Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    When I was in Vietnam, I got up to a quart of scotch a night. Chavis. I decided that I was on the way to becoming an alcoholic and quit. Now I seldom drink. I might have a beer every couple of months and maybe one drink of scotch every 6 months.

Never really cared for wine or bourbon and Tennessee whiskeys.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Starting in high school, I drank pretty much every day. In college, and after I went to work, it was a 12 pack per day, just as a matter of principle. I am an electrician by trade, and it is common to drink hard after work.

I became a father, and did not slow down for the first couple of years. I went to a party, drank until I blacked out, drove home, and was sick all night.

My daughter was 2 at the time. She crawled up in bed with me the next morning for hugs and kisses, and I decided then and there I would never drink again. I did not want her to see me like that.

That was 10 years ago, and I have not had a single drop since. I live on pure willpower, and do just fine. I am the designated driver for friends and family, they all know they can call, and I will come get them, no matter what. It is pretty funny watching some of the buffoonery at the lease, my leasemates are pretty darn funny when they drink.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I drink socially, as in if there's lots of other people drinking and hanging out I will too. I rarely socialize anymore so I rarely drink, lol... I don't like getting to the "drunk" stage, tho. I get on the Ballmer peak and just maintain that.

I find the whole "runs in the family" thing interesting. My dad had and brother still has issues with alcohol, but I can do with or without it. My aunt is definitely an alcoholic, but a high functioning one. I think it has more to with how big an asshole in general you are than anything else.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Unless you have a medical condition complete teetotalism for health or fitness is ridiculous. A few drinks every once in a while, or every day, isn't going to do anything. If you are on an intensive weight loss/fitness program it might be a good idea to limit it to as little as possible, but to live a normal, healthy life and still be in kick ass shape I don't see the reason to abstain completely. All kinds of professional athletes drink regularly with little ill effects. Most of the other reasons are religious and psychological, and I don't buy those either. If you know you are the type of person who can't handle your liquor, then I see not drinking. Maybe you just don't like the taste or the feeling, but if it is for family reasons and this prevents you from enjoying life responsibly with friends and family, then maybe you need to get some help.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    No, but I'm not a big drinker. I had my fun in my early 20's riding moto, impressing girls, and being a hoonigan, but I always valued my freedom and future more than tempting fate while drunk.

Now though, I'm 29 and between work and the responsibilities of married life I just really don't have much time or interest in drinking more than a beer every other week, or so. Not to mention the recovery needed after overdrinking includes the feeling of being hit by a bus. I'll still drink a beer after mowing the lawn or cleaning the garage if it's hot enough.

I have a case of Modelo that will last me the rest of the summer, and 3/4 of a bottle of 18yo Scotch in a decanter for special occasions, like when my pops visits. I honestly prefer Gin to anything else though...still though, not common.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I only drink on social occasions; Never been interested in drinking alone. I have a couplea unopened bottles of booze here at the house, the oldest probably 4 years old.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I work a seasonal job in a beer garden, & it's pretty much ruined me for beer & wine. Can't drink brown liquor as it don't agree with me. Can't keep any clear liquor in the house as the wife is an alcoholic. When I do drink it tends to be with a few select friends & we aint going anywhere.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    My parents were/are likely functional alcoholics. Mom is too old and frail now to drink much. But they never let it control them, from what I could see. Maybe "heavy social drinkers" is a better description. Growing up, finishing my high school years in England, if you were big enough to put your money on the bar, most innkeepers would serve you - especially out in the country (Somerset). So at 15 I started drinking - a lot at times. One night a buddy had too much and was tossing around on his bed. Next to his bed was a fireplace with a stone hearth. Sure enough he rolled out of bed, and I was just able to catch his head before he conked the back of his head on the sharp stone corner. Would have caught him right at that bump at the top of the spine and base of the skull. That was my first indication that had I drunk more that night, I might have been too out of control and seen my friend die, and that my friend was too drunk to control himself.

At UT the drinking became daily, and in volume. Didn't take too many mornings-after to realize I didn't remember much of, nor like what I did remember, about the night before. Again it came down to self control. Never did drive drunk, always partied in place, thankfully. Backed way the hell off sometime in my sophomore year.

Today it's a regular cocktail or beer before dinner, and a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. If I feel a buzz coming on, I've had enough! Can't recall ever having a hangover since college days.

On the being-in-control part, it always bothered me that .08 BAC was "drunk". Just what does .08 feel like? How do I know if I'm over the legal limit? I know if I wave a gun in a bank and utter certain words, I'm going to the slammer. I know if I speed down the highway at 140, the local police won't look kindly upon me. Generally I know a certain action crosses the line. Which drink makes me cross the line? I don't know what being illegal feels like. So I bought a breathalyzer. Assuming it was reasonably accurate, I started keeping track of my BAC after a regular night of cocktail and wine. Typically I blew a .02 or less. Then one night, at home, worked hard to get what I felt was pretty well lit. Never went over .06. Feeling that way at .06, I definitely would NOT have driven! So knowing my habits, I figured I'd never be so far gone that I'd fail a roadside stop.

For my diet I backed way off beer due to the carbs, not the calories.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    How many of us abstain from alcohol completely?

I stopped drinking three years ago. I spent 6 days in the hospital with an attack of diverticulitis. There is some belief that alcohol can aggravate the condition. That is enough for me. In addition, I don't want the non-nutritive calories.

How about you?

I get a quart of moonshine at the package store once per year and maybe a pint of bourbon. It last me all year.
    every once in awhile I like to have a drink in the evening after a hard physical day. I may drink a beer if one is offered of me, but I never buy any for myself.

alcohol just is not something I think about having to have a stock of.
    funny thing is that I found a whole box of unopened alchol sitting in the top of my dumpster 2 years ago.
    Everclear, some scotch and various other spirits. About 8 bottles in all, unopened.
    I took it all out and put it in my SHTF stash for possible trading or other use down the road. I couldn't see it going to the landfill

Top Bottom