Best place to buy powder and primers locally

wbstx11

Sep 14, 2015
I know this should be of interest to all, the price of primes and powder can vary quite a lot, and because of the hazmat fees it's impractical for one to buy on line. So, (especially in major cities) where have you found the best deal on powder and primers and what was a recent price?

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
I was very impressed with 10 Ring Precision in Houston. That is a nice reloading shop and they have good prices and selection. It is one of the best reloading stores I have been in.

I do not remember their prices exactly but do remember wishing I had more cash on me.

JT Sports in Coperas Cove is a good store too. Not huge on tools but they have a good powder selection and bullets. They are close to me so that always helps.

I will pay $30/1000 for primers and $30 a pound for powder and not cry if I need them. If I find them for less I may grab some to stock up but that hasn't been a necessity for a while.

scap99

TGT Addict
Nov 10, 2010
Cypress
I was very impressed with 10 Ring Precision in Houston. That is a nice reloading shop and they have good prices and selection. It is one of the best reloading stores I have been in.

I do not remember their prices exactly but do remember wishing I had more cash on me.

JT Sports in Coperas Cove is a good store too. Not huge on tools but they have a good powder selection and bullets. They are close to me so that always helps.

I will pay $30/1000 for primers and $30 a pound for powder and not cry if I need them. If I find them for less I may grab some to stock up but that hasn't been a necessity for a while.
I'm right down the road from them. Great selection and friendly staff.

Pricing isn't always the best, but if you need it and they have it, it does beat waiting on the delivery truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LFHenderson

May 4, 2015
10ring also has a stock notice you can sign up for to get an email of what powders they have on hand.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jpatm2

Jul 4, 2014
Bexar Community Shooting Range has the biggest powder selection of any San Antonio shop that I have seen. They have a wall of 8 pound jugs and a wall of 1 pound jugs.

jmanic

Aug 22, 2009
Austin TX
I'm fortunate to live only about 15 miles from Cabelas in Buda. They have a thorough selection of powders and supplies, and the in store prices differ from the online advertised prices in some instances. i picked up some hornady 178gr and 208gr AMax bullets each for $32 100ct, and 1lb of RL-17 $28, 1lb of IMR 4350 for $28. Lots of in-store markdowns, and I believe they will match online store prices as long as they are not clearance prices. For the convenience and the cost, I'll stick to cabelas for now.

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
Hazmat costs are a killer for me when it comes to powder and primers.

I've had good luck at small mom&pop stores and occasionally at Cabela's.

Pistol powders and a few rifle powders are still hard to find.

The good thing about reloading is that there are lots of powders that can get the job done, even if they are not your favourite powder.

I prefer Unique, but have substituted "X"

I prefer AA2230, but have substituted "XX"

I prefer Bourbon over Scotch!

Be well.

trigger643

Feb 20, 2014
Kingwood
Another vote for 10 ring. Their pricing is competitive, if not always the cheapest, but I'll pay extra to support this local business and occasionally tap into their expertise.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members