Texas SOT

AR's the wave of the future....................

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    @FireInTheWire

My friend and for those out there who have not reloaded, a simpler view is as follows:

-barrel diameter.

-twist and barrel length. Twist rate to give you a target range of what weight bullets to experiment with. And barrel length to consider certain production rifles to avoid. 25-06 is a good example. Many production rifles don’t offer the barrel length to get the full effect the cartridge was made to perform. So research the cartridges you want to play with.

-Powder/case volume/pressure/seating depth/twist rate
    So as mentioned yes you can load the same diameter bullet in other cartridges BUT! And this is a big but! You need to pick up various reloading books to see what powder options there are. It’s why 308 and 223 are great to reload. So many cheaper powders to pick from and you can use the same powder at times on both. I used to reload with Winchester 748 ball powder. When I say ball it’s the shape of the powder grains. Some are ball, bar, flakes.

Case volume is something Worth understanding because some cartridges with greater case capacity might be inefficient; it’s like talking about the 6.5 cm…it’s great at what it does but it doesn’t have the best case volume. It’s why I will always have a soft spot in my heart for 7mm remington mag. It’s an inefficient powder burner…but with good loads it will produce results that make it a beast and will have less wind drift and drop than plenty of other cartridges.

Then what pressure will be produced from your creation? I used to Molly my bullets. That reduced pressures. But I always went by the primer rule when going hot loads from the book. Keep in mind the book hot loads still have a margin of safety but I look at how my primers look. The edge of the primer body. If it’s flat it’s too hot. A little bit of loss of edge is fine and probably perfect.

-reloading tools.
    Reloading books will show you what dies, presses, trimmers, resizers, lubes, deprimers, priming tools, calipers, powders, scales, and lots of other stuff available based on brand. Rcbs has been around forever and learning on a single stage is affordable and good to learn on.

Bullet length is more important than weight. You can have two 200 gr bullets where one is MUCH longer than the other and works best with a different twist rate.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Bullet length is more important than weight. You can have two 200 gr bullets where one is MUCH longer than the other and works best with a different twist rate.
    Ah yes. What was learned on 6.5 bullets long ago.

longer bullets with the right twist rate was beneficial to fighting drag.

When I did prototyping I was approached by a guy working for federal ammunition or maybe he was a contractor who did work for them previously. My memory is an issue on that one. Bullets with turned cuts in them reduced drag by a large margin.

Regardless, modern bullets and barrel manufacturing has come a long way and plenty of cartridges can shoot incredible.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Failed math?

The 6.8 bullet is a bit larger than a 6mm bullet.
    What? The 6.8 common is ballistically similar to .243 WSSM. When someone says "6.8 common is light and smaller than am equivalent round", they are talking about .243 WSSM. Just because they are different diameters, doesn't mean they aren't similar ballistically.

I did not say they were the same bullet diameter.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    The metric system *is* the joke
    Back in '84 when going to automotive school my 1st class was engine overhaul. The metric was just hitting the US auto makers. While my 1st engine was a v6 ford I was never so pissed off at anything as much as disassembling anything in my life. Half of the head bolts were metric and half were imperial. Not just head size, but threads also. Your better label them and remember where they go back. I thought what moron came up with this and then I remembered it was a ford...........moron solved

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

Yea but they go hand in hand. Diameter is fixed. The only way to add weight is length. I suppose you could use an exotic material like tungsten but that comes cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Yea but they go hand in hand. Diameter is fixed. The only way to add weight is length. I suppose you could use an exotic material like tungsten but that comes cost prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Go the other way. Copper bullets are long for their weight and require faster twists than standard lead based bullets of the same weight.

Top Bottom