• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    You think 1 of those 25 cops went out and beat the crap out of 2 people because they heard a joke?

Now you're being ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, they were going to do it anyways. That's why they laughed, the criminality in the "joke" did not disturb them in the slightest. :)
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nah, they were going to do it anyways. That's why they laughed, the criminality in the "joke" did not disturb them in the slightest. :)

You live in an alternate reality.

And in case you missed it due to posting just after I did. Here is the Cris Rock skit you completely missed the point of.

By delivering the message through comedy, he was able to make the point you are unwilling to see.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Here's a refresher to help you see the videos main point is that if you don't act like a jack ass or have an angry woman in the car "you probably won't get your ass kicked by the police".

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...k-video-sterling-20160707-snap-htmlstory.html

"Taken within the context of Rock’s body of work, most audiences see the skit, recorded more than 15 years ago, as parody – a commentary on police racism with a few in-jokes aimed at other black people. Among Rock’s tips to avoid getting beaten: “Get a white friend” to ride with."

Funny enough, the article goes on to describe the alternative interpretation, i.e. yours. The un-ironic PSA version: "Some relate to the bitter irony of the skit’s simplistic “public service” message that cooperation with the police will keep them safe. If only."

Way to miss the point entirely. Watch your own link again, LOL.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...k-video-sterling-20160707-snap-htmlstory.html

"Taken within the context of Rock’s body of work, most audiences see the skit, recorded more than 15 years ago, as parody – a commentary on police racism with a few in-jokes aimed at other black people. Among Rock’s tips to avoid getting beaten: “Get a white friend” to ride with."

Funny enough, the article goes on to describe the alternative interpretation, i.e. yours. The un-ironic PSA version: "Some relate to the bitter irony of the skit’s simplistic “public service” message that cooperation with the police will keep them safe. If only."

The point, you missed it. Again. LOL.

Lol, from the LA times.

They take one joke about riding with a white friend, which does indeed shed light on the racial aspect of some cases and use that to ignore every other "tip" he gives in the skit.

Like I said, a different lens than most people.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Really? Because the reality of not a single cop in the room pointing out the police criminality in that "joke" seems criminality is nothing more than a laughing matter.

I'm not a cop and I laughed at it. Didn't need to point out the criminality.

When someone makes a rape joke, or a Bill Cosby meme, do we need to stop and point out that rape is wrong?

How about a pug that has been trained to do a Nazi salute in order to piss off a girlfriend. After I get done laughing do I need to put on a serious face and explain that in reality Hitler was a horrible person who was tesponsible for killing millions?

These things aren't necessary because it's the irony that makes the joke funny. Just as in the CR skit it's the irony that these things need to be said that make the skit funny.

This is why leftists are terrible at comedy.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Lol, from the LA times.

They take one joke about riding with a white friend, which does indeed shed light on the racial aspect of some cases and use that to ignore every other "tip" he gives in the skit.

Like I said, a different lens than most people.

LOL, nitpicking about the publisher of the article and dismissing it, all while ignoring the article's discussion on Chris Rock publicly criticizing the police over the years. Great argument there buddy. Then you treat his ironic criticism of assault for contempt of cop as an unironic "tip", hence missing his criticism of that practice entirely.

Try reading between the lines sometime. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    LOL, nitpicking about the publisher of the article and dismissing it, all while ignoring the article's discussion on Chris Rock publicly criticizing the police over the years. Great argument there buddy. Then you treat his ironic criticism of assault for contempt of cop as an unironic "tip", hence missing his criticism of that practice entirely.

Try reading between the lines sometime. :)

I gave reason for my criticism. The fact that they ignored 90% of the skit in order to claim the remaining 10% constitutes the majority of it's point.

Trying reading the actual lines some time.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    I'm not a cop and I laughed at it. Didn't need to point out the criminality.

When someone makes a rape joke, or a Bill Cosby meme, do we need to stop and point out that rape is wrong?

How about a pug that has been trained to do a Nazi salute in order to piss off a girlfriend. After I get done laughing do I need to put on a serious face and explain that in reality Hitler was a horrible person who was tesponsible for killing millions?

These things aren't necessary because it's the irony that makes the joke funny. Just as in the CR skit it's the irony that these things need to be said that make the skit funny.

This is why leftists are terrible at comedy.

The difference is some cops don't think that kind of behavior is criminal.

For example: https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/11/arkansas-cop-adam-finley-mercado

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The difference is some cops don't think that kind of behavior is criminal.

For example: https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/11/arkansas-cop-adam-finley-mercado

You realise that an exception doesn't make the rule, right?

You are applying the actions of a tiny percentage of LE to the whole. Imagine if any other group were treated in such a way.

But you can't view LE as insividuals because it would kill the narrative you are trying to push.

Just as you have attempted to put Chris Rock in to a box, pretending he doesn't have the ability to see any issues that don't support your narrative. I give him more credit than that.

I can post an article about a cop who stopped and played catch with some kids in a bad neighborhood. Does that apply to all LE? Does it speak to all LE?

You take one cop out of millions and attempt to use his actions and apply them to at least 1 cop in 25. It's dishonest at best.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    I gave reason for my criticism. The fact that they ignored 90% of the skit in order to claim the remaining 10% constitutes the majority of it's point.

Trying reading the actual lines some time.

Yes and your reasoning flies in the face of Chris Rock's own commentary on the skit as well as his public stance on the matter.

Feel free to interpret the skit however you wish, just don't be so disingenuous to dismiss the issues Chris Rock brings up with his own content.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yes and your reasoning flies in the face of Chris Rock's own commentary on the skit as well as his public stance on the matter.

Feel free to interpret the skit however you wish, just don't be so disingenuous to dismiss the issues Chris Rock brings up with his own content.

Please post a link to his commentary.

I've found links to selfies while being stopped, but non that have commentary on his advice about how to not get your ass kicked.

His skit was not about getting pulled over too often, it was about not making the national news by being a jackass.

Can you see the difference?

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    You realise that an exception doesn't make the rule, right?

You are applying the actions of a tiny percentage of LE to the whole. Imagine if any other group were treated in such a way.

But you can't view LE as insividuals because it would kill the narrative you are trying to push.

Just as you have attempted to put Chris Rock in to a box, pretending he doesn't have the ability to see any issues that don't support your narrative. I give him more credit than that.

I can post an article about a cop who stopped and played catch with some kids in a bad neighborhood. Does that apply to all LE? Does it speak to all LE?

You take one cop out of millions and attempt to use his actions and apply them to at least 1 cop in 25. It's dishonest at best.

Here's another (already discussed in this forum actually): https://www.kxan.com/news/investiga...wiped-out-in-series-of-indictments/1390845957

You can argue that LE are individuals, but where were the individual cops who dissented and tried to stop this malfeasance? Not a single one in either case. They stayed quiet.

Reminds me of a case where a cop was fired for trying to stop police criminality: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-punching-black-suspect-face-handcuffed.html

The only individual who dissented lost her job. Where are the good cops?

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Please post a link to his commentary.

I've found links to selfies while being stopped, but non that have commentary on his advice about how to not get your ass kicked.

His skit was not about getting pulled over too often, it was about not making the national news by being a jackass.

Can you see the difference?

Chris Rock Show, Season 5, Episode 1.

Unfortunately that discussion wouldn't suit your narrative because he never seriously discusses how to "not get your ass kicked" or "not making the national news by being a jackass", he saves that for ironic skits as a lead-in for serious social commentary. Sans comedy, his serious persona directly criticizes police brutality.

Seriously, read between the lines. There is no mobius strip here, his criticism of cops doesn't magically lead back to a straight-faced PSA.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Chris Rock Show, Season 5, Episode 1.

Unfortunately that discussion wouldn't suit your narrative because he never seriously discusses how to "not get your ass kicked" or "not making the national news by being a jackass", he saves that for ironic skits as a lead-in for serious social commentary. His serious persona actually goes after police brutality.

Seriously, read between the lines.

So you don't believe he can see two sides to the issue?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Um, no, I don't think Chris Rock believes that contempt of cop should be punished by a brutal assault. Nah.

Then you are the one who has missed the point competely. You aren't willing to see his point that acting stupid will have cosequesnces while not disregarding other issues that need to be dealt with.

That is the problem with becoming attached to a certain narrative. You lose sight of the full picture for fear it could be damaging to what you want to believe. It shows that you aren't veing reasonable and has an overall damaging effect to the cause you wish to support.

Chris Rock is an intelligent individual and can see the full scope of the issues. Instead of pretending certain aspects don't exist he has spoken to the full picture. If he is willing to put work in to attacking the issues from all sides, why do you choose ignore aspects of his work on issues he felt worthy of his commentary?

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I wonder how many of those cops went out and actually did it. I bet it is more than zero.

What exactly is the punch line of this joke? Is there any actual social commentary here (like with the Chris Rock skit) or just a direct warning to uppity civilians to respect the uniform?

Dude, put down the hash pipe. It's not even about the cop, but how buddies interact with each other. I could explain it to you all day, but you just wouldn't get it because you live in a delusional world full of rascism and hatred.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Two guys were hanging out at the bar when a drunk walked up and sat down. First guy told him to back off and the drunk beat the crap out of him. Walked up to the second guy and beat the crap out of him too.

Second guy asked "why did you beat the crap out of me? I didn't do anything."

Drunk said "yeah, but as soon as I left you woulda told your buddy "I wish he'd tried that shit with me"

Meh, funnier as a cop story. Hope I didn't just encourage people to get drunk and beat the crap out of random strangers in pairs.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Two guys were hanging out at the bar when a drunk walked up and sat down. First guy told him to back off and the drunk beat the crap out of him. Walked up to the second guy and beat the crap out of him too.

Second guy asked "why did you beat the crap out of me? I didn't do anything."

Drunk said "yeah, but as soon as I left you woulda told your buddy "I wish he'd tried that shit with me"

Meh, funnier as a cop story. Hope I didn't just encourage people to get drunk and beat the crap out of random strangers in pairs.

Meh, make it a gay bar . That way at least the pairs won't be random.

Actually, there is a lesson in both....careful who you mouth off to.

Top Bottom