Hurley's Gold

Are black people better off 50 years after the Civil Rights Act?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I heard those figures also include social security which I don't consider welfare as I paid in specifically to it. Now those who didn't pay in, that's welfare.
    No they don't. Even Billionares get SS if they paid in.
    T"he means-tested welfare system consists of 69 federal programs providing cash, food, housing, medical care, social services, training, and targeted education aid to poor and low-income Americans. Means-tested welfare programs differ from general government programs in that they provide aid exclusively to persons (or communities) with low incomes.

In FY 2011, federal spending on means-tested welfare, plus state contributions to federal programs, will reach $940 billion per year. The federal share will come to around $695 billion, or 74 percent, while state spending will be around $250 billion, or 26 percent.

Combined federal and state means-tested welfare is now the second-largest category of overall government spending in the nation. It is exceeded only by the combined cost of Social Security and Medicare. Welfare spending is greater than the cost of public education and is greater than spending on national defense."

Welfare State: 69 Means-tested Programs and $940 Billion in Annual Spending

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I am still learning about Texas.

Why are white people referred to as Anglos by Mexicans? I am various European and native ancestory as well as Italian and Spanish ( as in Spain) buddy from college was from Texas and of Mexican heritage and he always referred to the white guys on the football team as anglos/ I always thought anglos to be british, german and things like that.

They're racists. But you'll get called a racist if you call out a brown person on their racism.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I was around 50 years ago and I would say the answer to the OP's question is a resounding YES. When I was a youngster in a small town, I remember seeing restrooms and drinking fountains designated "Whites Only". I wondered why. When I asked my parents....well, let's just leave it at that.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I keep hearing they are better off because they can drink out of the same water fountain as I do. Yea, so what if you are living in public housing, have 8 kids, drugs and booze are your choice of fun, of the 8 kids they all have a different daddy, if you go to work you lose your welfare check, there is no pride in your life, no satisfaction of a days work other than watching the TV all day and your only goal in life is to qualify for one more of the 69 hand out programs the govt offers you. Sorry, but drinking out of the same water fountain does not mean squat.

72% children born without a father

Black on Black crime is a major problem. FBI has a ton of info on this

Obesity: Why not, everything is free and that is the price that has to be paid and of course vote every couple of years.

The govt did not give them a safety net, it gave them a hammock instead. Affirmative Action programs have never made a single black better or smarter. In a study done by the US Army on Black officers the results were WTF! We had black officers on active duty with 6th grade level reading, writing and math skills, yet 100% of all officers have a college or better degree.

25 years in the IT business and I hired every black that came thru my door, which was very few and even fewer had the skills to work in my shop, I would send them to school and do anything to bring them up thru the ranks and very few stayed on, they just could not hack it...(same almost goes for women, but I had a higher degree of success with them grasping what we did).

There is a growing trickle that have shunned the free programs and work hard and become a success, but you cannot do it while laying in a hammock, or getting passing grades for just taking the tests. The Dems aided by the GOP have done more to hold them back than at anytime in the history of our country.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I also remember 50 years ago first hand. You could leave your home unlocked all the time even when on vacation. When you bought a new car the keys stayed in the ignition as long as you owned it and if it was stolen the blame was all on the thief! My uncle taped his drivers license to the steering column of the family car and only carried money and a pocket knife, no need to show your papers to anyone.

President Eisenhower tried to get Civil Rights laws passed during his term but was blocked by the Democrats led in part by Representative Johnson of Texas, I don't think his plan included Social Justice and handouts for a bunch of parasites with no desire to better themselves so they would vote Democrat for the next 200 years!

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I keep hearing they are better off because they can drink out of the same water fountain as I do. Yea, so what if you are living in public housing, have 8 kids, drugs and booze are your choice of fun, of the 8 kids they all have a different daddy, if you go to work you lose your welfare check, there is no pride in your life, no satisfaction of a days work other than watching the TV all day and your only goal in life is to qualify for one more of the 69 hand out programs the govt offers you. Sorry, but drinking out of the same water fountain does not mean squat.

72% children born without a father

Black on Black crime is a major problem. FBI has a ton of info on this

Obesity: Why not, everything is free and that is the price that has to be paid and of course vote every couple of years.

The govt did not give them a safety net, it gave them a hammock instead. Affirmative Action programs have never made a single black better or smarter. In a study done by the US Army on Black officers the results were WTF! We had black officers on active duty with 6th grade level reading, writing and math skills, yet 100% of all officers have a college or better degree.

25 years in the IT business and I hired every black that came thru my door, which was very few and even fewer had the skills to work in my shop, I would send them to school and do anything to bring them up thru the ranks and very few stayed on, they just could not hack it...(same almost goes for women, but I had a higher degree of success with them grasping what we did).

There is a growing trickle that have shunned the free programs and work hard and become a success, but you cannot do it while laying in a hammock, or getting passing grades for just taking the tests. The Dems aided by the GOP have done more to hold them back than at anytime in the history of our country.

While I agree with your government handouts argument, I disagree with your argument regarding the CRA. Those are completely mutually exclusive. The CRA offers many wonderful opportunities. The welfare programs encourage laziness and abuse. The Government giveth and the government taketh away.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    They are better off in terms of material goods, increased rights, however worse off in decline in family units and available jobs, lot of reasons, increased welfare holds people prisoner it breeds hate and resentment toward the giver.

The Democrat party depends on the minority ladder they support for votes not caring if those individuals advance, another enemy of blacks is public schools who aren't interested in teach skills to live instead teaching how bad America is and how all minorities have been treated bad.

All in all a culture of failure pushed on minorities by liberals to control them.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I also remember 50 years ago first hand. You could leave your home unlocked all the time even when on vacation. When you bought a new car the keys stayed in the ignition as long as you owned it and if it was stolen the blame was all on the thief! My uncle taped his drivers license to the steering column of the family car and only carried money and a pocket knife, no need to show your papers to anyone.

President Eisenhower tried to get Civil Rights laws passed during his term but was blocked by the Democrats led in part by Senator Johnson of Texas, I don't think his plan included Social Justice and handouts for a bunch of parasites with no desire to better themselves so they would vote Democrat for the next 200 years!
    I am nearly 70, grew up in the S, Texas and E Texas, San Antonio (South side and proud of it) till dad retired in '62 and we moved to the ranch. Back in those days almost all blacks worked, there was no welfare and they strong families. I was partially raised by a black woman, who I loved dearly, she was one of the first folks I stopped in to see when I came back from Vietnam and I think I can she loved me, I remember her taking me to the Circus and I could not see so I sat on her shoulders, God rest her soul. She was my nanny.

Yes I remember the days of keeping keys to the ranch truck, cars, tractors and everything else in the ignition. Bad folks would rarely cross barbed wire, anyone who has that has livestock if they have live stock they are always fencing and if you fence, you carry a gun, I certainly did and killed many a water moc and rattlesnake on the fence lines.

I was brought up that your word was your bond and damn sure better than any piece of paper written up by some jack leg lawyer. Those values are long gone and America has been taken over by lawyers...were it me, I would not let more than 33% of Congress be lawyers. The Constitution was NOT written to be interpreted by lawyers but rather the common man. Instead we have a nothing but tens of thousands of laws on the books, over 33 pages worth of tax law and its getting to the point to have to have a lawyer just to take a pizz.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    While I agree with your government handouts argument, I disagree with your argument regarding the CRA. Those are completely mutually exclusive. The CRA offers many wonderful opportunities. The welfare programs encourage laziness and abuse. The Government giveth and the government taketh away.
    Are you talking about the Community ReInvestment Program?

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Ole Cowboy, I'm talking about ALL government handouts that aren't somehow earned by able-bodied and minded folks. The CRA has nothing at all to do with these government handouts.

Top Bottom