• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

watsit2u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    philippines
    Good move. I even tell my 5 year old son not to point his toy gun at people. When he gets older he can point and shoot a real gun at bad guys (hopefully not).
    DK Firearms

austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    Stumpy,

Is that excuse for a gun owner still your "friend"?? Thats plain F'ing scary...scarier than the muzzle sweeps were even talking about here in these stores!! Id have trouble spending time with any "friends" of mine after they act like that. Im glad you chewed on him at least...

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    stumpy...remind your friend of the marine that was recently killed during a hunting trip because a man and his grandson heard noise in the brush and opened fire without knowing the target.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

tap&rack_TXinfidel

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Austin
    You did not read this thread correctly and need too be VERY sure of an accusation like that. I am Tyler, I was the guy Texas1911 was at the counter talking to when this happened, but I was not the moron in question. I was never "listed", anywhere and if you look back from the start, I accually say a few things about it. Please read more carefully next time and fix your comment when you read this.

I was just being a smartass. I think the employee was listed as Tyler?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You did not read this thread correctly and need too be VERY sure of an accusation like that. I am Tyler, I was the guy Texas1911 was at the counter talking to when this happened, but I was not the moron in question. I was never "listed", anywhere and if you look back from the start, I accually say a few things about it. Please read more carefully next time and fix your comment when you read this.

Correct.

Tyler is the best person you can possibly talk to on that gun line. Marcus is usually in the library and he's a good source too.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas

My apologies. I leave you to your delusions of grandeur.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    We saw a pair of eyes, so we killed the truck, kept the light trained on the pair of eyes. Then all of a sudden, my buddy fired his rifle. As we looked for whatever he shot(which happened to be a bobcat, we found the body), I asked him what he shot at, and he replied that he didn't know and he "just saw eyes". I proceeded to chew him out, and explained why that's unsafe, and asked him why he would fire without being sure of the target, and his only response was "You're an idiot. If you are spotlighting, and you see eyes, you shoot." SMH.

Nice. Ask him who he wants for his prison butt-buddy when he eventually goes up for manslaughter one day.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I have to agree, Kurt. What in the hell possessed you to say something like that?!

OK, since you asked. I intensely dislike internet dog pile sessions where we have only one viewpoint. Although the original employee was wrong in his actions, this incident should have never left Cabelas, much less made a mandatory read when accessing this site. Texas1911 has the right to make a public spectacle of the event, but Tyler’s chest-thumping post about sticking a boot in his ass is a self-aggrandizing event, thus my previous post.

The employee has had no opportunity to state his case, nor probably any knowledge he has been called a moron and a dick-weed publicly by a co-worker. If he did, I fear Tyler might be unemployed if Cabelas knew. It works that way where I work as we have policies on social networking as it pertains to harassment. Also, disciplinary action or counseling are private matters protected by law. Everyone on this thread seems to be fond of spouting law when it makes his or her point.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can disagree, but you need to be civil to the members you disagree with.

Take whatever side you want, argue your points all you want. Just keep it civil.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    OK, since you asked. I intensely dislike internet dog pile sessions where we have only one viewpoint. Although the original employee was wrong in his actions, this incident should have never left Cabelas, much less made a mandatory read when accessing this site. Texas1911 has the right to make a public spectacle of the event, but Tyler’s chest-thumping post about sticking a boot in his ass is a self-aggrandizing event, thus my previous post.

The employee has had no opportunity to state his case, nor probably any knowledge he has been called a moron and a dick-weed publicly by a co-worker. If he did, I fear Tyler might be unemployed if Cabelas knew. It works that way where I work as we have policies on social networking as it pertains to harassment. Also, disciplinary action or counseling are private matters protected by law. Everyone on this thread seems to be fond of spouting law when it makes his or her point.

Valid points.
    Definitely something to consider. The public "dog-pile" is simply the nature of this beast (the internet). When another employee of that establishment joined this particular discussion, a whole new list of rules came into play.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I think this was a bit over the top in my opinion... Put yourself in his shoes here. The kid responded sarcastically as a way to get you off of his case, I am sure he knows the 4 basic rules but he was not about to trade words with someone who is berating him. I work in a retail environment, I do not entertain anyone who approaches with any sort of degrading tone and I don't expect anyone else to either. Yes, he should be more aware of his surroundings. No he should not have had the gun pointed at you. It is good of you to point out his mistake, but I think there was a better way to handle it without making him feel like a fool in front of other customers and co workers. A better way to handle this situation would have been to step back and gesture to him asking him to redirect the muzzle. He likely would have responded with an apology while redirecting the gun with the thought of safety and caution now on his mind also with his respect for you still fully in tact; instead though, he is embarrassed and pissed off; The only thing he is thinking about is you flying off the handle.This is a Give respect, get respect situation which I see preached so often on this awesome forum. If this took place at a gun range, or any place other then in a retail store, then I would say a threat of "2 in the chest and 1 in the head" for a muzzle sweep would be warranted without question. This situation is NO DIFFERENT than any gun show that I have ever been to. You can't make a move in a gun show without there being a muzzle pointed in your direction or at someone else. It is difficult to look over a weapon without muzzle sweeping someone while in a group of people.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Cabela's is aware of the incident and I was asked about it on my return trip by management. It's done and over with.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think this was a bit over the top in my opinion... Put yourself in his shoes here. The kid responded sarcastically as a way to get you off of his case, I am sure he knows the 4 basic rules but he was not about to trade words with someone who is berating him. I work in a retail environment, I do not entertain anyone who approaches with any sort of degrading tone and I don't expect anyone else to either. Yes, he should be more aware of his surroundings. No he should not have had the gun pointed at you. It is good of you to point out his mistake, but I think there was a better way to handle it without making him feel like a fool in front of other customers and co workers. A better way to handle this situation would have been to step back and gesture to him asking him to redirect the muzzle. He likely would have responded with an apology while redirecting the gun with the thought of safety and caution now on his mind also with his respect for you still fully in tact; instead though, he is embarrassed and pissed off; The only thing he is thinking about is you flying off the handle.This is a Give respect, get respect situation which I see preached so often on this awesome forum. If this took place at a gun range, or any place other then in a retail store, then I would say a threat of "2 in the chest and 1 in the head" for a muzzle sweep would be warranted without question. This situation is NO DIFFERENT than any gun show that I have ever been to. You can't make a move in a gun show without there being a muzzle pointed in your direction or at someone else. It is difficult to look over a weapon without muzzle sweeping someone while in a group of people.

I've been in his shoes, and for years, and not once have I done what he did.

Being muzzle swept is one thing ... I would not have reacted the way I did for something like that. It was him pressing the trigger with the gun pointing at my face that made me react the way I did. I'm sorry, there's no "nice guy" when someone is doing that.

This kid won't learn ... the fact that he argued with me is enough to illustrate that. If someone got in my face I would have apologized immediately and told them I should know better. Why? Because it's not for me to decide, if that person felt unsafe enough to confront me then that is reason enough to address what I am doing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom