• Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    There a few concerns.

Thanks for the reply...
    However, again, I wouldn't imagine most people using them but in the most dire of situations, and at such a point, life would probably be a gamble anyway. With some cursory knowledge and a prayer perhaps the gamble works out and if it don't, you would probably be dying soon anyway. It might be nice to have an option. An even more plausible use of these might turn out to be an excellent item to barter with.

I think that some folks here don't understand the desperate situation that the layman may have these on hand for.
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dont forget good old sulfa powder
    allergic to that one, too :laughing:

I can imagine a lot in a SHTF type situation, and hearing a doc say "I know what to give you but I don't have any medicines" is definitely one of them.
    Exactly... A disaster could mean all the Walgreens won't get resupplied for weeks, but a medical professional could still give you a "prescription" based on your own supply.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yep. You can find it on line or... Wal-Mart, Pets Smart...

Here's Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fish-Flex...3715&wl11=online&wl12=195511919&wl13=&veh=sem

4dcd27d4-dca4-4577-ab3f-b567ef598ca6_1.fdb040c3e6cc6867daca59c2d34a1e2f.jpeg

Flea and tick pills are exclusively distributed to vets. The prescription helps keep the price up.

Any sources for this working to kill fleas? Google isn't getting me anything.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    As far as stocking antibiotics goes, I usually have a bottle of Penicillin G with Procaine around the house along with a few needles. Total cost around $10 from the feed store. Exact same stuff used in the ER- even the same bottle. Haven't had to use it on myself yet but have used it on pets many times. Saved me about $1K in vet bills so far. (Last time I got penicillin from the vet I walked out with an $80 bill. Dude wanted to charge me $600 for all sorts of crazy tests.)

The bottle needs to be replaced within a week of being used as it can become contaminated over time once opened. Not a big deal while using it since no one should be on penicillin for more than a week anyway.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    If you open the bottle. Fill it with Freon. You can use different inert gases. The Bill of Rights is stored in under humidified argon. The previous, nitrogen. Escaped through the container and required frequent refilling. Wine is stored under a mix of carbon dioxide and something else.

Some inert gases can't be stored under plastic. My understanding is the molecules are smaller then the micro holes in plastics and the gas permeates out.

The most readily available inert gas that can be stored with plastic. Is Freon. Molecules bigger then the holes and so doesn't diffuse through. It's heavier then oxygen. In a container being filled. The Freon pushes oxygen to the top and out.

Zero oxygen atmosphere. Include a desiccant. Any effects of oxygen are severely reduced.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    As far as stocking antibiotics goes, I usually have a bottle of Penicillin G with Procaine around the house along with a few needles. Total cost around $10 from the feed store. Exact same stuff used in the ER- even the same bottle. Haven't had to use it on myself yet but have used it on pets many times. Saved me about $1K in vet bills so far. (Last time I got penicillin from the vet I walked out with an $80 bill. Dude wanted to charge me $600 for all sorts of crazy tests.)

The bottle needs to be replaced within a week of being used as it can become contaminated over time once opened. Not a big deal while using it since no one should be on penicillin for more than a week anyway.

Should work well for those one night stands...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techenigma

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    Salado, TX
    Been using fish antibiotics for years for infections. I have an issue with paying the crazed expense of doctors visits just to have the ability to pay the crazy price of the antibiotics they prescribe. Amazon is an excellent resource for the stuff and its way cheaper than the aforementioned expenses.

Oh and no I don't do it Willy nilly. Only when absolutely necessary, and always for the full course of typically prescribed dosing and duration.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hey Texans. Did y'all know we use pet antibiotics?

This makes you wonder who reads our stuff.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/study-some-people-take-animal-antibiotics-save-money

[FONT]new study has found that some Texans are using their pets’ antibiotics, possibly to save money on medical costs.[/FONT]
    [FONT]The Houston-based study, which was recently published in the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy medical journal, stated: “Of 400 respondents, 20 (5%) reported non-prescription use of systemic antibiotics in the last 12 months, 102 (25.4%) reported intended use and 57 (14.2%) stored antibiotics at home.”
    [/FONT]

[FONT]Four percent said they used their pets’ antibiotics, 20 percent got antibiotics from friends or family,12 percent saved the meds from a prior illness and 24 percent bought the medications from a foreign country, notes CNN.[/FONT]
    [FONT]Forty percent said they were able to purchase antibiotics from an American pharmacy without using a prescription.[/FONT]

Top Bottom