Guns International

AR's the wave of the future....................

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    1681071720794.jpeg
    Gun Zone Deals

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I understand what you are saying. But the 6.5cm, 6.5prc, 7mmprc and 300prc cartridges all utilize high BC bullets. When you tell me you are using a 300prc and not a 300win, that implies that you wanted a better BC. I think we could say that the cartridge is riding on the coattails of the ELD bullets.

I guess I’m not following. Those same bullets can be used in say a 300 Win Mag for comparison.

Now it can be argued that the CM/PRC cartridges are optimized for those bullets by placement in the cartridge.

For someone wanting easy button for a factory rifle and factory ammo they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Really?.....

Yes, really. Task and Purpose is nearly as bad as National Interest when it comes to procurement news. They may even be as bad as Army Times. Maybe.

It's still in the experimental stage, and all we know (since the government won't give us comparisons of the 6.8 common vs 5.56 or .308) is that it still has the X designation, Sig's contract is for further development/testing, not general adoption, and it still requires AP ammo to penetrate LvIV plates.

Guns like this come and go, some stuff will stick around, the vortex optic has the best chance.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess I’m not following. Those same bullets can be used in say a 300 Win Mag for comparison.

Now it can be argued that the CM/PRC cartridges are optimized for those bullets by placement in the cartridge.

For someone wanting easy button for a factory rifle and factory ammo they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You’ll have to excuse my ignorance. I have never reloaded. If I have a 300 win mag rifle, and I want to shove a 212g ELD bullet in a 300win case with that same rifle, will it run with that bullet?

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    You’ll have to excuse my ignorance. I have never reloaded. If I have a 300 win mag rifle, and I want to shove a 212g ELD bullet in a 300win case with that same rifle, will it run with that bullet?
    Here's the skivvy on bullets of the same diameter. They will all fit every case designed to hold or modified to hold the same diameter bullet. Regardless of the outside diameter on the neck it plays no part on IF the bullet will fit. You can put a 250gr 30cal bullet in a 300bo and a 307win or a 308tc. The only issues that could be are, throat not long enough to chamber the cartridge depending on c.o.a.l. and/or if you're using a magazine. Possibly more, but that's the only 2 I can think of at this time? Some labeled as 30cal (7.62x39) might be a .311 which could hold the bullet, but maybe not tight enough unless crimped?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the skivvy on bullets of the same diameter. They will all fit every case designed to hold or modified to hold the same diameter bullet. Regardless of the outside diameter on the neck it plays no part on IF the bullet will fit. You can put a 250gr 30cal bullet in a 300bo and a 307win or a 308tc. The only issues that could be are, throat not long enough to chamber the cartridge depending on c.o.a.l. and/or if you're using a magazine. Possibly more, but that's the only 2 I can think of at this time? Some labeled as 30cal (7.62x39) might be a .311 which could hold the bullet, but maybe not tight enough unless crimped?
    Thanks

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I trained with the M16 in the Army; carried one in Viet Nam. I've always owned at least one AR since the mid-1970's. Took one with a case of ammo with me on every overseas assignment as a civilian. Own three right now and have several cases of ammo here at the house. There are probably better rifles/calibers for some issues, but I'm pretty confident the AR will handle any requirement I'll have for it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I once put a 30-30 130 something grain into a 300 rum. It was…a violent impact. :)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    @FireInTheWire

My friend and for those out there who have not reloaded, a simpler view is as follows:

-barrel diameter.

-twist and barrel length. Twist rate to give you a target range of what weight bullets to experiment with. And barrel length to consider certain production rifles to avoid. 25-06 is a good example. Many production rifles don’t offer the barrel length to get the full effect the cartridge was made to perform. So research the cartridges you want to play with.

-Powder/case volume/pressure/seating depth/twist rate
    So as mentioned yes you can load the same diameter bullet in other cartridges BUT! And this is a big but! You need to pick up various reloading books to see what powder options there are. It’s why 308 and 223 are great to reload. So many cheaper powders to pick from and you can use the same powder at times on both. I used to reload with Winchester 748 ball powder. When I say ball it’s the shape of the powder grains. Some are ball, bar, flakes.

Case volume is something Worth understanding because some cartridges with greater case capacity might be inefficient; it’s like talking about the 6.5 cm…it’s great at what it does but it doesn’t have the best case volume. It’s why I will always have a soft spot in my heart for 7mm remington mag. It’s an inefficient powder burner…but with good loads it will produce results that make it a beast and will have less wind drift and drop than plenty of other cartridges.

Then what pressure will be produced from your creation? I used to Molly my bullets. That reduced pressures. But I always went by the primer rule when going hot loads from the book. Keep in mind the book hot loads still have a margin of safety but I look at how my primers look. The edge of the primer body. If it’s flat it’s too hot. A little bit of loss of edge is fine and probably perfect.

-reloading tools.
    Reloading books will show you what dies, presses, trimmers, resizers, lubes, deprimers, priming tools, calipers, powders, scales, and lots of other stuff available based on brand. Rcbs has been around forever and learning on a single stage is affordable and good to learn on.

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    On my 7-08 brass I went with ppu. Checked them after arrival and.................these are good cases! All 500 are sized and trimmed to the same length..........what are the odds? New brass, so I'll be September before barrel arrives for testing.

Top Bottom