Join TexasGunTalk

9mm Carbine Rifle thoughts...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Reelthrill, Oct 19, 2018.

1. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine
    So many gray areas. Could argue this without ever a firm consensus.

I'll suggest a fave of mine:
    Factory 9mm Tavor.
    Tough to find though.

Easier to find:
    Carbinesque pistol...SIG MPX short barrel with a forearm brace.
    You pointed out pricey magazines but the thick steel feed lips have a last-forever aura.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

3. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Dictionary definition would probably be much better, although no more clear, than a wiki article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    The old school HK94s had 16" barrels too. And those USC abortions were 16" as well. Those are carbines? Does a HK94 carbine cease being a carbine if you lop 6 inches of barrel off? Then it's just a HK94? Are carbine and SBR mutually exclusive then? But true M4 length barrels make them SBRs AND carbines at the same time. So confusing.

5. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Yes, exactly. The USC and HK94 are carbines in exactly the same way as the UZI carbine with the 16" barrel is a carbine. Aside from the legalities, if you lop off 6" of an HK94, you have an MP5 clone--a semi-auto version of a subgun, but you no longer have a carbine. If you lop off 6" of the UZI carbine's barrel, you wind up with what you pictured in an earlier post . . . and no longer a carbine.

This is why I say that carbines have 14.5" to 16" (ish) barrels. A big part of the lure of having a PCC is having the extra barrel length (as compared to the subgun version or the actual pistol versions) so that you maximize muzzle velocity and energy. In addition, you usually see a longer sight radius with a carbine than you do with a pistol. That's one of the weird points of the USC, the HK94, and UZI carbine--they all have the barrel to make them carbines, but they have the sight radius of the subgun. That's less-than-optimal.

6. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Freedom Ordinance FX9. Lower end for sure but a nice firearm nonetheless. Run about $650ish new. I got a steal on it used.

Shortly after picking it up I stopped at a gun store to browse. They had two different 9mm ARs for about $1200 each.

Better guns? Probably, but a little spendy for a plinker.

7. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    Thx for the info. I almost picked one up at the gun show, for about retail. Seen some good reviews on it, and uses Glock mags which are easy to come by.

8. ScS

ScS Member

Sep 14, 2017
    saline

9. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    One thing to remember, is that many PCCs don't lock the slide back when the magazine is empty. Be sure to watch for that.

10. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The FX-9 and FX-9 pistol are both excellent. Billet upper and lower, and the mag release is better than that found on an AR, if you ask me. I don't particularly like the smaller charging handle, but it works. I've certainly enjoyed both of mine and wouldn't look for buying a standard AR in 9mm.

DD130 likes this.