• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    You and Doc must have the same major malfunction. What do you NOT understand about fences doing nothing to curtail the hog problem? Ive never seen a fence or pen that could hold a wild hog. Let me guess, youve never had any experience with hogs?

This. I have extremely well built fences on 1k acres of farm down in palacios. Your welcome to inspect the damage hogs do to it.

sent from my dishwasher
    Capitol Armory ad

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The ONLY pen Ive EVER seen be able to hold wild hogs was made out of old drilling stem pipe that was spaced 4" apart and had a solid concrete base around the entire base of the pen and had an angle iron door but I dont see that being instituted throughout the entire southern corridor of SH130.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Minefields would solve this problem. A few bouncing Betty's and POW! Instant bacon raining from the sky.

Why does the toll road smell like breakfast? ;)

Because it's not THAT expensive, and it's a neat engineered solution to a problem. But we can always just whine when we come across a solution that isn't completely perfect. It's not like anyone needs incremental progress.

Because Tposts and barbed wire isn't a "solution" for hogs.

Definition of SOLUTION

a : an action or process of solving a problem
    b : an answer to a problem : explanation; specifically : a set of values of the variables that satisfies an equation

a : an act or the process by which a solid, liquid, or gaseous substance is homogeneously mixed with a liquid or sometimes a gas or solid
    b : a homogeneous mixture formed by this process; especially : a single-phase liquid system
    c : the condition of being dissolved

: a bringing or coming to an end or into a state of discontinuity

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Can't we all just get along?

Back to the thread.

I'm in favor of the hunting tower idea. That would be awesome. Shut the road down for 2-4 days out of the month and hunt the dookie out of it.

From the desk of a literate squirrel named Leonard.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, maybe that fence idea wasn't so hot coming from someone who has never been around wild hogs (guilty lol). I wasn't thinking barbed wire, but if even heavy duty fences can't do the trick.....what size rifle should I go buy? :D

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yea, maybe that fence idea wasn't so hot coming from someone who has never been around wild hogs (guilty lol). I wasn't thinking barbed wire, but if even heavy duty fences can't do the trick.....what size rifle should I go buy?

TRUST me - you ain't the first to underestimate hogs - domestic OR feral/wild! They're some of the smartest, most wiley critters out there, and between their strength and teeth, not much will stand up against 'em for long. I've seen 'em pile mud up ta short out electric fences, and have proven personally that I can do a sub 2-second hunnert yard dash when a big ol' boar got loose that could do in in 2 seconds, LOL!!!

Seriously, though - they ARE smart, and can be VERY aggressive when cornered/threatened, so it pays to NEVER underestimate 'em. They tend to grow a heavy cartilidge "armour" just behind their shoulder that's damned near bullet-proof. When I'm huntin' 'em, I tend to use a .35 lever-action. I'd rather use a 7mm mag or larger, but bolt guns usually have longer barrels, and their actions aren't as fast (to me, at least) as a good lever-action.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Why does the toll road smell like breakfast? ;)

Because Tposts and barbed wire isn't a "solution" for hogs.

Definition of SOLUTION

a : an action or process of solving a problem
    b : an answer to a problem : explanation; specifically : a set of values of the variables that satisfies an equation

a : an act or the process by which a solid, liquid, or gaseous substance is homogeneously mixed with a liquid or sometimes a gas or solid
    b : a homogeneous mixture formed by this process; especially : a single-phase liquid system
    c : the condition of being dissolved

: a bringing or coming to an end or into a state of discontinuity

I was talking about mine. My solution works great, it's just too expensive to implement on the whole of 130.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I would have to ask permission of family to allow people to come out, which i would be doubtful to get. We have beefmaster cows, and they are quite expensive to risk someone accidently shooting one

sent from my dishwasher

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Wow ive never heard of em piling up mud to short out an electric fence. Thats crazy. A lever action 45-70 or 444 would be sweet. I went the 458 socom AR route, Ive got hopes that it'll put a hurtin on em like the old school lever actions.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We need to just make toll roads illegal in the state.

Also, given the danger and negligence in setting the speed limit, I wouldn't mind seeing the road seized.
    Why make them illegal? Their implementation leaves a bit to be desired, but I like the idea of toll roads. Negligent speed limit? You sound like a protectionist...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Wow ive never heard of em piling up mud to short out an electric fence. Thats crazy. A lever action 45-70 or 444 would be sweet. I went the 458 socom AR route, Ive got hopes that it'll put a hurtin on em like the old school lever actions.

Yessir - saw 'em doin' that routinely back when we raised 'em. Pigs are a LOT smarter than most give 'em credit for.

I like the .35 because the rounds are fairly inexpensive, and I use it when I'm in brush country. If I'm shooting in open country, then it's pretty much whatever will penetrate and prove ultimately fatal to 'em. To me, they're nuisance game - and it may not be PC, but I'm frankly not worried about "clean kills" when I'm trying to eradicate herds of 'em. I'll do follow-up shots on 'em later as needed - but Job 1 is to get a round into 'em.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Yessir - saw 'em doin' that routinely back when we raised 'em. Pigs are a LOT smarter than most give 'em credit for.

I like the .35 because the rounds are fairly inexpensive, and I use it when I'm in brush country. If I'm shooting in open country, then it's pretty much whatever will penetrate and prove ultimately fatal to 'em. To me, they're nuisance game - and it may not be PC, but I'm frankly not worried about "clean kills" when I'm trying to eradicate herds of 'em. I'll do follow-up shots on 'em later as needed - but Job 1 is to get a round into 'em.

Dis. They dont suffer for long

sent from my dishwasher

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I remember pigs being one of the smartest animals. (Is that still true or did that change when they said Pluto was no longer a planet?)

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here

Allow me to concur with much experience. I've never had to administer more than one 200gr sleeping pill per hog in my years of pig hunting.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio

hell yes

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yall must be a lot better shots than me or shooting smaller pigs as I've had to shot a hog more than once on many occasions. Ive also put them down with a 17hmr too so...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom