Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Load of choice for hogs?
    smith ranch 9.jpg
    I've grown quite fond of using a Rem Core Lokt 165gr PSP .30-06
    It dropped this sucker right where he was. Round broke right through his shoulder.

TRUST me - you ain't the first to underestimate hogs - domestic OR feral/wild! They're some of the smartest, most wiley critters out there, and between their strength and teeth, not much will stand up against 'em for long.
    +1
    Texas SOT

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yall must be a lot better shots than me or shooting smaller pigs as I've had to shot a hog more than once on many occasions. Ive also put them down with a 17hmr too so...

Sorry if I wasn't clear....when we're clearing hogs as nuisances, I'm looking to put a round in 'em, then move on to the next one. Final/clean-up shots come after I've gotten a round into every last one I possibly can. Years back it was nothing to top a hill and encounter 50+ hogs in a single herd down in Laredo - so Job 1 - put a round into every body possible, finish 'em off later.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sorry if I wasn't clear....when we're clearing hogs as nuisances, I'm looking to put a round in 'em, then move on to the next one. Final/clean-up shots come after I've gotten a round into every last one I possibly can. Years back it was nothing to top a hill and encounter 50+ hogs in a single herd down in Laredo - so Job 1 - put a round into every body possible, finish 'em off later.

AK + drum!

eff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Central Texas
    About 10 years ago my wife was driving at night on Hwy 97 between Pleasanton and Floresville. She hit a pack of hogs. The DPS officer counted 13 dead and he had to kill several more that were badly injured. The Ford Winstar had a slight crease in the driver front fender, a bent rim, and popped air bags. She was lucky. That was all the damage. She drove that Winstar another 5 years.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    We just need to put those shock collars on all the hogs, with an invisible fence alongside the highway.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    “They got caught up in the wheels like marbles,” she said.
    Back in the 1970s when I took Driver's Ed in central Texas, we were taught that the two animals you most need to look for were hogs and vultures.

Hogs, we were told, were bad specifically because of what the lady in the accident is quoted as saying. Being low and dense, they're liable to get under the car and lever it up off the road. Cars are not meant to travel without all wheels on the ground so this usually ends badly.

Vultures eating road kill were another issue. Startle 'em and they're likely to fly away. When they try to get off the ground, their instinct is to jump into or run across the most active nearby thermal area in order to catch the rising air. Well, if they're eating on the side of the road the best source of hot, rising air is probably the roadway itself. Long story short, they'll jump or waddle right out in front of you.

I've never hit a hog but I was in a car where a vulture, in exactly the manner described above, impacted the front windshield.

From all that, I gather my old Driver's Ed instructor had an idea what he was talking about.

Lordy, would I hate to hit just one big hog traveling 85+mph!

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I bet my truck could take a whole pack of hogs at 85mph. :p

I once hit a turkey vulture at ~140mph. Didn't lose control, but the impact damn near totaled the car.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Back in the 1970s when I took Driver's Ed in central Texas, we were taught that the two animals you most need to look for were hogs and vultures.

Hogs, we were told, were bad specifically because of what the lady in the accident is quoted as saying. Being low and dense, they're liable to get under the car and lever it up off the road. Cars are not meant to travel without all wheels on the ground so this usually ends badly.

Vultures eating road kill were another issue. Startle 'em and they're likely to fly away. When they try to get off the ground, their instinct is to jump into or run across the most active nearby thermal area in order to catch the rising air. Well, if they're eating on the side of the road the best source of hot, rising air is probably the roadway itself. Long story short, they'll jump or waddle right out in front of you.

I've never hit a hog but I was in a car where a vulture, in exactly the manner described above, impacted the front windshield.

From all that, I gather my old Driver's Ed instructor had an idea what he was talking about.

Lordy, would I hate to hit just one big hog traveling 85+mph!

I never thought much of buzzards until I was sitting in the passenger seat when one hit right in front of my face.

I put my head down fast enough to keep glass from getting in my eyes but got numerous cuts trying to get it off my arms and face. We had probably gotten slowed down to under 45 when it hit.

I give them a lot more room now.

Top Bottom