• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    1911 comes in first in all of those categories.
    I could instruct many untrained persons (including females, those with disabilities, or older children) to use a revolver (load, unload, reload, discharge, etc.) in a matter of hours.
    I know several men who hunt with rifles who would be hard-pressed to learn to use a 1911 proficiently given the absence of prolonged training. And, I have met some (both genders) who would not be able to chamber a round in a 1911, no matter the allotted time, due to limited strength/and or debilitation.

See #4 in my original post, regarding adaptability/ease of use by the neophyte or untrained.

That said, I would be quite comfortable with a 1911 in most scenarios.
    If I broke down on the side of the road and had to leave an untrained person behind with a weapon, I would feel much more comfortable giving them a 2 minute lesson on the use of a revolver than I would a 1911 - and leaving it with them for protection.
    Not everyone has had the level of training or possesses the level of familiarity with weapons that many of us do.
    That's one of the reasons that I celebrate constitutional carry in Texas with mixed emotions. There is a major difference between being an owner of a firearm, and being a responsible owner of a firearm.
    I digress and that's a matter for another thread!
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I figured out the Colt 1911 is one of the best handguns ever
    Well, it is certainly seems to be THE one that requires more modifications than our political system before people get it to function to their satisfaction. It's a lot like the AR-15 in that regard. Almost no one seems satisfied with the original design or even the improved design of either. Folks just keep modifying the 1911 and changing more for a pistol that someone else will only decide needs even more modification and an even higher price.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The 1911 is a wonderful gun with a wonderful design but it is limited in it's capacity at least in .45 with a basic 7-8+1. Some are truly jamamatic as well. In a life or death situation though (here starts the flame), Glock is the best. I knew that was the purpose of this post anyway.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    My second choice would be a S&W Model 19 4'' barrel with 125 gr jhp.
    I like my Model 19-3 but you know they are not designed for full power mag loads. I actually like it as much as my Python. Maybe the new ones can handle full power better.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I could instruct many untrained persons (including females, those with disabilities, or older children) to use a revolver (load, unload, reload, discharge, etc.) in a matter of hours.
    I know several men who hunt with rifles who would be hard-pressed to learn to use a 1911 proficiently given the absence of prolonged training. And, I have met some (both genders) who would not be able to chamber a round in a 1911, no matter the allotted time, due to limited strength/and or debilitation.

See #4 in my original post, regarding adaptability/ease of use by the neophyte or untrained.

That said, I would be quite comfortable with a 1911 in most scenarios.
    If I broke down on the side of the road and had to leave an untrained person behind with a weapon, I would feel much more comfortable giving them a 2 minute lesson on the use of a revolver than I would a 1911 - and leaving it with them for protection.
    Not everyone has had the level of training or possesses the level of familiarity with weapons that many of us do.
    That's one of the reasons that I celebrate constitutional carry in Texas with mixed emotions. There is a major difference between being an owner of a firearm, and being a responsible owner of a firearm.
    I digress and that's a matter for another thread!

If someone can't use a 1911 with minimal training, I don't see how they could use any semiauto.

Of course revolvers are the most foolproof with respect to operator. Until it comes time to reload...

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The 1911 is a wonderful gun with a wonderful design but it is limited in it's capacity at least in .45 with a basic 7-8+1. Some are truly jamamatic as well. In a life or death situation though (here starts the flame), Glock is the best. I knew that was the purpose of this post anyway.

I see some folks keep saying 1911's jam, but at the range all the jams I see are in tupperware guns. And I see that almost every trip. And with all the rounds I have put through 1911's, I only had one jam and that one failed out of the box. Manufacturing quality issues, sent it back and it worked fine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hello Gentlemen,

I say the best handgun is the one that comes in handy in a clutch. I bet if one had to use a Cobra .22 Magnum Derringer to save one's life, that pistol would be the best. But for myself, the best handguns are Glocks. I know this because I own many, and I carry them daily. I would only carry the best tools when endeavoring to protect myself and my family.

Welcome to the Forum!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I don't trust Glock lovers.
    anim_Chair.gif

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The 1911 has proven itself to be a great firearm through conflicts and contests, and through lasting 110 years and still going strong.

If you ever shot a Browning Hi Power, you know what a terrific pistol it is. John Browning started work on it so it had great parentage. Super comfortable in the hand, very reliable, and widely used by foreign military. Someone traded one in at a local gun shop and I was lucky enough to be the first to see it. While I was filling out the paperwork, 3 other people came by, saw it on the counter, and offered to buy it.

The Colt SAA is so widely used in westerns that just about everybody is familiar with it. (There's even a movie about the Alamo in which the SAA is used. Amazing since it wasn't invented for another 37 years.) Get past the Hollywood stuff and the pistol actually was a terrific firearm. Solid, well built, reliable, and with cartridges that had the power to do the job.

The Luger is one of the most beautiful and iconic pistols ever built. From a reliability standpoint, it's not very good at all, and it's because it has to rely on a toggle that can easily get jammed. Take a look at a parts diagram for one and it's easy to see why the Germans replaced it with the P38. Most German officers had P38s or Brownings or even the PPKs. (Notoriously, Hitler committed suicide with a PPK.) Still, every GI in the ETO wanted a Luger as a souvenir.

There are a lot of "best" pistols. Some of them went away because their cost was too high, some because of changing times. Look at the number of LEOs that used S&W Model 19, Colt Python, or more recently Ruger GP-100. Solid guns with great reputations, but today everybody wants to use semiautomatics. Glock lovers love Glocks, and to their credit, they usually go "bang" when you pull the trigger. The SIG P320 was good enough to match Glock (and beat them on price) and will undoubtedly be more loved than the Beretta (which was just a bad decision for so many reasons). And, yeah, it won't take long for the butthurt Glock kids to point out the issue with dropped SIGs discharging. (Get over it; the whole thing was blown out of proportion and Sig made changes.) Personally, I think the P320 is an excellent pistol. Accurate, reliable, flexible (changing styles and even calibers), and super simple to maintain.

You could even include some pistols that aren't widely used for military or LEO situations, but are deeply loved. The Ruger Mark I (and II, III, IV), the Browning Buckmark, the Ruger Blackhawks, etc. I bought a Blackhawk off of a friend that was in dire straights. I paid a bit more than I normally would have just to help the friend. Took it to the range with a friend of mine and he asked what I was going to do with it. "I dunno. Maybe use it for a trade or just sell it." We shot it a bit. When my friend finished shooting it, he said, "You're never going to part with this pistol. It's just too damn much fun." That's another definition for a "best" firearm.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ya gotta love these "best" threads. Sounds more like some fanboy cheering than an actual discussion of what make something the best. What criteria is specified to base parameters on to define what really is best?

And even if we did define the specified parameters, I would still say the answers or opinions were exactly that, opinions and rather subjective based on personal preferences and bias'.

Top Bottom