• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joseph Bell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I think you could have handled it differently. There is always room for being the "nice guy". You would have made a lasting impression on him if you approached him in a more positive, professional manner instead of the negative, demeaning route... I really think all you did was embarrass and sour him on the gun community, instead of allowing him the chance to correct himself. From my experience dealing with the general public, you get absolutely no where with anyone by yelling at them or making them feel foolish.

Although I can understand your point of view, I think it’s a bit misplaced on this. If someone was driving like a fool in the parking lot and almost ran over a kid, people would be cussing raising hell, etc. However, point a firearm at someone’s head, with their finger on the trigger deserves a lesser response? I totally disagree, firearms are to be treated with respect, not just because you could hurt yourself, but because you’re more likely to hurt someone else. Funny how they hardly point a gun at themselves, but have no problem doing it everyone around them. It’s unacceptable behavior and must be corrected sternly and quickly. I think an ass chewing for pointing a gun at someone’s head is pretty reasonable , more reasonable than I would have been.

I really don't see, based on the info you provided, how he "argued" with you, you caught him off guard by the sound of it, which made him question your initial statement. All I see is that he tried to de-escalate a situation by explaining that it was not as unsafe as it appeared, then you proceeded to escalate the situation from there. Just my view of the situation you provided though.

Of course he would try to deescalate the situation, he was wrong’er then two boy’s fucking in a dark closet. His response should have been “I am sorry and it won’t happen again” and then he shoot have put the gun down….period…

I don’t want to push people away from firearms or the “community” but I think one of the reasons we have so many people acting like total fools around firearms (i.e. gun store, range, home, etc) is because people are not strict enough on the idiot’s and chewing their asses off…

tap&rack_TXinfidel

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Austin
    . My one and only issue here is the approach he took with the kid. You took the wrong tact in approaching the kid to correct him. If this took place at gun range you would have gotten an applause and a pat on the back from me and anyone else who takes this shit seriously. However, You did not teach that kid a single thing with your approach, all you did was piss him off and cause the employees in that section of the store to try avoid you in further dealings.

Standing there I felt the approach was fairly mild, I mean he was a little embarrassed but I feel that is a consequence of doing something very dangerous with a firearm. I can't tell you how many times a year a company ships their firearm with "free ammo." Too many to be dulled to hearing a click while seeing a muzzle. I know we all agree on saftey and the golden 4, and most people here have been civil but I never once felt I needed to interviene because Texas1911 was out of line.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Standing there I felt the approach was fairly mild, I mean he was a little embarrassed but I feel that is a consequence of doing something very dangerous with a firearm. I can't tell you how many times a year a company ships their firearm with "free ammo." Too many to be dulled to hearing a click while seeing a muzzle. I know we all agree on saftey and the golden 4, and most people here have been civil but I never once felt I needed to interviene because Texas1911 was out of line.

Me: "If you do that again you will be looking at a loaded Glock"

That is not a fairly mild approach. That is a pretty serious statement.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Kyle, you're assuming Alan is a spineless SOB who told this guy one thing because he thought he wouldn't talk back to him, and would take a different approach to someone who was "scary" to him.

What if this is how Alan handles that situation every single time no matter who the person mis-handling the gun is?
    I don't know, and neither do you - unless you've personally witnessed him running off with his tail between his legs on one instance or another.

At no point have I ever alluded to Alan being spineless, scared or one to run with his tail between his legs. All I said is that he would not have gone off the deep end in that situation if that was a grown ass man instead of a kid. Don't put words in my mouth.

If you havent been able to grasp what I am saying at this point, you never will.

I own/operate a business and I see this situation play out day-to-day. You may fool yourself into thinking that an "adult" is going to give the same treatment to all ages, but you will never convince me that a 50 year old man and a 20 year old guy are ever going to receive the same respect and treatment from a perfect stranger.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Of course he would try to deescalate the situation, he was wrong’er then two boy’s fucking in a dark closet. His response should have been “I am sorry and it won’t happen again” and then he shoot have put the gun down….period…

Although I can understand your point of view, I think it’s a bit misplaced on this. If someone was driving like a fool in the parking lot and almost ran over a kid, people would be cussing raising hell, etc. However, point a firearm at someone’s head, with their finger on the trigger deserves a lesser response? I totally disagree, firearms are to be treated with respect, not just because you could hurt yourself, but because you’re more likely to hurt someone else. Funny how they hardly point a gun at themselves, but have no problem doing it everyone around them. It’s unacceptable behavior and must be corrected sternly and quickly. I think an ass chewing for pointing a gun at someone’s head is pretty reasonable , more reasonable than I would have been.

I don’t want to push people away from firearms or the “community” but I think one of the reasons we have so many people acting like total fools around firearms (i.e. gun store, range, home, etc) is because people are not strict enough on the idiot’s and chewing their asses off…

I see what you are saying, don't get me wrong, but Inadvertently pointing a gun at someone is not on the same scale as knowingly driving recklessly and almost hitting a kid. It absolutely deserves a response, but different situations require different responses.

My point in all of this is that you don't use a stick of dynomite when a fire cracker will do.

No one wants to be surrounded by or associate themselves zealots. When you are constantly chewing ass all you do is push people away because that is what you come off as.

My last post on the subject... No sense in going on about this. It's monotonous .

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Nearly every person who negligently shot another person did it with an "Empty" gun. Unfortunately you can make it mandatory that all guns come inscribed with neon yellow letters that say, "This gun should be assumed to be loaded until it is visually verified otherwise," and people are still going to shoot other people because of stupidity.

The stupid employee not only refused to sincerely apologize but didn't learn his lesson when a person's life was at stake. If he seemed really sorry about it afterward and manned up then that's the time to start feeling sorry for going too hard on him. Didn't happen and that kid should be unemployed.

To drive the point home- imagine if Texas1911 got shot and killed because of this. Then we'd all be furious. A really cool dude would be dead. The website would probably go down. The anti's would use it as ammunition against our cause and probably even say fucked up things like, "He deserved it for his lifestyle," or, "If he were alive he'd be on our side." And then would we be so sensitive to other people doing the same dumb gun bullshit afterward?

It is absolutely vital we police our own- on so many levels we can NOT afford to let "Accidents" happen.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If that was a 45 year old 250lb biker standing behind the counter, your first instinct would not have been to go off the deep end and threaten him with a loaded gun.

What, is that kind of person supposed to be imposing?

I can only speak for myself - that vs a kid wouldn't change my approach. If anything, I'd have gone easier on a soft kid.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All I said is that he would not have gone off the deep end in that situation if that was a grown ass man instead of a kid.

This "kid" was bigger than me, and I've done far worse to much bigger and more imposing people.

I'm not a very imposing person, I'm 27, 5'10", and overweight, but you're welcome to ask people that know me ... there's not much I haven't said, or won't say to someone.

It's not a "tough guy" thing. I don't go looking for fights, but I'm not going to cower in the corner the second something warms up either. I'm extremely laid back and chill.

austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    Why is it that everytime someone attempts a "PSA" on this forum, they feel the need to spit out their .18 cents and berate the OP, even when he happens to be the Forum Owner?? Texas 1911 didnt ask anyones opinion on how he felt he handled it....its pretty clear he potentially saved future lives from being taken and was just informing us of a potentially fatal situation we ALL should be on the lookout for...How bout we all STFU and just thank him for what he did and leave it at that???

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    At no point have I ever alluded to Alan being spineless, scared or one to run with his tail between his legs.
    ...really?:
    It was a kid that you perceived as inexperienced and you took the opportunity to be the BMOC and flex your muscle because you know he isn't going to get back in your face... If that was a 45 year old 250lb biker standing behind the counter, your first instinct would not have been to go off the deep end and threaten him with a loaded gun.
    Hmmm. Sounds like the actions of someone spineless to me.

Don't put words in my mouth.
    Indeed!

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Why is it that everytime someone attempts a "PSA" on this forum, they feel the need to spit out their .18 cents and berate the OP, even when he happens to be the Forum Owner?? Texas 1911 didnt ask anyones opinion on how he felt he handled it....its pretty clear he potentially saved future lives from being taken and was just informing us of a potentially fatal situation we ALL should be on the lookout for...How bout we all STFU and just thank him for what he did and leave it at that???

People love to armchair quarterback.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    People love to armchair quarterback.

this is why i stay out of certain discussions or limit my comments within those topics that might get nasty. also why ive been limiting my comments on all the forums i belong to.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You did much better than I would have. I would have done something that would require him to bend over and spread his cheeks if he wanted to show that particular gun to anyone else. Then I would have my 10 year old explain the rules of gun safety that start with "All weapons are ALWAYS loaded" and end it with the fact that is always the unloaded guns that kill and mame unintended.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think this one has run it's course.

Kyle / Kurt, thanks for the discussion.

Just a heads-up ... Someone mentioned earlier about being concerned about expressing their opinion for fear of being banned (opinion was directed towards my commentary). Don't be afraid to disagree with me. I'm not going to ban someone that easily, the people that get banned on here generally earn it, and usually it's for a few days so everyone can cool down.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom