• ...and so much more!
  • MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Renegade, bitibus and sherlock, you are mis-quoting here is what it says "On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, ANY GROUNDS or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted ......." The operative word here is GROUNDS.

Give up. If you are an instructor you better call everyone that you told they could carry legally @ a school.

I am Just an old ex-cop that reads carefully.

I dont really know who's right about this but I will tell ya this, the way the campus carry is and the grey areas of the law can be miss used by cops that act like natzi's, I wouldnt carry on campus no matter who said what.
    When the laws are written to have one meaning, I'll be much happier. We have too many negative issues involve with guns on campus. I honestly feel like anyone carrying on campus is asking for trouble right now!
    With or without a CHL, I wouldnt do it.
    The Old Ex Cop makes since to me..
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Renegade, bitibus and sherlock, you are mis-quoting here is what it says "On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, ANY GROUNDS or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted ......." The operative word here is GROUNDS.

Give up. If you are an instructor you better call everyone that you told they could carry legally @ a school.

With all due respect to your LE service, they are not misquoting. You can lawfully carry anwhere except a building or a portion of a building. The definition of premises specifically excludes parking lots, sidewalks, driveways, parking garages and streets.

Grounds would cover say..................a band performance at the football stadium, or a carnival held in a parking lot. You could not carry there. By using the phrase, "GROUNDS or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted" they then include field trips off campus, etc. For example, The Arlington ISD conducted graduation at Verizon Theater (A private facility not statutorily off limits) and since it was a building on which a school sponsered event was being conducted, carry there would have been illegal.

No bill from me today........... ;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I dont think so > Read premises again. Premises does not mean only buildings.

So am I.

OK, lets just cut to the chase. Campus carry is lawful. I can park my car in a CAMPUS PARKING LOT, walk on the SIDEWALK, go thru the PARKING GARAGE and carry anywhere but a BUILDING OR PORTION OF A BUILDING, or somewhere that has a school sponsered event taking place. That is campus carry.

What the media fails to mention is that to be practical, we need no restrictions on campus carry. If I cannot carry my handgun into class, then it effectively means I cannot carry it across the campus to my class or to my dorm. The renders me dis-armed.

Not many students just walk around without needing to go into a restricted place.

Hope that makes sense.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've carried "on campus" many many many times. I picked up an ex-girlfriend every day from her classes. I would park, walk a bit and meet her in front of one of the buildings. Sometimes we would walk around the campus enjoying the fresh air or I would bring some lunch and we would have a picnic, of sorts, on one of the well manicured lawns. Its a public place. I'm not a student, yet I have every right to be in those places at any time. I've always considered the premises to be any place with controlled entry by the school. If a professor decided to take his class outside and sit under a tree, I'm not on the school premises walking by, or even sitting down with the students. The school has no control over who is there. If the chior decided to sing Christmas carrols on the sidewalk, that doesn't mean I'm automatically breaking a law by walking on it. Maybe that's wrong, but that's the way it's always made sense to me.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

You have to read the entire sentence. In this case "grounds" is not the operative word, but I'd say "sponsored" is. This has already been addressed by other members though. Another example: the yard at any Texas University is legal to carry with a CHL, but if one day the drama club presents an outdoors production of Macbeth in that yard then you may not carry there during the production.

TI gave a good response which describes the reality of the matter. Visitors can carry all over campus but students on the way to class cannot since it is illegal to enter the buildings armed.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I dont really know who's right about this but I will tell ya this, the way the campus carry is and the grey areas of the law can be miss used by cops that act like natzi's, I wouldnt carry on campus no matter who said what.
    When the laws are written to have one meaning, I'll be much happier. We have too many negative issues involve with guns on campus. I honestly feel like anyone carrying on campus is asking for trouble right now!
    With or without a CHL, I wouldnt do it.
    The Old Ex Cop makes since to me..

The law is very clear on this one.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You don't need to be traveling.

+1

Here it is:

(a-1)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person ’s control at any time in which:
    (1)the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2)the person is:
    (A)engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B)prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
    or
    (C)a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01

border bandit

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Yes if you will send me your address TX Instigator (Sherlock) and the other 2 ..Your bill will be in the mail.
    You should not be teaching the CHL in Texas if you interpret the law the way you do. Read the States definition of GROUNDS...You probably even teach as a bunch of wannabes do that you can shoot a fleeing suspect in a burglary.
    Campus Carry is not Lawful except in driveways parking lost Etc. You may not carry on the grounds as it plainly states.
    Are you an investigator for 7/11.. Keepp diging your not going to0 get out Bithbus (Sponsored is only a portion) sherlock and yes i am still sending you a bill because you are OBFUSCATING, all 3 of you

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Yes if you will send me your address TX Instigator (Sherlock) and the other 2 ..Your bill will be in the mail.
    You should not be teaching the CHL in Texas if you interpret the law the way you do. Read the States definition of GROUNDS...You probably even teach as a bunch of wannabes do that you can shoot a fleeing suspect in a burglary.
    Campus Carry is not Lawful except in driveways parking lost Etc. You may not carry on the grounds as it plainly states.
    Are you an investigator for 7/11.. Keepp diging your not going to0 get out Bithbus (Sponsored is only a portion) sherlock and yes i am still sending you a bill because you are OBFUSCATING, all 3 of you

TI is usually pretty accurate in his analysis. Why all the anger and insults?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I thought you could shoot a fleeing suspect as long as they were fleeing with your property. I remember a local guy doing this and got no problem from the grand jury. The crook grabed money from his register and ran out the store. The owner shop him as he was running down the street.
    Has something to do with recovering your property, use lethal force is necessary.
    I support this 110% and I will also carry it out.
    I also know you can shoot a fleeing suspect if they dont have anything. I would also support making that legal. Simply beause if people dont want their ass shot, they shouldnt violate someone's property.

border bandit

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Texas cop 2 You arent reading me That wasnt an insult and I havent got angry I am just stating the obvious.

And renegade You may only use deadly force to stop unlawful deadly force. What deadly force is being used against you when a supect is fleeing your home with a camera? You are only authorised to recover your property if you are in immediate and fresh pursuit after the theft, but if any other force less than deadly force would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.. then you could use deadly force. Read it.

I wish I had more time to educate people who cant interpret the law. Actually this is getting boring.

Dig the hole deeper.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    This guy is (was) a troll.

And renegade You may only use deadly force to stop unlawful deadly force. What deadly force is being used against you when a supect is fleeing your home with a camera? You are only authorised to recover your property if you are in immediate and fresh pursuit after the theft, but if any other force less than deadly force would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.. then you could use deadly force. Read it.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Joe Horn's story is a good read. Im impressed with the grandjury's decission to leave the man alone.
    That was a fine day for Texas Law Enforcement.
    I often wonder would the decission be different if Mr. Horn was not as old. Say 30 or so.

Top Bottom