Target Sports

Are black people better off 50 years after the Civil Rights Act?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpyderJohn

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    I wonder how many here are old enough to remember Jim Crow, and when educating black folks was the next best thing to illegal in much of the South?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I wonder how many here are old enough to remember Jim Crow, and when educating black folks was the next best thing to illegal in much of the South?

Never saw a black kid in school until I was a junior in HS about 1969. A few yrs later I had a friend in college telling me about the "Colored" entrances to movie theaters here in San Antonio when he was a kid.

SpyderJohn

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    I grew up in Kentucky and well remember the separate facilities in Georgia and South Carolina when we went on vacation. It was brutal. Filthy facilities, miles of rural shacks that appeared to have no utilities, etc.

It hasn't been too long ago that rural South Carolina was horribly poor and the local schools reflected that. Nothing like the parts of rural Texas that I have seen that at least has decent educational facilities.

Did you know that Uvalde, where I live, was segregated into the 70's? The local school system was highly segregated, but along Latin/Anglo lines until the Feds moved in.

But anyway, black folks 50 years ago had it very, very tough in the segregated South.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The original question was are they better off then 50 years ago and the answer is absolutely they are! History is being rewritten to give them credit for things that never happened or are inflated beyond all reality to create black role models.

Today employment and promotions in Government and the Oil Industry as well as some College admissions (the only ones I can speak for because I have first hand knowledge) are based on a point system. You get points if you are a member of a recognized minority group, raised in a one parent home, grew up in a low income home, woman, sexually confused, born outside the USA or can claim some form of handicap. An individual may have 35 out of 100 points before the interview while the White Guy starts with Zero!

I had Black friends until Obama came in and then everything became about Race, if the man was white they could have seen him as he was but BHO is the second coming to them! They don't realize we are more divided then ever and this not payback time.

The "American Dream" is now called "White Privilege" to make Liberty, Freedom and the chance to better yourself sound like a bad thing and make Progressive Big Government sound like the solution to every difficulty in life.

I guess I don't know what poverty looks like, I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Most of us lived in uninsulated, wood frame homes on blocks usually between 600 and 800 square feet of living space with two or three space heaters and no air conditioning. The schools were the same, poor heat and no A/C. I remember running from room to room closing windows when it would start to rain, it wasn't too bad unless it happened at night when we were asleep. Most had no garage and we only owned one used car most of my childhood, when we got a second car at least one of them was a ragged out piece of crap.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thinking about this thread last night. It reminded me of my childhood.

Desegregation occurred at my school in the third grade. I remember the big yellow buses rolling in. I was really excited thinking we had a field trip on the first day of school.

The sight of two or three bus loads of black kids was pretty shocking. The school was all white except for a couple Hispanic kids. Honestly, I had never been around black kids before. And I was less than a year removed from watching a black man beat my grandmother's neighbor to death. I was apprehensive at best. It was that first day that I found out black people didn't like to be called the "N" word. After fighting four black kids at once I remember thinking that was a piece of information someone should have told me.
    But I am curious by nature. So I attempted to make friends. A black kid named Melvin ended up sitting next to me all year. We spent the year swapping stories about food, families and life.
    My fear of black people after seeing that murder was overwhelming at times. Society was seperate for the most part. My only interaction with black folk was the old black man who worked for my grandfather. But my mother was a MLK fan and tried to teach us kids that all people are the same on the inside.
    In many ways Melvin helped past my fear of black folk.

I've raised my own kids to be color-blind. In fact, several of my kids had very close friends that were black. A couple were like my own kids. Some may remember the story a few years ago of my buddy who died of cancer and his son I took hunting? Black folk.

So though I'm not black, I would say blacks are much better off than 50 years ago. I work with black attorneys, CPAs, and many others in professions of every sort. I have around 40 black clients in my business. For the most part the stigma of dealing with black people in the white community is gone. And the opportunities for blacks are vast and almost unlimited compared to 50 years ago.

Though several posters are accurate in their assessment of how the welfare state has created leeches in our society. For blacks who want it, the opportunity to live a better life and change your own exists. But just like it is for any person, it ain't easy.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I would say about 40% are better off. The majority of the rest choose to be welfare babies and have more of them. It is a form of reverse slavery. They are slaves of the welfare system and it gives them something to bitch about while getting paid to not work. They should get jobs like "mattress tester" like L'il Abner had in the funny papers. Go to work, go to sleep, wake up and go home. Oh wait, they can do that without leaving home now.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    mannings main point in the video was that the government has provided a means for keeping black people down. Welfare, food stamps and the like.
    He said government handouts were a big reason 70% of black kids grow up without a daddy in the house. Because goverment has became the daddy
    and he said as a race, socially,, they are worse off today looking at what the family structure has become for blacks

I think he is correct about that.
    Good book out called Uncle Sam's Plantation by Starr Parker: Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do About It, Revised and Updated Edition: Star Parker: 9781595552235: Amazon.com: Books

Are they better off? In short no, not at all assuming being better off means standing on your own 2 feet and living as a free people. But the Dems had and have other plans for the minorities especially the Blacks and that is of course slavery. The blacks are more enslaved today than they were in 1860. Back then they worked on the plantation, planted cotton, picked cotton, had crops and worked and worked hard. Today on the plantation they don't work at all, all the needs of life are given from cradle to grave. In college (1970) I did a research paper on welfare. One of my findings was 2nd generation welfare families. Today we are seeing 3rd generation and more. Welfare and all it entails (free fones, bicycles, food, utilities etc etc) has turned into a career job and it pays quite well. For some well over $200,000 per year tax free.

But the toll it takes is in a total loss of self dignity and the ability to stand on your own, the cost comes in drug use, gang involvement, poor health and a malaise that steals the pride and drive from a group of one proud people. Worse its made them victims and turned victims into a career that pays well.

The race baiters will speak of the horrors of slavery (albeit it in America it was nowhere near as bad as they claim). What is never spoken of is what they did for America, Cotton was King and they made it happen. The South was very successful and prosperous and they played a MAJOR role, so much so they when the war was over our nations economy collapsed and it took many years to recover. Their hard work should be recognized instead of being hidden from view.

But a growing segment of them are going to school, getting an education and doing so without Affirmative Action, just by working hard and meeting the challenge of everyday life.

I own a company that has a retail play and we sell to general public. I meet folks of all walks of life and the blacks I meet are everyday Americans just like everyone else. But I can assure you they also look like everyone else. I have not see a hat on sideways, pants down around knees or learn to speak ebonics just to converse with them. That said, until we restore the family unit that welfare took away, till we pay less for more kids and until we stop exchanging free money, goods and services for their vote every couple of years far too many will remain in a brutal slavery that steals from them the very essence of their humanity and has left them not much more than animals in a cage, only let out to vote.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Let's see. This goes back a bit more than 50 years but when my mom was a kid, her dad took her to a picnic under and around a tree with a lynched black man hanging in it. Local law enforcement was in attendance, chowing down with their Klan brothers. The image of that man hanging in that tree haunted her for her entire life.

Breakingcontact makes a valid point that broken families are a huge step backwards but, on balance, I think things have become a bit better. If my mom were still around, I think she'd probably agree.

That's effed up. Only one lynched man? There had to have been more.

No seriously, it is effed up, and it's a shame your mother had to see that kind of stuff. More of a shame that it actually happened.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well that just went on my reading list.
    But a growing segment of them are going to school, getting an education and doing so without Affirmative Action, just by working hard and meeting the challenge of everyday life.

Oh don't even get me started on affirmative action. If a black man comes in and asks for a job, I have no way to tell if he really did put in his time and effort to earn his education and experience, or if someone just gave him the title to it because they felt sorry for what someone else did to someone else. It robs the decent man of good opportunity and robs me of a good colleague.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    All this talk about free rides keeping folks from standing on their own two feet... I largely agree but... what does Welfare have to do with the CRA?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    The blacks are more enslaved today than they were in 1860. Back then they worked on the plantation, planted cotton, picked cotton, had crops and worked and worked hard. Today on the plantation they don't work at all, all the needs of life are given from cradle to grave.

This statement lacks...sanity.:crash:

In 1860 a slave could be whipped, beaten, tortured, raped, have their children stolen, and killed.
    You are on about welfare, but welfare is not related to the CRA, or do you think welfare started with the CRA and only applies to African Americans?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    This statement lacks...sanity.:crash:

In 1860 a slave could be whipped, beaten, tortured, raped, have their children stolen, and killed.
    You are on about welfare, but welfare is not related to the CRA, or do you think welfare started with the CRA and only applies to African Americans?
    hey who said that? ?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well that just went on my reading list.

Oh don't even get me started on affirmative action. If a black man comes in and asks for a job, I have no way to tell if he really did put in his time and effort to earn his education and experience, or if someone just gave him the title to it because they felt sorry for what someone else did to someone else. It robs the decent man of good opportunity and robs me of a good colleague.
    Affirmative Action is just another well orchestrated plan to hold blacks down. It insures they get a job and education no matter how poorly they did. In schools (unless its changed) the only way they could fail was to not appear to take the tests. Nothing to do with scores as no matter the score they got a passing grade if they took the test.

djr46

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Carbon
    In schools, unless it has changed.........

YES, it Has changed. The students these days, regardless of color, do nothing, but are passed anyway......due to their "ethnicity".

The students attempting to learn are S-L-O-W-E-D by those that show up for breakfast and lunch.

The Entire educational system is perverted by Federal Money, Tax Payer money. Feds have it and All School Districts take it ON the condition they do what the Feds want, or NO money!

ISDs Take the money.....education is beside the point, these days.

Anybody took a Long look at the Common Core crap bring doled out by Feds to School Districts? Our money is sponsoring a "dumbdown" of the majority of students.

IF parents are not very involved and teach at home, there is zero learned at "school". If students don't get it at home they will likely be promoted and not have a clue.....about their future......

How many parents take an interest?

YES, things have changed....in more ways than one....

DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Breaking news: Almost 110,000,000 (million) people on means tested (welfare) social programs in the US, source: 2012 US Census. Larger than the population of Russia.

Keep in mind only 97 Million people pay taxes.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Breaking news: Almost 110,000,000 (million) people on means tested (welfare) social programs in the US, source: 2012 US Census. Larger than the population of Russia.

Keep in mind only 97 Million people pay taxes.

I heard those figures also include social security which I don't consider welfare as I paid in specifically to it. Now those who didn't pay in, that's welfare.

Top Bottom