Patriot Mobile

A real knife attack is likely to look like this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would much rather be in a gunfight than a knife fight. Look at video of stabbings from security cameras, shankings in prison, etc. Most people really have no idea the surprise, speed, and violence of action that the average, criminal using an edged weapon, will use on you. An edged weapon is probably one of the most serious threats a person could encounter. Say you get a few shots off. What if that wasn't quite enough? They may still have enough determination, blood pressure, and momentum to run into you, slash you fatally a few times, before you can fire another few rounds and put them down for good. Blades don't really malfunction and they don't run out of ammo.
    Texas SOT

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Byaah,

As I understand the laws; on your own property yes. Off, no. Texas limits the blade length to 5.5". San Antonio is even shorter.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    SO can I legally carry my USMC Kabar on my hip? Sorry to get off topic but just wondering.

Matefrio will chime in, but it looks like the law is worded in such a way that, yes you can IF you have a valid CHL and IF you are currently carrying said concealed handgun.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It really shows the importance of separation. If you don't have distance, you need some object to create separation like a pole or your car.

A knife will be faster to deploy defensively up close, but still may not be fast enough if you've allowed a threat too little separation.

The lesson I take away is to be aware of your surroundings and don't assume anything about anyone. I get why some officers have their hand resting on their gun when they approach a situation.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    As tacticool and prepared as many here like to think they are... a surprise attack would likely take most of us out. Like it or not. It's the best way to win a battle.
    Tactically speaking there is NO DEFENSE for ANY sneak attack, other than not allow it to be a surprise. In which case it's no longer a "sneak" attack. No matter what kind of comando/navy seal/ sf you might be. Can't block/evade/avoid what you don't see coming. Period.
    Somebody else said "BS Disarms" thats not entirely true..but self defense is VERY SITUATIONALLY SPECIFIC. I'm not going to try to explain how to disarm, but I did train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 8 years, it's not all ground and the knife defense work very well...if applied correctly and apporiately. But it is competely up to the practitioner to identify that threat immediately, and apply the technique with ferocity and an exceptional degree of skill. I definately agree with the common setitment "Knives are scary".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I called them BS because the people teaching them teach (IMO) way too much confidence in them. The person being disarmed freezes and doesn't resist the disarm, and they make it seem safe and clean.

It's neither. Like I said earlier, I took a knife from my ex when she was threatening to hurt herself with it. Disarm was by the book, she didn't have time to react, she didn't even fight back against what I did, not that she had any time to really put up a struggle. And yet, I've got a scar from that episode.

I will admit, it wasn't exactly a butter knife I was taking away from her. That Mora is so sharp that if you touch the edge, it's going to draw blood...

In other words, I think they're BS because it's supposed to be easy and safe. Hell no. You're going to get cut, and if you don't, it's dumb luck that either you managed to avoid the edge, or the edge wasn't a razor. I'll admit, I'd be way more comfortable trying a disarm on someone that's brandishing a Type 2 AK bayonet at me, because I know it's going to be duller than the guy waving it. Show me something that's actually sharp and I'm out.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Damn good thread! Made me think about something I don't normally worry about. I do keep an awareness about my surroundings, but the distance ...that has me rethinking my surrounding awareness and how much further out we need to be alert.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is one of the videos I was always shown:

Yep, look at 'em all run.

The main reason that bayonets still exist isn't because it's a very effective weapon. It's because it's fucking scary having that blade coming at you.

People aren't always scared of getting shot. I think it's because they don't know what it feels like (thankfully, I don't either). Some of it might be that they assume you get shot, you die, not much pain. Everybody knows what getting cut feels like.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yep, look at 'em all run.

The main reason that bayonets still exist isn't because it's a very effective weapon. It's because it's fucking scary having that blade coming at you.

People aren't always scared of getting shot. I think it's because they don't know what it feels like (thankfully, I don't either). Some of it might be that they assume you get shot, you die, not much pain. Everybody knows what getting cut feels like.

I think most people also fear the extreme blood loss, and having body parts cut off. A person can cut an arm off in one strike with an 8 inch knife.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think most people also fear the extreme blood loss, and having body parts cut off. A person can cut an arm off in one strike with an 8 inch knife.

I don't think that's part of the visceral reaction that a knife gets, though. People aren't scared on entirely an intellectual level, it's almost instinct deep. There's intellectual reasons to be scared, that's for sure. But when things happen fast, like those cops being chased around in that video, you don't have time to think "man, he could take my arm off with that knife." All you have is "oh shit oh shit knife oh shit oh shit".

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I don't think that's part of the visceral reaction that a knife gets, though. People aren't scared on entirely an intellectual level, it's almost instinct deep. There's intellectual reasons to be scared, that's for sure. But when things happen fast, like those cops being chased around in that video, you don't have time to think "man, he could take my arm off with that knife." All you have is "oh shit oh shit knife oh shit oh shit".

I can believe that. Grossman talks about the sexual penetrative aspects of knife violence. Very monkey brain stuff.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I can believe that. Grossman talks about the sexual penetrative aspects of knife violence. Very monkey brain stuff.

One of the most intimidating weapons I've ever seen is the M12 trench gun with that big ol' sword bayonet on the end of it. Second place probably goes to a Garand with the old-style sword bayonet. Hell with going against that setup... that's a huge piece of sharpened spring steel (either one!).

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Cuts and bleeding have been with humans much longer than guns.

It seems that knives and the fear of getting sliced are an evolutionary response to wild things with sharp teeth and claws. Totally primal and something we just instinctively fear.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Guy came after me with a box cutter once. Nothing compared to a 10 inch blade but he left a nasty scar on my arm when I put it up to block my face. Makes you a little more aware of what people around you have in their hands.

Top Bottom