Gun Zone Deals

Alright folks. What is up with these diesel trucks blowing smoke!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Self regulating assumes they possess a higher level of maturity than they are displaying. The problem should correct itself in time but not always...

Sent from my Obama phone.
    DK Firearms

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I drove an 18 wheeler for over 30 years (Mostly Cummins and Cats). I have seen a few puffs of black smoke in my time, but if it pours out regularly, I'd advise them to have it checked out.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    The first sign of a liberal is thinking someone else should do what you think is right. Sorry if your Prius got a little stinky....

Oh yeah, my poor prius lol.....no, but there is still something called being a decent human or leading by example, Hell, even being a role model...excuse me while I leave my ethics at the door....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Reading and comprehension isn't one of the highlights on your resume is it or was that you in the Explorer?

Yes, I was a D'Bag too and it felt as refreshing as a cool summer breeze.

Nope, absolutely suck at reading comprehension...my bad. Explorer? I'll never drive or own one, my Jeep is more than enough. Glad you enjoyed your summer breeze....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why? Its less harmful than the exhaust fumes from a gasoline engine. Its just carbon and unburnt fuel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Except the exhaust fumes from my wife's car don't block other motorists vision.

It's also an extremely high concentration of carbon and unburnt fuel as compared to what most gasoline engines are putting out.

It really doesn't bother me except for the jackasses that set it up because they think it's cool to jack with other drivers. And those little stacks they use to replicate a large penis don't get the smoke up high enough to keep it out of the way.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I had Diesel engine classes and they taught us that if a Diesel smokes like that, it's either over fueled or under aired.

Flash

that is right.

most of the new SCR equipped trucks don't smoke like that I've noticed
    the one you saw, must have been a few years old

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, the DPF stops the smoke, over fueling one will get expensive real quick.

In non emissions counties I know some who are removing the filter and putting dummy sensors in place to keep the engine light off. Can't blame them, all the emissions crap robs a lot of power from the engines and buying DEF fluid sucks.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Diesel is the new rice. Has been for a few years at least.

Personally I don't like it. That said my truck will haze under heavy acceleration. It is stock. The top programmers out there (Like EFILive & recently the new Smarty) can put out the power without the smoke. These type of programmers control all the ECM parameters, essentially reprogrammng the brain of the truck. That includes timing, fuel delivery - everything to actually fine tune the truck.

The trucks you see blowing smoke are not the same type of programmer (but can be tuned to do so). The plug in play pressure/timing boxes or the generic programmer to download a "tune" just run the truck through a generic program. Has nothing to do with the "brain" (ECM) but act as a filter to change the signals between the brain and the hard part, like injectors. It's the difference between wearing a suit off the rack vs wearing a suit tailored to you. Those programmers are a one size fits all and make no accommodation for what the truck parameters are to start with. An inefficient truck still remains inefficient. A good tune like from EFI or Smarty do program the truck for efficiency or power. It is in the timing and fuel delivery. The conditions between city and hwy driving task a diesel on efficiency. And that changes driveability in those two conditions too. How many folks get impatient in traffic from a 'slow diesel' ? If you are one of those don't bitch about the truck hustling to get up to speed. Changing some parameters will help the acceleration off the line. You're trying to get rolling 7k+ lbs from a stop. But it can be done without smoke. It does require money though. The pressure/timing box tuners cost $50-$400. On the other hand a prime top tier programmer like the EFI for example cost about $1200 when it is said and done. You need the order the hand held controller box and you have to hire a licensed programmer to write a tune based on a download of the truck's current program. Most businesses offer the fine tuning services where they send the tune back and forth between them and the customer. After each adjustment on the tune a scan can be performed on the truck by the handheld controller that records the performance of all systems under that tune. The tune is sent back to the programmer, looked at then adjusted based on the customer goals. Remember when guys would tune the carbs on their muscle cars by just turning screws under the hood? Well that's what the programmer is doing, but on the computer screen on the parameters chart.

Anyway, the smokers irritate me as much as the next person. Those dillholes give the rest of us a bad name. Just know there is a difference in tuners/programmers. Not everyone who runs one is some bubba. Not every diesel driver is a prick.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Actually, Diesel exhaust has been found to be carcinogenic. Not nearly enough shop employees know this though.

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/pollution/diesel-exhaust

Then next year a study will come out backtracking on this study.. lol. How it usually happens, isn't it?

Personally, the smoke doesn't bother me. I will take the smoke over idiots who cannot drive properly any day. Ie sitting in the left lane clogging traffic, sitting in a right lane preventing me from turning, not driving the speed limit, ect.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then next year a study will come out backtracking on this study.. lol. How it usually happens, isn't it?

Personally, the smoke doesn't bother me. I will take the smoke over idiots who cannot drive properly any day. Ie sitting in the left lane clogging traffic, sitting in a right lane preventing me from turning, not driving the speed limit, ect.

I agree about the studies. Pretty much anything can cause cancer, ESP if the study is done in California.

I've noticed most of the jackasses blowing smoke are also shitty drivers. Even the trucks that do have a tendency to smoke a lot are pretty clean when they don't have a jackass behind the wheel flooring it every chance they get.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    We used to run our M-109 self-propelled howitzers powered by Detroit Turbo Charged Diesels flat out to governed speed twice a year -- WOT. Got up to about 35 mph on the first run, and 42 mph on the second run. No tuning or fuel additives. Improved mileage from 1.6 to 3 MPG.

The flockers spewed thick black smoke as the rpms rose, then went to gray, then clean.

Every now and then you have to run a diesel to red line just to blast away all the crap that builds up under idle and low rpm conditions.

When I jump on the throttle of my Cummings 5.9, it blows a cloud of smoke that could cover an opposed river crossing. After a few moments it clears. No tuner, no additives. 22 mpg unloaded; 14 mpg towing a 7,500 lb load.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    simple stupid immature people (kids and adults) think its cool. yes diesel is the new rice, thats why when I no longer had a use for my diesel pickup I sold them. for a time I too was one of the immature idiots but I quickly realized how stupid it was.

Top Bottom