• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vahtryn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    I get my new barrel for my 10/22. If I'm lucky I'll find the other shit I need for it. Will find out tomorrow. I'd love to shoot some paper and get to know some more people.
    DK Firearms

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dec 8th works for me. How about everyone else? There is an IDPA match scheduled for that day, and they usually take a good ~5 bays I believe, so that might not be the best day for this.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dec 8th works for me. How about everyone else? There is an IDPA match scheduled for that day, and they usually take a good ~5 bays I believe, so that might not be the best day for this.
    Dec 15th then? Extended forecast is predicting 64° and cloudy for the 15th. Better than what we got now ;)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    We could always all squad up for the IDPA match. If people don't have an appropriate pistol we can I'm sure scrounge one up for them. If you haven't shot an IDPA match before I highly recommend it....super informative and super fun and you don't even have to use that much ammo generally.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We could always all squad up for the IDPA match. If people don't have an appropriate pistol we can I'm sure scrounge one up for them. If you haven't shot an IDPA match before I highly recommend it....super informative and super fun and you don't even have to use that much ammo generally.

I'd definitely be down with that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That sounds like fun... I have never done IDPA or anything like it before, so can someone teach the n00b? ;)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's at BOTW. I believe it's the CAPS IDPA club's event.

As far as the IDPA event, if anyone is new to it but would like to try it out, I'd be more than happy to give you pointers at the event. They'll typically have a safety briefing, and I believe a new shooters briefing so that all of the range commands are understood, and the basic order of things so there's no guesswork. The basics of things like drawstroke, reloading, etc. are all really really simple, and you can learn it in no time. The most important thing the first time out, especially if new to drawing from a holster, is taking it slow and focusing on good form. You'll build speed later, so don't worry about that. Just take your time, and keep safety in mind.

If anyone wants to do the IDPA event but is new to it, I highly recommend having a GOOD quality holster. Generic one-size-fits-all holsters are not what I would consider a quality holster, and in some cases they can actually be dangerous. A decent kydex holster will only run you $20-30 in most cases. Leather holsters can work, but it depends on the type. If it's IWB and soft leather that collapses upon drawing the gun, this means for reholstering you have to get the support hand involved in holding the holster open. This makes it likely that you might muzzle sweep yourself. Holsters like that are a no go IMO. If you have any questions or need some specific holster recommendations, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im a newbie here, but there is a range opening in Buda Texas on Dec 26th 2013 (day after Christmas) the fee is $22,50 for all day. They have paper range, a junk car range, dueling trees, and a kiddy .22 range. I met the owner at Cabelas and he has ran a hunt club for five years there with a flawless safety record. Im gonna give them a try soon. shootersranch (dot) com

$22,50 ? Do we have a European in our midst?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Centex hunt club has the same address as this new range. How does this affect current hunting lease members? Will late dove season be a more interactive experience?

Saaaaay, wait a minute... "I met the owner at Cabela's." Did he suggest your user name? :-)

Top Bottom