Venture Surplus ad

Anyone have a hog problem on their land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That's not entirely true. You can trap them and deliver them live to a slaughterhouse where they can be inspected pre-slaughter.
    There are about 80 approved places for that. They also have to be quarantined for 180 days after the initial evaluation.....generally at your expense. By the time they are approved for slaughter, those pigs cost $15 or more per pound and are shipped out of country to recoup the cost of feeding and vet care for the las six months.

food banks cannot take feral pig through HFH or individuals, and the quarantine stations are a for profit venture.
    So unless you are awash in millions of dollars in cash, you can't donate feral pigs to food bank organizations.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If i hunt your hogs on your land with your ammo and gun, after you send me gas money, and I donate my killings to the food bank via the slaughterhouse, can I claim it as a charitable donation on my tax return?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    There are about 80 approved places for that. They also have to be quarantined for 180 days after the initial evaluation.....generally at your expense. By the time they are approved for slaughter, those pigs cost $15 or more per pound and are shipped out of country to recoup the cost of feeding and vet care for the las six months.

food banks cannot take feral pig through HFH or individuals, and the quarantine stations are a for profit venture.
    So unless you are awash in millions of dollars in cash, you can't donate feral pigs to food bank organizations.

I didn't say it was feasible. I said it wasn't 100% illegal.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I think we just accidentally figured out why chinese chicken tastes so good in Laredo.

Pork the other white meat

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I think on American Hoggers they say they donate it for all the PETA people before they turn the cameras off, stick the hogs and dump them in the brush, by the way, hunting hogs by knife is a lot cheaper these days.

lokiaga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Austin
    Hogs are such a problem all over Texas, you'd think there would be more ranchers and farmers BEGGING guys to go shoot some on their land, but I don't see any of that. I guess they don't want to get some hoo-haws shooting everything that moves, either.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hogs are such a problem all over Texas, you'd think there would be more ranchers and farmers BEGGING guys to go shoot some on their land, but I don't see any of that. I guess they don't want to get some hoo-haws shooting everything that moves, either.

This thread has numerous posts as to why ranchers are not begging people take care of their hog problem. Your conclusion pretty much sums it up.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood

Yup. I have cows worth a pretty damn penny. Most couldn't afford to replace one if they shot it, nor would they know how to process it after shooting it either. That meat is not being wasted..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Shooting a couple on the weekends does absolutely nothing to control the population. The majority of hunters do not have the skills, equipment, or motivation to go after pigs in a manner that would have any impact on the population.

Spot on.

Top Bottom