• ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Posted a couple of hours ago by ASC...

"We are continually monitoring the forecasts and radar for the proposed weather that is suppose to come through in next couple of days. We will know more in the next 48 hours as to when Rifle & Pistol will reopen."

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Posted a couple of hours ago by ASC...

"We are continually monitoring the forecasts and radar for the proposed weather that is suppose to come through in next couple of days. We will know more in the next 48 hours as to when Rifle & Pistol will reopen."

Christmas.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Facebook post said they were going to try and open rifle and pistol tomorrow (June 10).

Sent from an undisclosed location.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    According to their twitter account, they're opening 6/16 @ 9am. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon if I can get away for a bit and report on the conditions.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    No pictures, I was too busy being appalled by my shooting. George Bush Park looks like a lake with a bunch of small islands in it, only the parkway is raised above it, side streets still disappear after a few yards. The road to ASC is above water, but surrounded on both sides by standing water. There is still water on the range, nobody was dealing with the water/ mud/ high grass (probably a few snakes too) on anything greater than 10 yards. There may have been 10 people at most at one time in the 2 hours I was there, pro shop for pistol and rifle was undamaged, road to the clays part was still closed and likely parts are still under a few inches of water.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...George Bush Park looks like a lake with a bunch of small islands in it, only the parkway is raised above it, side streets still disappear after a few yards. The road to ASC is above water, but surrounded on both sides by standing water. There is still water on the range, nobody was dealing with the water/ mud/ high grass (probably a few snakes too) ...
    Glad to hear they're beginning to emerge from the water. It's times like this when I'm happy that Houston wasn't awarded the Olympics the last time we bid. ASC would have been the shooting venue. It would have been bulldozed flat and many millions of dollars would have been spent to build the facilities required. Those types of facilities are highly dependent on computer controls for everything so a flood like this would have destroyed the ability of the ranges to operate. They would have been too expensive to fix. The ranges would have wound up effectively abandoned. It would have been too sad.

So, good for ASC for staying the low-tech range it's always been. It really can't survive any other way.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Same for BRI Addicks range.

I sure wish we could have an indoor club house and bathrooms but they would be destroyed every other year.

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    anyone been out there in the last few days? thinking of packing up and heading over but not sure on water level? Not interested in the pistol ranges so much as rifle. Looks like Barker water level came down about 3 feet since dermunkee was there according to the link in this thread

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Was going to come on here and give a report, but looks like dermunkee beat me to it. Plenty of people in tennis shoes and doing fine. A bit of mud in front of the target stands, but nothing you can't walk around. I was on 50/100 yard rifle and had no qualms, have certainly been there in worse conditions any number of times. Some folks on the rimfire range, and 200+ looked ok although I didn't venture out there today. Similarly to dermunkee's post last week I was appalled by my shooting, but did get to sight in a new rifle/scope combo I had been sitting on since late April

Most interesting thing I saw? Guy and his lady friend shooting matching, suppressed/Leupold scoped Scar 17s...quite a few bucks between those 2 setups.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Little or no standing water, bring boots you can get muddy, was there three days ago
    I'm happy for ASC. However,

Same for BRI Addicks range.
    other ranges aren't as lucky to drain as quickly. Those of us who are members of BRI may be interested in a flyover that was done today. To wit:

That really sucks. :(

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks for sharing that Ben.

Looks like we'll cross back under the "90" flood gauge mark in the next day or so, and I would not be surprised if we have a clean-up work day next Saturday.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    While it sucks paying for entry to another range when you're already paying for membership somewhere else (I had to break down and go to Boyert 3x while ASC was closed), if the itch has to be scratched, the ranges at ASC are decent. I'll likely be dusting off the K31 and hitting ASC Wednesday or Thursday.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Luckily BRI has two ranges, the second being the Juliff range down near Rosharon. While it's not set up for silhouette I can still get my practice in, it's just a much longer drive.

Top Bottom