• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    OP... What is you opinion on NOT requiring a BOS, but asking a FTF buyer to ONLY DISPLAY a CHL/LTC? As in, no driver's license accepted.

I do offer an FFL transfer option on my for sale posts, so any (eligible) buyer with just a DL or ID can still go that route.

Why does freedom scare you?

That's a real question. You don't have to answer here, but please take a minute and answer to yourself.
    Lynx Defense

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I just want to chime in on the "only buy new" idea. I was just thinking about all the cool shit I wouldn't have found. Heck, I just picked up a good condition browning A5 from 1947 and a mint 70's norinco SKS that honestly looks brand new. I am not old enough to have had the option to get those new. I have at least one or two other pieces like that.

As to the bill of sale guys, cash and carry for me. The only thing that makes me pull my hair out more is FFL's that make there own rules. Anybody in the business gets it. Between wet ink and guys that still use a fax over email and others wanting more rules and processes then the ATF has come up with. Some days I wonder what I am even doing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    We all here love to get 'worked up' over things that are personal decisions. (yep, me too)

Don't like buying restrictions imposed by a seller - No problem - Don't buy.

Don't like buying a new 'what have you', buy used - it's your decision.

But, the passion of getting worked up...about...anything - now that's fun!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    "Only buy new....."

Crap - I'd never have put this collection together - including the three Southpaws on the right!!!

Family portrait.jpg

Attachments

• Family portrait.jpg
      Family portrait.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 271

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Texas R.N.,

Thought I was clear, but maybe not.

"I" only buy new. What you do is up to you you.

Buying anything from guns to furniture, etc. new or used - is a personal decision.

Hey, if 'used' is your druthers, by all means buy 'used'.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No, this is where folks come to prey . . .
    Believe so. I've pretty much stayed out of it, since I believe a person selling has the right to set their own terms. It may not be required by law to ask for identification and a BOS, but as far as I know it isn't prohibited by law. As long as a person requiring that let's others know his requirements, and then it's up to the buyer on whether or not they want to follow those requirements.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Believe so. I've pretty much stayed out of it, since I believe a person selling has the right to set their own terms. It may not be required by law to ask for identification and a BOS, but as far as I know it isn't prohibited by law. As long as a person requiring that let's others know his requirements, and then it's up to the buyer on whether or not they want to follow those requirements.
    Hey, I was trying to be cute. Am I not cute?
    m_hillbilly.gif

Attachments

• m_hillbilly.gif
      m_hillbilly.gif
      102 bytes · Views: 295

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree that a seller can set their own terms. The problem is many sellers don't know the law or the downfalls of a BOS.

As long as they let buyers know in advance then there is no problem.

What I hate is sites like TGTrader that have a banner at the bottom that say always use a BOS. This makes the uneducated think it is required or offers some legal protection.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t see the problem with simply judging a book by its cover. I think it’s just that simple. Don’t be stupid with your trade or transaction. After living in the city so far I can say I would turn away a lot of people away. I gotta be careful per site rules here lol. Let’s just say after being raised in a small middle class town I’m no fool to who needs to be told to leave.

I don’t understand why those of you who are active members here would need a bos. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t need a bos for the regular posters here. Only one guy who isn’t here anymore I might have had second thoughts on due to his instability and problems, but outside of that; if you can shoot the shit or have a beer with someone from here why do you need a bos? Again it’s not required by law. Would it suck if your gun was used in a crime, yes, but the law cannot punish you. If you get a knock on the door you can describe what the guy looked liked.

I joined a neighborhood watch website and here’s an example of how asking for people’s information can backfire. Long story short, and many think it was an inside job, a guy used a skimmer on a gas pump. All it took to get people’s card information. Yet some of you think it’s ok to copy where we live? Where some of us have a family or children? Think about what your asking. Judge a book by its cover and keep it simple. At the same time keep it respectful for active members here. Wanna know where we live? Do it by building friendships not a bos.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Judge a book by its cover and keep it simple. At the same time keep it respectful for active members here. Wanna know where we live? Do it by building friendships not a bos.

Give the man a See-Gar! THIS is why I hated the FB gun groups - and I admin'd a number of 'em. We had some that were run very straightforward - you try scamming someone and we'd boot yer butt in a heartbeat. All kinds of ways to "background" someone there - not literally, but you could get a good feel for who/what they were most times.

Then greed kicked in.....we had several guys that we admins KNEW were misrepresenting stuff and outright lying. We'd boot 'em....48 hours or so later, they'd be back. We had a backchannel page we'd discuss stuff on, no one could figure out how...until we finally had a "friend of a friend" that worked at FB do some digging, and found out the page OWNER was letting him back in. When confronted, he finally admitted it - and after a bit more, confessed that they had an "arrangement" (read $$$$). Several of us left the page at that point - and a few months later, FB lowered the boom anyway.

But, that's why I've told folks - get to "know" someone first - some guy comes up on the page, slaps up a few "throw-away" posts and starts selling.....I'm not gonna have a good feeling about. Same with a buyer - IF I don't "know" you, keep walking.

Top Bottom