Gun Zone Deals

Anyone have a hog problem on their land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    We get all of that BUT they still bitch and vagina rag about a problem of 3.5 million hogs on the lose tearing up their property. Are you saying that after all of these YEARS they were unable to meet/greet/befriend a few to solve their problem... hmmm?

Who is forcing you to listen to the bitching, and how does the bitching negatively impact your life?
    Texas SOT

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Man, if I lived in Oklahoma, I'd be happy to help Txarguy. However, that is a pretty long journey just to put down some hogs. Hopefully someone here takes you up on it and helps you regulate the population.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    me and group neighboring land owners have contracted a group of professional trappers out of Rockwall to help us reduce the hog population. Once they trap and haul off the majority it will be fun for us to run ambush style cleanup attacks on the remainders.

The trappers say this method will be effective for about 6 months until the next group moves in to fill the void. Then we'll do it again.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    me and group neighboring land owners have contracted a group of professional trappers out of Rockwall to help us reduce the hog population. Once they trap and haul off the majority it will be fun for us to run ambush style cleanup attacks on the remainders.

The trappers say this method will be effective for about 6 months until the next group moves in to fill the void. Then we'll do it again.

Ever consider buying your own trap? I have two on the ranch I hunt in South Texas, and it's a Tom of fun!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've seen some made of nothing more than cattle panels and T-posts. Not as durable as some others but they worked.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I've seen some made of nothing more than cattle panels and T-posts. Not as durable as some others but they worked.

yep, ive got those traps too. i generally use it as a holding pen for hogs. it still has a trap door and ill be baiting it soon, since theyre rooting around its location.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Who is forcing you to listen to the bitching, and how does the bitching negatively impact your life?

There is no forcing of anything and it does not "impact" my life. When I used to watch TV news they were on all the time for YEARS. Pick up any paper and there will be a story about hogs. Texas is full of hunters and the majority are good people. I find it very hard to believe that anyone should have this problem. If land owners do not have one or two people close enough in their lives to take some hogs on their property there is something else amiss.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i still run into people that dont know about certain things youd think they.should know as a texas resident. not everyone has the same circles. so i can believe they havent met anyone.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    i still run into people that dont know about certain things youd think they.should know as a texas resident. not everyone has the same circles. so i can believe they havent met anyone.

Well then the TV News reporters and Newspapers will have an endless suplly of land owners to interview and record their never ending complaints about destructive hogs. Do they go to church? I have met TONS of people that hunt at church and related functions.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Ever consider buying your own trap? I have two on the ranch I hunt in South Texas, and it's a Tom of fun!

I have 8 traps set up. Each is good for up to 4 hogs when I'm running them. Problem is I work in west Texas so I rarely get the chance to run them in accordance to the law.

I'm pretty sure the guys we contracted will put a good sized dent in their population.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There is no forcing of anything and it does not "impact" my life. When I used to watch TV news they were on all the time for YEARS. Pick up any paper and there will be a story about hogs. Texas is full of hunters and the majority are good people. I find it very hard to believe that anyone should have this problem. If land owners do not have one or two people close enough in their lives to take some hogs on their property there is something else amiss.

Then I don't understand why YOU are bitching if it doesn't affect you.....are you just bitter about the fact that you can't hunt hogs for free on someone else's land?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have 8 traps set up. Each is good for up to 4 hogs when I'm running them. Problem is I work in west Texas so I rarely get the chance to run them in accordance to the law.

I'm pretty sure the guys we contracted will put a good sized dent in their population.

I see.

I'm sure they'll do a fine job. Good luck!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If they don't then I'll give you and some of the other TGT members a call and we'll just put an old school hurtin on them.

i appreciate such a generous offer, and would love to help, but I'm on point for taking care of the hogs on my buddy's ranch and find it hard enough having enough time as it is to do that! LOL. I'm sure you'd find someone to take my spot easy enough. :-)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Then I don't understand why YOU are bitching if it doesn't affect you.....are you just bitter about the fact that you can't hunt hogs for free on someone else's land?

Why have YOU suddenly taken such a liking to my opinion? That's all it is especially on a social internet forum. My opinion is that it seems awfully strange that this "hog problem" has been around for YEARS and yet people still complain about it. There is an ample supply of good old fashioned hunters out there to eradicate them.

Personally I would have liked to continue to shoot where I did but San Angelo is just to far away and the lady we know had her home blow up from underneath her an her husband died. She moved away and sold the 50 acres she had.

Anything else? Your calling me out on this is weak sauce.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Hey Guys, I will be in just for the fun part. Dont need meat and will responsible. Apart from that I have lots of time on hand

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Why have YOU suddenly taken such a liking to my opinion? That's all it is especially on a social internet forum. My opinion is that it seems awfully strange that this "hog problem" has been around for YEARS and yet people still complain about it. There is an ample supply of good old fashioned hunters out there to eradicate them.

Personally I would have liked to continue to shoot where I did but San Angelo is just to far away and the lady we know had her home blow up from underneath her an her husband died. She moved away and sold the 50 acres she had.

You can not "hunt them out" hunting is the last step in a management program. Trapping, snaring, and aerial shooting from helicopters are the most effective methods for taking out large numbers of pigs.

Shooting a couple on the weekends does absolutely nothing to control the population. The majority of hunters do not have the skills, equipment, or motivation to go after pigs in a manner that would have any impact on the population.

When the group I hunt with go out, we chase them to the ends of the earth. NV, thermal, ultra quiet UTV, suppressors, etc. we also do at least half a dozen loops of the properties we are shooting, as well as checking all feeders that are throwing multiple times per night.

We also bait roads, ponds, and trails. We average 10-15 pigs per night if there are at least 2 shooters. We have had nights with over 20 killed many times. But you have to be willing to eat dust, pull ticks out of yourself most nights, get eaten alive by blood sucking insects and sweat your balls off( or freeze them off)

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

The problem is, at least in my area, that most "good old fashion hunters" I've allowed on my land turned out to be drunk assholes who were just looking for a place to camp, drink, shoot anything they want regardless of our agreement and leave trash everywhere. I've even had "responsible, good old fashion hunters" cut locks to get into fields that I clearly placed off limits.

I learn from experience and so do, I assume, many other land owners. I'd rather have a hog problem that an asshole problem.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You can not "hunt them out" hunting is the last step in a management program. Trapping, snaring, and aerial shooting from helicopters are the most effective methods for taking out large numbers of pigs.

Shooting a couple on the weekends does absolutely nothing to control the population. The majority of hunters do not have the skills, equipment, or motivation to go after pigs in a manner that would have any impact on the population.

When the group I hunt with go out, we chase them to the ends of the earth. NV, thermal, ultra quiet UTV, suppressors, etc. we also do at least half a dozen loops of the properties we are shooting, as well as checking all feeders that are throwing multiple times per night.

We also bait roads, ponds, and trails. We average 10-15 pigs per night if there are at least 2 shooters. We have had nights with over 20 killed many times. But you have to be willing to eat dust, pull ticks out of yourself most nights, get eaten alive by blood sucking insects and sweat your balls off( or freeze them off)

^^^This

Top Bottom