Are black people better off 50 years after the Civil Rights Act?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I leave this hear for your comments.

The man is crazy at times, but he speaks the truth about this topic and many more

[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/ATLAHWorldwide[/video]

Target Sports

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't know. I'm not 50 years old or black. From my limited study, I'd say they are better off in some ways, sometimes, in some places then and now. Some things like civil rights have certainly improved, other things like in tact families have gotten much worse. What's the totality of the changes? I don't know.

I do firmly believe that in tact families are better than daddy government.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    We were all getting along great til 0bummer showed up.

Really don't believe that, do you?

There is a good deal of tension between races and there has been all my life. Too many people lump black folk or white folk into categories and try to define everything by race (on both sides of the equation).

Little trivia since we're on the topic of race....

2 points for whoever first comes up with the source of this........."Why does he look like the night?"

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was a kid growing up in the 50's and 60's. Our family traveled from Chicago to south Florida regularly to see my father's family. We traveled all through the deep south and I saw how things were. I remember segregated schools, restaurants, lynchings and cross burnings. I witnessed racial riots not only in the media but as an eye witness.

Anyone who says things aren't significantly better in racial harmony, equal opportunity and equality in housing and services is flat full of crap!

Flash

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Let's see. This goes back a bit more than 50 years but when my mom was a kid, her dad took her to a picnic under and around a tree with a lynched black man hanging in it. Local law enforcement was in attendance, chowing down with their Klan brothers. The image of that man hanging in that tree haunted her for her entire life.

Breakingcontact makes a valid point that broken families are a huge step backwards but, on balance, I think things have become a bit better. If my mom were still around, I think she'd probably agree.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The opportunities for a better life are there.
    So few willing to invest the time and effort.

That goes for all races.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I was about to say the same this as Vaquero. Racism, racial tension, hell just about anything, only gets better when people stop promoting negativity. WAY back in high school, near the dawn of the true acceptance of all races, a big group of kids would routinely gather at the lunch table and discuss "sensitive" topics. Now mind you, this is in a town that was cracker central - there were a dozen or so black kids in the school, a few middle easterners, I think one sole asian. Very, very white demographic. The unifying trait we all shared? We were all pretty much broke :) Anyway, I distinctly remember a conversation where one of my friends said it would be a lot better if everyone interbred and we all had the same skin color. Although he made no mention of details, it was pretty easy to see he was feeling the effects of somebody being a jerk. I was the first to pipe up and disagree with him. The truth is it doesn't take a racial difference to be singled out, there's any number of metrics people will use against you. Too fat, too skinny, too short, bad haircut, hair color, clothes, complexion, glasses, braces, religion, political affiliation .... You can make a list a few miles long of things that can be used 'against' you. By the end of the discussion, we had succeeded in helping him feel better and making the point that it's our differences which collectively make us stronger.

The point of all this is in recent time, political correctness has taught us to forget that very powerful message. The message that it's not only okay to be different, but that it is okay to point it out. Now days we have to have parades and shove our "uniqueness" down others throats. Well, "our" being those 'special interest groups' and other garbage. You can no longer be you/yourself, you have to be part of some group of movement to be recognized.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You can no longer be you/yourself, you have to be part of some group of movement to be recognized.
    Well, you can be yourself. You just need to be strong enough. That strength comes from being reared in a loving, disciplined, supportive, educational home, something that can normally only be accomplished when both Mom and Dad are present.

There's a big fly in that ointment these days.

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    It's incredibly (and intentionally) ignorant to believe things aren't far better than they were. Can they improve more? Absolutely... and that is not a one-way street. We all bear our (parentally/self/societally) imposed hatreds and closed-minded beliefs (ignorant brainwashing). Until we recognize and accept that we are not each others' enemies but are only pawns used and manipulated by a very few lunatics/users... we'll always let the real enemies win.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If they're not better off at this point its for lack of effort. Sure, there's still racism but there are infinitely more opportunities than 50 yrs ago.

Part of the problem is that one generation isn't enough time for a critical mass of good role models to develop. How do you fix that? ...with a publicity campaign with the black community promoting the right values. It can't be forced. People have to stop crying foul and start leading by example. That is a choice, and there is no law preventing anyone from doing that.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    If you're interested in this subject, check out a documentary called "What Black Men Think". It's available on Netflix. It's by a black man, and it explores how black men think, and how black women think about black men, and what family life for black Americans was like before the Civil Rights Act, and after it. Comes to some rather atypical conclusions and places some significant blame on some rather surprising folks. It explores this "culture of victimization" and calls out exactly who (in the director's opinion) is responsible, and why they do it.

It's not the greatest film in the world, and the director dressing himself up like Morpheus from The Matrix was pretty cheesy, but I think the message and the approach was -- well, put it this way, I'm still thinking about it, about a year after I saw it.

Put it in your Netflix queue and give it a shot. Stick with it to the end, and see if you don't agree with the director's viewpoint by the end. And whether you do or don't agree, it's still interesting to get an opportunity to get insight into the thought processes that went into it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If they're not better off at this point its for lack of effort. Sure, there's still racism but there are infinitely more opportunities than 50 yrs ago.

Part of the problem is that one generation isn't enough time for a critical mass of good role models to develop. How do you fix that? ...with a publicity campaign with the black community promoting the right values. It can't be forced. People have to stop crying foul and start leading by example. That is a choice, and there is no law preventing anyone from doing that.

Right...but what is the gov promoting at this point? Division and dependence. The gov is rarely a neutral player.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The only question to be asked are we as a nation better off
    That's a tough question, and it really depends on how one would measure 'better'.

I think one thing that is weakening America, is the race-based programs. How you can speak of equality, when you artificially promote one segment of the population over another? So while there are all the legal protections, civil rights changes, etc. that are all well and good - and necessary for a healthy nation. But there's plenty of artificial bonus programs too. The United Negro College fund, the Latino College Access Coalition, etc. I may have slept on the streets for a while when I was younger, not had the opportunity to eat for a few days here and there, but did it make any difference for MY college entrance eligibility? Nope, sorry - I wasn't in any way disadvantaged, simply because I'm white. Is there a United Caucasian College Fund? Just the mere mention means I'm probably racist :) All of this nonsense in the name of cultural and socio-economic diversity. I'm a firm believer in a man pulling himself up by his boot straps, and that's exactly what I did. I don't agree, in this day and age, that it's simply not possible for ANYONE in America to do the same. I can't help but feel these organizations are in some way telling kids "you're [black/latino/whatever] so you're not able to compete with a [white/asian] kid." Really?

Top Bottom