• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Do me a favor. Explain why cutting down on the time and distance needed to avoid a collision is a bad thing. Because that's the whole idea behind lowering the speed limit, is to give people more time to react and avoid whatever's in the road. That's especially true at night, when your senses can be dulled and your reaction time takes one hell of a hit, hence why quite a few highways have differing day/night speed limits.

Or did you not even consider that before ya went off? Also, you apparently missed the word "example" in that post. Saying someone is ignorant, and then being ignorant yourself -really- doesn't make you look much better.

Are you aware of how slow 40mph is on a highway? We're talking about an invasive animal here, not children playing kickball.
    Texas SOT

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Just that statement tells me all I need to know about the driver........

Your sentiment is correct.

Though I think it was the husband who was driving and the lady who said that was in the passenger seat.

As for this thread, some people really need to learn and adhere to the concept of "stay in your lane"

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Young folks don't remember the National 55 mph speed limit......day or night....

I drove I10 through West Texas a few times when there was still a 65 night limit and that was bad enough. The 55 national limit sucked even worse. I remember taking family vacations from Michigan to West Virginia and New Jersey on the freeway in those days. It was ridiculous. Couldn't make Jersey in a single shot, had to stop for the night somewhere.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I never said it'd be effective, I just said it'd be cheap, which seemed to be your biggest concern. Sorry for getting under y'alls skin.

Realistically, the best option would be to simply lower the speed limit for day travel, and enact a different speed limit for night travel (say, 65 and 40 MPH respectively, for example). And yeah, they'll learn to avoid the road eventually, but that's at least a few years off.

Cheap and ineffective is actually very expensive...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Doc, youre an idiot, Ill leave it at that.

To shed some light on SH130, from what I know/remember here goes.

On the speed limit thing, the road was designed for 85mph speed limits. Ever notice how looonnngggg the turns are and how slow the elevation changes are? Even if the state of Texas bought the road back from the spanish company(cant/wont happen but they do only own section 5 and 6 which is from Buda to I10) the speed limit would stay the same. TXDOT did the study which basically consists of projected amount of traffic and the actual design of the road. Well as M.Sage put it, nobody drives the damn thing so traffic volume is relatively low, and the road was designed for high speed so that was already taken care of. Ever wonder why all the sudden the northern sections had the speed limit raised? Because the "study" was done for all sections at once. Thus, the only way the speed limit will be lowered is when its deemed a public safety hazard which the hog thing could very well cause a speed limit drop. I havent a clue as to what itll take for a revision of the speed limit.

As far as the asinine path they built sections 5 and 6 on, well thats simply. Heard of imminent domain? They simple couldnt secure a path closer to 35 than they did. When we started the project there were actual parcels of land we couldnt drive because they hadnt secured the contract for that land. Hell they even had to build "cattle tunnels" for various ranchers whos land was split. I agree, the path the road takes is idiotic at best and serves no real purpose but you have to remember this road wasnt financed by TXDOT like secitons 1-4. Notice how 1-4 are concrete and 5 and 6 are asphalt? Different "owners" different specs. While TXDOT will be the eventual owner, the spaniard company has the contract on the tolls for the next 50 years but theyve also got the tab on maintenance while theyre still the technical owners. Also the road wouldve never been built without private money, TXDOT simply did not have the money to build the road thus an outside company stepped in.

Without getting into too much specifics of who I work for and how things were done, be happy that we(tax payers) dont own that road. Miles of that new road are already having to be crack sealed and sections were ripped out and repaved. There will be a lot more of it done over the next couple decades due to crappy construction practices so no we dont want to buy the spaniards out. Let them take care of crap product they built.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Do me a favor. Explain why cutting down on the time and distance needed to avoid a collision is a bad thing. Because that's the whole idea behind lowering the speed limit, is to give people more time to react and avoid whatever's in the road. That's especially true at night, when your senses can be dulled and your reaction time takes one hell of a hit, hence why quite a few highways have differing day/night speed limits.

Or did you not even consider that before ya went off? Also, you apparently missed the word "example" in that post. Saying someone is ignorant, and then being ignorant yourself -really- doesn't make you look much better.

You REALLY like proving your ignorance, don't ya? Sonny, do you have ANY idea what 40 mph would be like on a roadway built for 85? Much less the extra time involved - and for what? A coupla pigs?!??? Idiots that don't understand the concept of driving in concert with conditions? It's the COUNTRY dude - critters may be out there! Don't go giving some stupid suggestion, then when called on it try to divert it as a "suggestion" - it still smells like shit.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    We have an open season on hogs I think we should have an open season on liberals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    How about instead of spending any money on any solution people just pull their heads out and pay attention when they're driving?

It's like that one meme says, "I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let nature take its course."

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Y'know, it's kinda like when someone says "I'm gonna say something stupid, then defend it while at the same time tellin' you it's a stupid thing to say.....

If you ALREADY know it isn't cost effective, then why even bring it up? I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but reality is important.

Because it's not THAT expensive, and it's a neat engineered solution to a problem. But we can always just whine when we come across a solution that isn't completely perfect. It's not like anyone needs incremental progress.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

I don't think he considers a whole lot before he goes off.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Or logic. That road leads from Austin to literally nowhere. It's so out of the way, I don't see why it was built in the first place. They should have spent half that money on improving 35 instead.

Can't steal land and sell use of it back to the former owners if you take it form the state.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Because it's not THAT expensive, and it's a neat engineered solution to a problem. But we can always just whine when we come across a solution that isn't completely perfect. It's not like anyone needs incremental progress.
    You and Doc must have the same major malfunction. What do you NOT understand about fences doing nothing to curtail the hog problem? Ive never seen a fence or pen that could hold a wild hog. Let me guess, youve never had any experience with hogs?

Top Bottom