• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Read that the psychiatrist (with Whitman) didn’t take his words seriously. Guy was a
    Marine and and Eagle Scout And All-American boy. He didn’t fit the profile.

When people free-associate, they say all KINDS of things. You CAN’T take them all at their word or YOU won’t be a shrink very long. Law enforcement and CPS would not take your calls after the first couple of weeks. No one would come see you because you have the reputation for overkill of overreacting to every thought crime.

Even today, I had a kid tell me she fantasized about attacking and tearing out the hair of her principal’s daughter who she says stole her persona because SHE is the one who has red hair and this other kid changed her hair color on purpose to steal her look. Now this kid laughed it off when I played devil’s advocate to her thoughts.

Should I call the school? If I do, therapy with this kid is over.

I would regret it, as honestly, I doubt this kid would do anything.

Stuff like this happens every day.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Appreciate your post. What then is the solution?
    Million dollar question.

Just don’t look to us (mental health community). We always love more money... but honestly... we got nothing on this. Not every body with a shitty home life or a brain tumor or even violent fantasies does a damn illegal thing with “risk factor.”” Not by a long shot. Can’t predict it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've known kids when I was working in education who had the crappiest, unbelievable home lives and the kids were stellar. I've never figured it out how they were so good with obviously crappy parents.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Seems like people here had different thoughts on this line about states that made laws that took guns away from people reported by relatives or authorities. I guess it just depends on the latest killings.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Seems like people here had different thoughts on this line about states that made laws that took guns away from people reported by relatives or authorities. I guess it just depends on the latest killings.
    Yeah, check out the murders in Chicago and New Your, where one cannot have a gun!

(Haven't read the whole thread, maybe it's addressed previously.)

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    No one is really “in” any more. Very very few. Maybe one kid a year I even know about (not treated) makes it into Austin State hospital for a few months, and that’s usually due to extensive and severe danger to self.

Because we have so many more options with psychotropic medications the past few decades, many of the symptoms that used to keep people institutionalized are able to be managed on an outpatient basis.

And, remember, unless someone has “lost it” and are out of control of themselves and a clear and imminent danger to self or others... they have the right to refuse treatment.

I read a report some time back that showed almost 100% of the "mass murderers" were on those drugs you speak of. Sorta the elephant in the room no-one talks about.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I read a report some time back that showed almost 100% of the "mass murderers" were on those drugs you speak of. Sorta the elephant in the room no-one talks about.
    Especially when someone with a developing brain is taking these psycho pills. But hey both sides of the aisle makes money off of big pharma so the scape goat will always be our rights instead

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    If you’re trying to convince me that the world would be better off without any psychotropics at all... well, I see hundreds of kids each year before and after. Not convinced. And I’m not the one benefitting from these companies. I’m providing therapy, not meds. But I wouldn’t want to work with 100 percent of my clients on no meds. Probably a good 3/4 of the kids I see in the severe symptoms realm would need them. The doctor at our clinic will pass people on to me he thinks wouldn't benefit. Kids with “oppositional defiant disorder” only... he tells them “this is a parenting problem, no meds will help this”, and sends them on to me for a cognitive-behavioral intervention only.

Mental illness is real. Psychotropics have a place. I also treat kids with therapy who aren’t on any meds and some do fine. Depends on severity of symptoms and the needs.

These kids come in for services and are OFTEN in bad shape with mucho symptoms of various diagnoses before they use ANY medications. Sometimes (quite often at the severe symptom level) they are necessary and really help.

Untreated severe depression for example, on a developing brain does lasting brain damage, it’s found.

You can tell which kids don’t take their meds properly or have stopped. You can tell who really needed them in the first place. They are NOT better off and it’s obvious.

With that being said... our psychiatrist is often quite critical of other practitioners and their medication choices used with referrals we get.

Medications aren’t for everybody. But they have a well deserved place in treatment of major mental health diagnoses. Coming from one who works alongside those prescribing meds and wouldn’t want to do without them. If I had to try to solve all the symptoms from baseline after admission with therapy only it would be BRUTAL and not pretty.

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If you’re trying to convince me that the world would be better off without any psychotropics at all... well, I see hundreds of kids each year before and after. Not convinced. And I’m not the one benefitting from these companies. I’m providing therapy, not meds. But I wouldn’t want to work with 100 percent of my clients on no meds. Probably a good 3/4 of the kids I see in the severe symptoms realm would need them. The doctor at our clinic will pass people on to me he thinks wouldnt benefit. Kids with “oppositional defiant disorder” only... he tells them “this is a parenting problem, no meds will help this, and sends them on to a behavioral intervention only.

Mental illness is real. Psychotropics have a place. I also treat kids with therapy who aren’t on any meds and some do fine. Depends on severity of symptoms and the needs. These kids come in for services and are in bad shape with mucho symptoms of
    various diagnoses before they use ANY medications. Sometimes (quite often at the severe symptom level) they are necessary and really help.

You can tell the kids who don’t take their meds properly or have stopped who really needed them in the first place. They are NOT better off and it’s obvious.

With that being said... our psychiatrist is often quite critical of other practitioners and their medication choices used with referrals we get.

Medications aren’t for everybody. But they have a well deserved place in treatment of major mental health diagnoses. Coming from one who works alongside those prescribing meds and wouldn’t want to do without them. If I had to try to solve all the symptoms from baseline after admission with therapy only it would be BRUTAL and not pretty.

I agree that they have their place. I also feel that if you are so severe to the point where you need to take pills that turn you into a drooling idiot, you should probably be in an institution. I appreciate you being one of us and working in that field though. My wife is a nurse and she is absolutely demoralized after seeing what the medical field has turned into.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I agree that they have their place. I also feel that if you are so severe to the point where you need to take pills that turn you into a drooling idiot, you should probably be in an institution. I appreciate you being one of us and working in that field though. My wife is a nurse and she is absolutely demoralized after seeing what the medical field has turned into.
    Most of the kids we get that are drooling need their meds changed and adjusted, and then they are better.

Kids don’t usually need to get locked up, if they do, they can be treated and then released to less severe forms of treatment (outpatient, like what I do). Sometimes it takes months. I’ve got one coming up that I’ll be seeing again after a year or two of correctional facility/residential mental health treatment interrupted our (previously ineffective) outpatient therapy relationship. Can’t wait to see if she’s better or worse than when I last had her for a client.

Not one of us where I work at (community service center, government contracted) want to see a kid in that ‘drooling’ position. Pharmacologically restrained... it isn’t a good thing in the vast majority of cases.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Hey, I just wanted to say I appreciate your comments. I learned a few things today.
    Yay! I’m just a front line person, not a researcher though. So I don’t always have all the info.

Therapy is great too to address symptoms. I’m now earning an awesome family therapy certification teaching a parenting method to get little kids in line. The discipline part (after the part where you learn to modify the kid’s behavior by praising WITH SPECIFICS outlining and naming exactly the things he does right (things that are in DIRECT contrast to the things that are disruptive) addresses that if they don’t follow a command or break a serious house rule that they AREN’T gonna get away with it. But it only works on little kids, around six and under. If you don’t catch it early, it’s not very effective.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I really think our culture is a big part of this. I blame entitlement culture and idle hands. There. Done. Let’s fix this.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I really think our culture is a big part of this. I blame entitlement culture and idle hands. There. Done. Let’s fix this.
    Send them all to work camps. Just kidding, but I do believe in some type of manditory public service. Nothing dispells the special snowflake myth better than military boot camps, but it could be more local as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom