• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I think we should definitely at least work drawstroke and rapid fire, as those are always 2 things that all of us can always use more work on. If anyone coming doesn't have a holster, let us know. Preferrably it should be a safe holster, and one that hopefully does not require two hands when reholstering, as we wouldn't want to run into muzzle sweeping issues with your own hands. I have a few extra Glock holsters, a Sig P226/P220 holster, and I think that's about it for me.

The only pistols I have with holsters are a WWI Webly and some WWII Enfield revolvers. I'm interested to come out, but I have never really shot pistols before. I mean I've fired them, but that is not the same thing. I have a Sistema Colt which should fit into any holsters for a Colt 1911 as it is exactly the same thing. The only other thing I could think to bring is a Colt revolver in .38 special with a 4" barrel. If you guys want to offer any advice on what I should bring that would be great.

Also, a less serious note, is the plan to do 2 hours of practice then something else? I was wondering if I should bring my M1 Garand and my M1 carbine. Thanks guys.
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The only pistols I have with holsters are a WWI Webly and some WWII Enfield revolvers. I'm interested to come out, but I have never really shot pistols before. I mean I've fired them, but that is not the same thing. I have a Sistema Colt which should fit into any holsters for a Colt 1911 as it is exactly the same thing. The only other thing I could think to bring is a Colt revolver in .38 special with a 4" barrel. If you guys want to offer any advice on what I should bring that would be great.

Also, a less serious note, is the plan to do 2 hours of practice then something else? I was wondering if I should bring my M1 Garand and my M1 carbine. Thanks guys.

Feel free to bring any and all of them out! :) We can walk through some of the fundamentals like grip, difference in grip between a revolver and semi auto, etc.

2 hours is typically the maximum amount of time they'll let us stay on a bay. Normally, if an instructor was to schedule a class out there for over 2 hours, BOTW charges $25 per person, and that's just for the tactical bays, so if anyone wanted to use the long range rifle range, I believe they would charge extra. If you guys want me to, since we have about 10 people confirmed, I can ask the range owner if we can set it up as a "class" and basically rent the bay for more like ~4 hours, if that's what everyone wants and if everyone doesn't mind the $25 range fee instead of the normal $16 range fee. We could get plenty done in 2 hours, just with setup and tear down, it doesn't really leave any time to just take a break for a few minutes, have a chat, discuss anything, so we really have to be on point. If anyone has any issues with their guns, or anything like that, that may require us to call the range cold and fix something, which could also take up a bit of time. Unforeseen stuff always happens, so 2 hours might be cutting it close. You guys decide what you want to do, and I can set it up and get it scheduled.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's the updated count:

Me
    TheDan (+2 possibly?)
    Ricklovesbacon +3
    Pilgrim +1
    Breakingcontact
    Mikeinhistory
    Mic (maybe)
    OnyxATX
    Big Dipper

So that's 12 so far, with a potential 14 total. Anyone else? I emailed the range owner and let him know the numbers, so if anyone has to back out, please let me know ASAP so I can try to fill in spots where necessary. I also let him know there might be a few that would be shooting on the long range bays afterwards.

Who wants to or feels qualified also being an RO? With this many people, I'd personally prefer it if we had at least two other people keeping an eye out and sort of steering things as far as safety goes. Let me know or PM me so we can get on the same page beforehand.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I waiting on responses from my buddies two have confirmed. Waiting for more to reply back

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I doubt my +2 will come, but I'll definitely be there. $25 for 4hrs sounds ok to me... I don't want to feel rushed and want to make sure everyone has plenty of shooting time.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So if we doing 4 hours...we going for 8-12? Shoot over lunch or do it all after?

I vote early.

I've started loading up the car already, looking forward to this.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Shoot 8-12 and then lunch 12-1 sounds good to me.

So Travis, I just bought a CORE and put an RMR on it... I've never shot a pistol with an optic before. You want to teach me how to use this fancy contraption or should I bring a gun I'm more familiar with?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Shoot 8-12 and then lunch 12-1 sounds good to me.

So Travis, I just bought a CORE and put an RMR on it... I've never shot a pistol with an optic before. You want to teach me how to use this fancy contraption or should I bring a gun I'm more familiar with?

8-12 lunch 12-1 sounds good to me.

Definitely bring the CORE, but I'd bring something else also. Honestly, the main things that will take the most work to get used to are your "wobble zone" and also building a consistent index of the gun on target. For wobble zone, it's going to take reps and experimentation on your part, to build that confidence that, at certain ranges, you can just ignore that wobble and focus on all of the other fundamentals plus a smooth trigger pull. I'd recommend playing around with the dot torture target/drill, shooting various sized targets at varying distances, and see what you can get away with. Shot B-8 bulls for score at 25yds, and see how much wobble you can get away with while still shooting a good group/score.

As far as index, when you've put in the reps and can pretty much focus on a specific area of a target, then draw and punch your gun out straight to that exact point, and with consistency, you'll know you're where you need to be to get the most out of a RDS handgun. There are a few very simple and FREE techniques you can use to get in a LOT of reps in a short period of time to start building this more quickly, and I can show you at the range. Same principle applies with irons, and sometimes even if you have it with irons, you still have to re-learn a bit with the RDS as the dot can sometimes be on a slightly different plane, or your eyes are simply not used to staring through the RDS and through the dot, and just focusing on your POA on the target. Best thing to build either of these two aspects is take it slow first, work on perfect form, build consistency, then begin to push yourself. Eventually you have to push yourself faster to get faster, then fall off the tracks, back up a bit and get back to perfect form, then ratchet things up again.

BTW, make sure you bring whatever tools came with it to adjust windage/elevation, as I'm sure it will need sighting in.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Ok, so what do we bring? I'm thinking to cart along Glocks for me and the wife along with our ARs. Anything else?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so what do we bring? I'm thinking to cart along Glocks for me and the wife along with our ARs. Anything else?

Whatever you need to be comfortable and safe. Eyes/ears/gloves and so on. Id also encourage everyone to have any cleaning/repair tools as needed and/or a backup gun.

Ill bring a small cooler with some bottled water and some trash bags.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I will bring a 6 foot table. We could probably use about 2 more of these (1 to shoot from at the further distances for those who wish and a couple to put our gear on, so it's not on the ground.

Also, any of those 10x10 popup canopy things would be great.

Top Bottom