Patriot Mobile

Austin PD to conduct non refusal blood draws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Q: If they don't need blood to prove impairment then why force a blood test?

The risk is that someone is impaired when they're driving and causes damage to someone else or their property.

Drawing a sample seems extreme if there's not enough obvious evidence of impairment. If there's enough obvious evidence of impairment already then the blood isn't needed anyway.

It seems to me that .08 is kind of arbitrary. Someone could be .08 and not be impaired to an unsafe degree, while another person is completely unsafe at that level.

(I do believe people have a right to drive their vehicle on public roads they've paid taxes for - not a privilege. I also see DWI as a pre-crime. But I'm setting those aside because I really don't understand why the blood is needed anyway).
    Gun Zone Deals

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Statists going to state. Its always great to see so called freedom loving people supporting authoritarian agendas aganst their fellow man - even the innocent.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

The risk is that someone is impaired when they're driving and causes damage to someone else or their property.

Drawing a sample seems extreme if there's not enough obvious evidence of impairment. If there's enough obvious evidence of impairment already then the blood isn't needed anyway.

It seems to me that .08 is kind of arbitrary. Someone could be .08 and not be impaired to an unsafe degree, while another person is completely unsafe at that level.

(I do believe people have a right to drive their vehicle on public roads they've paid taxes for - not a privilege. I also see DWI as a pre-crime. But I'm setting those aside because I really don't understand why the blood is needed anyway).

Hippie agrees with me in this post.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    For the court to solidify the conviction based on evidence.

It also becomes important for sentencing/punishment when there is already a history of DWIs or factors that increase the penalty, like driving w children in the car, accidents, etc.

For example in the landmark case here, the lawyer clearly states throwing out the illegally obtained blood draw (.16 in his case) makes the DWI case against his client much weaker because of how he appears on the dash cam. A legal blood draw would add scientific proof of BAC to the evidence submitted.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...at-lets-police-draw-blood-without-5919510.php

ETA: for the record I'm not saying the illegal draw should be admissed, it should not! I'm saying that a legal admission of evidence makes a stronger case in court.

PC has already been established and the traffic stop has been affected. Prior to draw the subj was in custody.

Here's what's required according to the Texas Municipal Courts
    http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/F...0/Judges/9. Blood Draws/CM - Blood Draws.pdf

Agreed. There's been some amazing BACs with very little impairment displayed.

Last edited:

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I've been the arresting officer that had to get a warrant for a blood draw. It was a felony DWI. As long as the proper procedures are followed I'm good with it. You'll notice I don't get into these debates. Then again, maybe it's because I'm a parent that had to bury a child due to a criminal's recklessness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    If LEO are tasked with keeping the public safe and they pull over a possible DWI and perform the field sobriety tests and make an arrest they have removed the danger from the public. So what if he gets off of his charge, the danger was removed from the public. It's about safety not conviction records right?

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I've been the arresting officer that had to get a warrant for a blood draw. It was a felony DWI. As long as the proper procedures are followed I'm good with it. You'll notice I don't get into these debates. Then again, maybe it's because I'm a parent that had to bury a child due to a criminal's recklessness.

This is the best perspective anyone could possibly ask for on this subject.

Jon, I'm sorry for your loss.
    If LEO are tasked with keeping the public safe and they pull over a possible DWI and perform the field sobriety tests and make an arrest they have removed the danger from the public. So what if he gets off of his charge, the danger was removed from the public. It's about safety not conviction records right?

The issue is insuring a lesson has been taught in an attempt to reduce the likelihood of the offense occurring again.

If it were solely about removing threats from the street, cops would be just taxiing drunks home and to again from the county drunk tank, with no charges involved.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    For the court to solidify the conviction based on evidence.

It also becomes important for sentencing/punishment when there is already a history of DWIs or factors that increase the penalty, like driving w children in the car, accidents, etc.

For example in the landmark case here, the lawyer clearly states throwing out the illegally obtained blood draw (.16 in his case) makes the DWI case against his client much weaker because of how he appears on the dash cam. A legal blood draw would add scientific proof of BAC to the evidence submitted.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...at-lets-police-draw-blood-without-5919510.php

ETA: for the record I'm not saying the illegal draw should be admissed, it should not! I'm saying that a legal admission of evidence makes a stronger case in court.

PC has already been established and the traffic stop has been affected. Prior to draw the subj was in custody.

Here's what's required according to the Texas Municipal Courts
    http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/F...0/Judges/9. Blood Draws/CM - Blood Draws.pdf

Agreed. There's been some amazing BACs with very little impairment displayed.

But BAC is not evidence the person is necessarily impaired and represents a risk to others (risk vs law).

I guess my hang up is mostly with the burden of proof and also taking blood without a warrant.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This is the best perspective anyone could possibly ask for on this subject.

Jon, I'm sorry for your loss.

Actually, that could cause a very biased perspective.

Its terrible that it happened, but it doesn't make a particular person more reasonable or clear headed on the subject.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I guess if you were suspected of a rape, they would have to jerk you off to get a semen sample? :laughing:

I am against drunk driving as much as the next guy but these practices open the door for further rights violations.
    People are pretty quick to support rights violations in the name of "the greater good" or "public safety", especially when they think it can't ever effect them.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Actually, not completely. Refusal to provide a specimen is admissible as evidence against the accused.

The blood sample can exonerate them if they're under the legal limit... and prevent a trial.

That's a pleasant way of normalizing how they can reach high up into your free ass to prove your innocence lol. Would be better to avoid Austinweird all together.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm not against alcohol. I love scotch. I love getting a good buzz. I personally can't get drunk because I learned early on in life that if I cross the line to drunk I won't stop until I pass out. Not for me.

I'm not anti-alcohol. You want to drink? Drink. You want to get drunk? Get drunk. I have no problem with that.

You want to do it in public? Fine. You have a plan in place to be personally responsible (out with friends who aren't all getting drunk, ensuring you have a driver, using Uber, a taxi or other public transit)? Great.

You want to put YOURSELF at risk of serious bodily injury or death? Go right ahead. Skydiving isn't illegal, so "hold my beer and watch this!" shouldn't be, either.

You put the public at risk of serious bodily injury or death? Criminal act that should be investigated, prosecuted and punished.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That's a pleasant way of normalizing how they can reach high up into your free ass to prove your innocence lol. Would be better to avoid Austinweird all together.

Your free ass isn't free when it perpetrates a crime against the state.

Even the constitution recognized this. It's not "you can't get evidence," it's "you can't get evidence without a warrant."

Blood draws with a warrant are, by the very letter of the law, constitutional.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Statists going to state. Its always great to see so called freedom loving people supporting authoritarian agendas aganst their fellow man - even the innocent.

Frightening isn't it. I can almost see them clinching their fists, grinding their teeth, dying to scratch that itch of voting for prohibition.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom