Target Sports

Ah crap... Navy yard shooting. 10 hit, not sure how many dead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    So they are saying this guy had criminal record and TX CHL... WTF??

I had my doubts about this as well, but they are saying on the news that he was never convicted of any crime in Seattle, the ppwk was "lost". He was only arrested in Ft.Worth but not convicted of any crime. So AFAIK, he could have a TX CHL as long as he lied about his mental health issues.
    DK Firearms

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I had my doubts about this as well, but they are saying on the news that he was never convicted of any crime in Seattle, the ppwk was "lost". He was only arrested in Ft.Worth but not convicted of any crime. So AFAIK, he could have a TX CHL as long as he lied about his mental health issues.

What mental health issues are they saying he might have?

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    News from The Associated Press
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    2004, Alexis was arrested in Seattle for shooting the tires of a construction worker's car during what he later called an anger-fueled 'blackout.'
    'He said that he didn’t remember pulling the trigger of his firearm until about one hour later,' according to the Seattle police report.
    Later he said that he felt the intended victim 'disrespected' him.
    The report states that his father said his anger issues stemmed back to his time in New York where he helped the rescue efforts following the September 11 terrorist attacks.
    The shooter's father told police 'that his son had experienced anger management problems that the family believed associated [sic] with PTSD.'
    He was arrested in relation to that incident but never charged, an outcome repeated in Fort Worth, Texas where Alexis was living in 2010.

he was arrested for discharging a firearm when his neighbor reported that he fired a shot into her apartment. At the time, Alexis claimed that his hand slipped when he was cleaning his gun while cooking at the same time, and that he accidentally fired the weapon.
    New reports also claim that Alexis was arrested for a second time in DeKalb county, Georgia and spent two nights in jail over a disorderly conduct charge but no further details have been released about that incident.
    Family members of the Washington shooter are 'distraught' to learn that he carried out the massacre, relatives told MailOnline today.

Washington Naval Yard shooting: Aaron Alexis named as gunman who murdered 12 and injured 15 | Mail Online

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    This info is only as good as the source, so I'm sure we'll have a better picture of what lead up to this in a few weeks or so.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    My only concession about any gun control is a way to keep the mentally ill from having access to guns. Look at the Colorado, Arizona, Connecticut shootings. All had mental disorders. The hangup is a 1970's era supreme court decision that gave the mentally ill freedom to do what ever they want as long as they dont hurt themselves or someone else. Thats the problem, you have to wait until they mess up before you can do anything.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My only concession about any gun control is a way to keep the mentally ill from having access to guns. Look at the Colorado, Arizona, Connecticut shootings. All had mental disorders. The hangup is a 1970's era supreme court decision that gave the mentally ill freedom to do what ever they want as long as they dont hurt themselves or someone else. Thats the problem, you have to wait until they mess up before you can do anything.

You got that right! Years ago, a mentally unbalanced person could be sent to a State Mental Institution. Then, the leftists, not wanting to look like their Soviet mentors, insisted that the mentally ill were "political prisoners."

The Soviets treated rational, freedom loving dissidents as mental cases. The American Left treated truly sick mental cases as a new voter base.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I dont have any answers. There are some really wacko people in our society that never ever should have access to guns. I am talking about the people with NO criminal records and get committed to mental hospitals all the time with NO records ever in any police reports. My 70 yo paranoid schizophrenic mom knocked the crap out of a female deputy sheriff 2 months ago when they were taking her in for mental evaluation (long story). There is NO police record anywhere....nothing..just sent her butt to Kingwood Pines mental hospital for her yearly reset button. She has terrorist, FBI, world power, electrolode attacks, etc....and yet no criminal record at all and would pass a background check. SHE should never ever be able to buy a gun!!!! But legally can. How do we fix that?

Driller

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I dont have any answers. There are some really wacko people in our society that never ever should have access to guns. I am talking about the people with NO criminal records and get committed to mental hospitals all the time with NO records ever in any police reports. My 70 yo paranoid schizophrenic mom knocked the crap out of a female deputy sheriff 2 months ago when they were taking her in for mental evaluation (long story). There is NO police record anywhere....nothing..just sent her butt to Kingwood Pines mental hospital for her yearly reset button. She has terrorist, FBI, world power, electrolode attacks, etc....and yet no criminal record at all and would pass a background check. SHE should never ever be able to buy a gun!!!! But legally can. How do we fix that?

Driller

I know this is really hard for some people to accept, but here goes, WE CAN'T. We live in am imperfect world, humans are far from perfect creatures. Freedom will never bring a perfect utopia, but neither does striving for it through totalitarian rule. Freedom however does give the individual the best chance to at least create their own vision of utopia and work to make it a reality.

Does allowing everyone to buy guns allow some bad/crazy people to get them? Of course it does but it doesn't work the other way around, you ALWAYS create a black market for a product when you outlaw it for part or all of the populace. Best thing we can do is have as many law abiding gun owners around to keep the nayerdowells at bay and getting rid of all the red tape to buy weapons allows for more good guys then bad guys I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I JUST SAW ON FOX, THAT "OFFICIALS WERE WARNED WEEKS BEFORE THE SHOOTING". This is sad. Damn near every time there is a tragedy like this, there was some sort of warning before hand.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It sucks in cases like this, but there's not a whole lot they can do just based off hearing that an individual may cut loose. They already had security in place, but were dealing with a lighter force due to the cutbacks. Its my understanding, he stole the third suspects key card (the white guy who got cleared), so there's not much they coulda done about that either.

That base is where the Chief of Naval Operations works. He's kinda a big deal. Pretty much the top guy in the Navy. They also had several commands that over see the Navy. So security can't really just focus their efforts on one part of base until shit goes down.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Driller

I'm not trying to pry, but rather understand.....

When she goes for her yearly reset, is it on 72 hours mental health hold and then automatically released or is it a longer stay that a court or some sort of government agency commits her to?

I JUST SAW ON FOX, THAT "OFFICIALS WERE WARNED WEEKS BEFORE THE SHOOTING". This is sad. Damn near every time there is a tragedy like this, there was some sort of warning before hand.

Too many who's, what's and when's.. Is there viewable paperwork about this warning? I'm not saying there is or is not, but the news will repeat or embellish anything anyone may have said unofficially and make it out to be something more then it is.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I think there will always be a way for someone seeking to do evil to get onto bases, into schools, etc...... I think we should focus on the fact that "gun free" environments are being chosen as a place to do harm. Why are our military bases "gun free" zones? Aren't these people sworn to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States? I think any military member with the rank of E-4 and above should be allowed carry a sidearm on base. I picked E-4 because that will give the military 2-3 years to weed out the nutcases. If they want to require training and qualification, that's fine. That's what these people are in the military for, to protect our rights as citizens.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Have you seen some of the non-combatant types in the field with a firearm? They can be scary. I think that may be part of why base is gun free. Not saying I agree with base gun regs-thats just always been my assumption.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Have you seen some of the non-combatant types in the field with a firearm? They can be scary. I think that may be part of why base is gun free. Not saying I agree with base gun regs-thats just always been my assumption.

I don't think anybody should be forced to carry a sidearm in a non-combat role. I don't think people working on multimillion dollar jets with jet fuel, bombs, radar, hydraulics, etc.... should be allowed to carry a sidearm while at work. I don't like the idea of some 19 year old just out of basic training carrying a gun.

Here's how I would do it. Anybody E-4 and up who wants to go through the extra training(similar to CHL training) should be able to carry concealed on base when out of uniform or openly in uniform unless their job will not allow it.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It is just difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that people in the military would need extra training if they were going
    to carry a weapon on base...

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Cam, you should see some of these guys. There was a pic floating around in Guatemala at my camp of an E5 I knew sitting on sandbags at the smoke pit, mag inserted in rifle, forehead resting on muzzle, while he rests. I saw countless people drop rifles with mags inserted, and even leave guns behind on occasion. Then there were the occasional accidental discharges in tent cities. I can't say this for ARMY or USMC, but from what I saw-Navy and most of the Air Force are basically walking around with just boot camp training.

I agree-offer extended gun safety and training courses, and whoever goes on their off-time, be allowed to carry.

Top Bottom