• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do you care to elaborate and provide any sources for such information? I have been an owner, shooter, and enthusiast of the 1911 platform for over thirty five years, and have read quite a few various books and articles on the 1911 over the years. Nothing I have ever seen or read indicates that Winchester Repeating Arms ever produced any 1911's commercially, or even for wartime purposes. WRA was one of the companies awarded a contract to manufacture 1911's during World War I, but those were never actually manufactured since the contract was cancelled due to the ending of that war.
    Don't hold your breath.

SATX never provides sources or links. You just have to accept his word as gospel and he'll argue even if you provide sources to the contrary.
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Don't hold your breath.

SATX never provides sources or links. You just have to accept his word as gospel and he'll argue even if you provide sources to the contrary.

That is very well possible, and many times in the past, exactly as you say is true. Just that I am very curious, and even with all the years of being a 1911 enthusiast, I have never heard of Winchester ever producing a 1911. I don't claim by any measure of being any expert on 1911's, and it does have very varied and colorful history over they years, that it is entirely possible to have missed something. Hence the asking of more clarification and some sources to his claims of a WRA's 1911. I'd even love to see some pictures if such a pistol does truly exist.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That is very well possible, and many times in the past, exactly as you say is true. Just that I am very curious, and even with all the years of being a 1911 enthusiast, I have never heard of Winchester ever producing a 1911. I don't claim by any measure of being any expert on 1911's, and it does have very varied and colorful history over they years, that it is entirely possible to have missed something. Hence the asking of more clarification and some sources to his claims of a WRA's 1911. I'd even love to see some pictures if such a pistol does truly exist.
    Hey Axxe,

Not a winny....

I live about 45 minutes from Cabot, Pa...

If I ever hit the Lotto....even a little hit..........

1622469871450.png

Yes. A "right" and "left" handed pair of 1911's with accoutrements....

CABOT ARMS....."Fire & Ice"............

I'm a buy two tickets......

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axxe,

Not a winny....

I live about 45 minutes from Cabot, Pa...

If I ever hit the Lotto....even a little hit..........

View attachment 258940

Yes. A "right" and "left" handed pair of 1911's with accoutrements....

CABOT ARMS....."Fire & Ice"............

I'm a buy two tickets......

Later, Mark

Cabot Arms makes some of the finest and most beautiful looking 1911's on the market. As pricey as they are, they are for the very discerning collector that has a very fat wallet.

I don't visit their website much anymore. I drool too much and my keyboard stops working!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Cabot Arms makes some of the finest and most beautiful looking 1911's on the market. As pricey as they are, they are for the very discerning collector that has a very fat wallet.

I don't visit their website much anymore. I drool too much and my keyboard stops working!
    Hey Axxe,

They auctioned off a pair of Damascus 1911's a couple years back for some NRA Function....

Like to say?? That pair brought in something like? $50,000?? YIKES! (there were pics, here local......)

C'mon LOTTO! :roflfunny:

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axxe,

They auctioned off a pair of Damascus 1911's a couple years back for some NRA Function....

Like to say?? That pair brought in something like? $50,000?? YIKES! (there were pics, here local......)

C'mon LOTTO! :roflfunny:

Later, Mark

Sometimes auction prices for a benefit are not always an accurate indicator of actual value, as sometimes people get caught up in the bidding, but even given that, they would still be extremely expensive even is sold at retail.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    If I was to want a "collector" 1911, my holy grail 1911 would be a WW2 Singer made 1911. I have only seen one in my life, many years ago in a private collection and not for sale at any price.
    A friend of mine, used to work at Union Switch & Signal (Edgewood, Pa) before they closed.

Said they had a cabinet with several "cut a way's" of the US&S 1911's "upstairs". He was a machinist...

Have no idea what happened to them....US&S closed up a long time ago...

1622470692123.png

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A friend of mine, used to work at Union Switch & Signal (Edgewood, Pa) before they closed.

Said they had a cabinet with several "cut a way's" of the US&S 1911's "upstairs". He was a machinist...

Have no idea what happened to them....US&S closed up a long time ago...

View attachment 258947

A Union Switch & Signal 1911 would be one of the second most desirable 1911's from WW2, since only about 50K were manufactured. Singer only manufactured 500!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    A Union Switch & Signal 1911 would be one of the second most desirable 1911's from WW2, since only about 50K were manufactured. Singer only manufactured 500!
    Hey Axxe,

And who ever got the "cut aways"...?? A real TREASURE!

Hope some "offspring" (to the estate?) did not just "scrap" that old "garbage" of "Dad" or "Gramps"....??

I have not (not saying that I would have) heard of any of the "prototypes" or "cut aways" ever coming up for sale....

Am sure that if they had, someone would have made mention...(oh, did ya hear...??)

I do hope that whoever has them, is cherishing them....

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hey Axxe,

And who ever got the "cut aways"...?? A real TREASURE!

Hope some "offspring" (to the estate?) did not just "scrap" that old "garbage" of "Dad" or "Gramps"....??

I have not (not saying that I would have) heard of any of the "prototypes" or "cut aways" ever coming up for sale....

Am sure that if they had, someone would have made mention...(oh, did ya hear...??)

I do hope that whoever has them, is cherishing them....

Later, Mark

Same here. I hope that someone didn't just scrap them out as some junk steel.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well, they give people something to talk about. Personally, I prefer the "overrated" threads like this one. I think I'll necropost that one just to bring it to the top again.

In all honesty, I just kind of got burned out on such types of threads years ago. As some have suggested, trade the word "favorite" for best, as in most cases, it's a thread about opinions and preferences.

Too many times, years ago, noobs would post such threads, stating how their particular choice in firearms was the best ever made and on the market. Questioning them about how they came to their conclusions, usually led to such as, that was their first pistol, or that they had only owned that particular model, or brand. Hmmm...So they are basing an opinion on one or two, or maybe a couple of pistols, and of only one model, or one brand, and that is becomes their criteria of what they consider best?

In over fifty years of shooting pistols, and many, many types and brands over those years, some I owned, some belonging to family or friends, I still can't say what pistols are really the best. And to be fair, there are thousands of models and brands I haven't had the opportunity to shoot either.

Yes, I have my favorites, and preferences like anyone else, but I still stand on "best" as being subjective and a preference rather than some standard that can be measured. Best for my, is what works best in a given set of circumstances and fits the needs I nee it to fill, and fits my hand.

Top Bottom