• Pretty much only weekends

Votes: 15 14.3%
    • Every day

Votes: 12 11.4%
    • Heck, I'm drunk now....

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    On the being-in-control part, it always bothered me that .08 BAC was "drunk". Just what does .08 feel like? How do I know if I'm over the legal limit? I know if I wave a gun in a bank and utter certain words, I'm going to the slammer. I know if I speed down the highway at 140, the local police won't look kindly upon me. Generally I know a certain action crosses the line. Which drink makes me cross the line? I don't know what being illegal feels like. So I bought a breathalyzer. Assuming it was reasonably accurate, I started keeping track of my BAC after a regular night of cocktail and wine. Typically I blew a .02 or less. Then one night, at home, worked hard to get what I felt was pretty well lit. Never went over .06. Feeling that way at .06, I definitely would NOT have driven! So knowing my habits, I figured I'd never be so far gone that I'd fail a roadside stop.

Definitely something you need to take deadly seriously these days.
    We go out for Mexican, if I drink even one Margarita, the wife drives home.

Never gave it a thought growing up in Texas and Louisiana.
    Big part of everyday, working in the hot sun, was grabbing a cold quart for the drive home.
    Something no one gave a second thought to then, but I wouldn't even think about doing today.

Have had the same TDL in Texas since Nov 1957, never came close to a DUI, don't plan on it.
    That damn sign on the roads is right ... can't afford it.
    Target Sports

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Got a couple of cases, brought by visitors.
    To quit smoking, had to quit beer ...
    24 years and still can't open a beer without reaching for a smoke.

I miss that the most. Grabbing a nice rock glass, filling half full of a good bourbon and lighting a cigarette made the stress roll right off. The first drink and draw was a welcome calm.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I miss that the most. Grabbing a nice rock glass, filling half full of a good bourbon and lighting a cigarette made the stress roll right off. The first drink and draw was a welcome calm.
    I felt the same way with cheap wine and a crack pipe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    Total teetotaler here..........I haven't had a drink of any alcoholic beverage in well over 10-12 years now. I drink sweet tea and water. Seldom even any soft drinks, and I will drink tea that has not been sweetened if I have to. I just don't see the need for putting alcoholic beverages into my body.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My parents were/are likely functional alcoholics. Mom is too old and frail now to drink much. But they never let it control them, from what I could see. Maybe "heavy social drinkers" is a better description. Growing up, finishing my high school years in England, if you were big enough to put your money on the bar, most innkeepers would serve you - especially out in the country (Somerset). So at 15 I started drinking - a lot at times. One night a buddy had too much and was tossing around on his bed. Next to his bed was a fireplace with a stone hearth. Sure enough he rolled out of bed, and I was just able to catch his head before he conked the back of his head on the sharp stone corner. Would have caught him right at that bump at the top of the spine and base of the skull. That was my first indication that had I drunk more that night, I might have been too out of control and seen my friend die, and that my friend was too drunk to control himself.

At UT the drinking became daily, and in volume. Didn't take too many mornings-after to realize I didn't remember much of, nor like what I did remember, about the night before. Again it came down to self control. Never did drive drunk, always partied in place, thankfully. Backed way the hell off sometime in my sophomore year.

Today it's a regular cocktail or beer before dinner, and a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. If I feel a buzz coming on, I've had enough! Can't recall ever having a hangover since college days.

On the being-in-control part, it always bothered me that .08 BAC was "drunk". Just what does .08 feel like? How do I know if I'm over the legal limit? I know if I wave a gun in a bank and utter certain words, I'm going to the slammer. I know if I speed down the highway at 140, the local police won't look kindly upon me. Generally I know a certain action crosses the line. Which drink makes me cross the line? I don't know what being illegal feels like. So I bought a breathalyzer. Assuming it was reasonably accurate, I started keeping track of my BAC after a regular night of cocktail and wine. Typically I blew a .02 or less. Then one night, at home, worked hard to get what I felt was pretty well lit. Never went over .06. Feeling that way at .06, I definitely would NOT have driven! So knowing my habits, I figured I'd never be so far gone that I'd fail a roadside stop.

For my diet I backed way off beer due to the carbs, not the calories.

For those that get busted follow the money trail.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you blow below .08, thats still illegal isn't it?

I thought if you blew anything you'd get a DUI, while .08 and above would be DWI.

At .08 and above you can, and likely will be convicted of DWI. There have been cases where the driver has been arrested after blowing less than .08. I don't think they were convicted, but they didn't beat the ride to jail. Your license is suspended when you are arrested, prior to even going to court, so it can still be a big hassle even if you aren't legally intoxicated.

DUI in Texas is for under age drinking and driving regardless of BAC, IIRC.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I used to drink a lot when I was younger. Now,, just coffee mostly. A beer or two if I go dancing. I do miss some good shine though.

Back in the late 1970s I drove a taxi in Killeen at night. Spent the first few hours driving soldiers and retirees to the club, VFW, American Legion, wherever they could drink and swap stories. The last few hours peeling their drunk asses off a barstool where they sat and messed themselves because they were too drunk to realize they had to go.
    Decided there was no way I wanted to be like that. The way I am with coffee, I am glad I quit drinking.

from an idgit coffeeholic

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    At .08 and above you can, and likely will be convicted of DWI. There have been cases where the driver has been arrested after blowing less than .08. I don't think they were convicted, but they didn't beat the ride to jail. Your license is suspended when you are arrested, prior to even going to court, so it can still be a big hassle even if you aren't legally intoxicated.

DUI in Texas is for under age drinking and driving regardless of BAC, IIRC.

As a cop I obtained a conviction at .07%, and another guy was acquitted at .12%. Second guy did not look bad on video at all. At the scene he indicated on all of the FSTs.

"legally intoxicated" is only a relevant term in that at .08% everyone is presumed to be intoxicated. Under that level is subjective and up to the jury. I once obtained a conviction on a guy who blew 0.0%. He admitted that he had shot up heroin. DWI does not require ANY BAC for a person to be intoxicated.

See penal code 49.01

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A little nip now and then makes the world go around.

Not enough to wake up with a head ache, but just enough to go to sleep without Ambien or some other mind altering drug.

There is an old German saying: Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalts. (Hops & Malt. God approves).

Be well.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    As a cop I obtained a conviction at .07%, and another guy was acquitted at .12%. Second guy did not look bad on video at all. At the scene he indicated on all of the FSTs.

"legally intoxicated" is only a relevant term in that at .08% everyone is presumed to be intoxicated. Under that level is subjective and up to the jury. I once obtained a conviction on a guy who blew 0.0%. He admitted that he had shot up heroin. DWI does not require ANY BAC for a person to be intoxicated.

See penal code 49.01

Let this be a lesson to all that drink outside of the home. IIRC a DWI in Texas you can lose your DL and cost around $6k-$7k to get out of. Hide in your homes.... hide... in your homes.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    When I'm not working. I enjoy a cocktail most nights. A Manhattan or Martini.

When im working, too darn busy.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I don't drink hard stuff,///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// unless I can't get beer or a good wine! :green:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    e525f8d7c477505d7cfd996ea6e5e617.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't drink at all anymore. Used to go out from time to time and go WAY overboard on whiskey but decided to stop before it caught up to me. Just enjoyed it too much.

Don't think I've had more than a beer or two in several years.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm a bad teetotaler. My freshman year of college I rode an evening with my cousin in Dallas once. Every single call was alcohol related. I asked him about it and he said that was a typical night.

Since booze was used in place of water before they figured out what a microorganism was, I think it's too ingrained to ban. But the world would be a better place.

Now I'll enjoy an occasional beer or just about anything. But I'm one drink and done. I can't handle my alcohol.

I know a defense lawyer, and he says what he does with dui cases is simple, the law says impaired. And if you don't blow they can only judge you on your behavior. So he gets the dashcam video. Says look this guy had a few drinks, sure, but come on does he look drunk to you?

Says it gets acquitted about 50% of the time.

Top Bottom