewhere else.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm fairly new to the CHL thing and also new to the forum so First-Thanks for this forum.

Second; it was my understanding any signage MUST be clearly visible by the doorway of the establishment. If it isn't, then it is simply a private sign and not a government issued sign. If it is a private sign and they don't want law abiding citizens in their establishment, then I spend my money somewhere else.

Sisco was insinuating that he carries unlawfully past 30.06 signs. If not, perhaps he could clarify.

The 51% sign should be displayed at the entrance; however, if you enter a place and then observe a 51% sign inside, common sense would dictate that if it is at all possible that the place could be 51% you take your firearm out.

30.06 signs are different.

And a 30.06 sign only means the owner does not want you to carry in his establishment. It is not logical to infer that he does not want you there at all. However, you do get to choose where you spend your money.

Welcome to the forum.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I’ve been in this situation. I entered a building with no signage outside, saw the 51% sign inside and did exactly what my CHL instructor told me to do. I went back to my car, disarmed and went back in. I keep my firearm well concealed and no one tried to kill me during the few minutes I was in the building armed so there was no incident. If there had been I would make the statement that there was no sign out front and when I saw the sign inside I was on my way to my car to disarm.

But if you walk into a restaurant with NO sign posted...and that restaurant has a bar, and behind the bar is a 51% sign that is in compliance, then my understanding is that you can carry in the restaurant, but not at the bar...

Like for instance....Applebees has that bar in the center of the restaurant that is almost like a separate room, I use separate room loosely...The restaurant and bar are seperate...Is that not correct?

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Hopefully the "learning" taking place about 51% is for those who have yet to acquire a CHL.

May I suggest a learning tool: Use the gun law handbook distributed at the CHL classes and hand write on a piece of notebook paper the gun laws which apply to CHL holders. This is a practice which helps with memory.

51% sign should get your attention. However, it is the TABC license which is key. Is it "blue" or is it "red". If "blue", the 51% sign you can use for target practice (figuratively speaking) because it means nothing. Sort of like the "No Gun" or any other signs not specifically meeting the requirements of 30.06 - crap means nothing for CHL holders.

Study the law. Commit your requirements "to carry" to memory. That is a CHL holder's responsibility. Lastly, don't educate business establishments about gun laws. That is their responsibility!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    But if you walk into a restaurant with NO sign posted...and that restaurant has a bar, and behind the bar is a 51% sign that is in compliance, then my understanding is that you can carry in the restaurant, but not at the bar...

Like for instance....Applebees has that bar in the center of the restaurant that is almost like a separate room, I use separate room loosely...The restaurant and bar are seperate...Is that not correct?

It all depends on the licensing. If Applebees has TWO TABC licenses, one for the patron sitting outside of the bar, and a 2nd for those inside the bar area, then yes. However, that would mean that you could not take drinks into and out of the "bar" area.

I doubt that many places are going to divide up like that. Most likely it is a mistaken posting.

I was in a hotel two weeks ago with a "bar" area on the 2nd floor. Right next to the actual "bar" from where they serve they had a big old 51% sign. I had a conversation with the bartender, and he had no idea about the sign. I asked to see the TABC license, and it read "Sign= Blue", indicating that that were NOT a 51% location.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    Just for giggles: At DFW airport the sports bar INSIDE terminal B has the 51% sign posted! So just in case you were able to get past the TSA proctology exam, don't carry in there! Government regulations at their best!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    It all depends on the licensing. If Applebees has TWO TABC licenses, one for the patron sitting outside of the bar, and a 2nd for those inside the bar area, then yes. However, that would mean that you could not take drinks into and out of the "bar" area.

I doubt that many places are going to divide up like that. Most likely it is a mistaken posting.

I was in a hotel two weeks ago with a "bar" area on the 2nd floor. Right next to the actual "bar" from where they serve they had a big old 51% sign. I had a conversation with the bartender, and he had no idea about the sign. I asked to see the TABC license, and it read "Sign= Blue", indicating that that were NOT a 51% location.

Interesting. I've seen this set up in at least a few places.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just for giggles: At DFW airport the sports bar INSIDE terminal B has the 51% sign posted! So just in case you were able to get past the TSA proctology exam, don't carry in there! Government regulations at their best!

I wouldn't be worrying about the 51% sign, I'd be worried about the felony of carrying inside of a secured zone.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

To be considered a bar the business must make most of its revenue from AB sales, and we can't carry anywhere in a bar. So unless the bar inside the Applebee's is a separate business (which it isn't) the entire place is off-limits or the sign is mistaken. As TI says the surefire way to tell is to look at the TABC license.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To be considered a bar the business must make most of its revenue from AB sales for on premise consumption, and we can't carry anywhere in a bar. So unless the bar inside the Applebee's is a separate business (which it isn't) the entire place is off-limits or the sign is mistaken. As TI says the surefire way to tell is to look at the TABC license.

Just a tiny correction, ;)

The bartender seemed clueless about the signage, but since he is a part time employee I am not surprised. I called TABC the next day and told them about the incorrect sign. Next time I am there I'll check it.

Top Bottom