Lynx Defense

Better start getting offline contacts and friends...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    Facebook must be destroyed, it doesn't translate directly.

From Cato the elder, after visiting Carthage he noted how prosperous the city was after the second Punic war. As a veteran of that war and having first hand experience with Hannibal's conquest of much of Italy he thought they had gotton off way to easy and it was just a matter of time before the struggle started again. He ended each speech with Carthage must be destroyed, and as it came to pass, the city was obliterated at the end of the third Punic war.
    Hurley's Gold

Cobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Facebook must be destroyed, it doesn't translate directly.

From Cato the elder, after visiting Carthage he noted how prosperous the city was after the second Punic war. As a veteran of that war and having first hand experience with Hannibal's conquest of much of Italy he thought they had gotton off way to easy and it was just a matter of time before the struggle started again. He ended each speech with Carthage must be destroyed, and as it came to pass, the city was obliterated at the end of the third Punic war.

What’s Latin for Twitter?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well that brings up a good point... How do you share resources with others that you want to keep hidden?
    Where *.onion resources are concerned, the folks that need them and are motivated will find them; open-net sharing is unnecessary and counter-productive.

As for your question in a broader sense, I don't believe there is a good answer. We're long past the days when important plans were made solely in person, in small groups, in ale houses, with people you've known all your life.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It is still sacred and private. It's a federal crime to open and read mail that isn't addressed to you.

And unless the USPS suspects illegal, or dangerous materials in the mail, they can't open and inspect it either.

Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly used to be sacred, too. Mail privacy is an endangered beast. As soon as the left feel they have enough power, they'll be going through our mail looking for unapproved opinions with all the glee of the most dedicated Soviet censor. Anything counter to the narrative must be stamped out. Badthought is thoughtcrime and is doubleplus ungood.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Mmmmm.... wonder what would happen if, say, the USPS as we know it was abolished? Wouldn't take much to convince Congress being as the USPS can't seem to figure out a way to be an at least break-even entity. Just a note I said "As we know it". Package delivery only or something similar. P2P or P2G communications channeled to the internet - which probably a majority of it already is. Then how hard does it become to monitor communications/thoughts/plans?

If you did not see what's happening now coming; How can you, in good conscience, suggest that these things are simply not possible nor probable?

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Where *.onion resources are concerned, the folks that need them and are motivated will find them; open-net sharing is unnecessary and counter-productive.

As for your question in a broader sense, I don't believe there is a good answer. We're long past the days when important plans were made solely in person, in small groups, in ale houses, with people you've known all your life.
    Zeronet seems to be a pretty accessible implementation of something that might be useful for distributed content sharing.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I am thinking of dusting off the packet radio setup and firing it up again. It's probably as close to Internet as we can get on the air.
    And, if you were a bit closer, I would be happy to come help with the antenna project.
    KB7UAL
    Thanks, I am hoping that my son can take off work and come in to Austin, but he hates this place, I will get the mast in the air though. I am sitting here in the snow belt and have the 2 meter fired up

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Gentlemen, if you are worried about this and other forums disappearing, might I make a suggestion?

There's this program called Discord, which basically allows you to create a group where members can freely talk to one another, either through text or you can actually talk to one another without having to give out your phone number. It's been around awhile, and it works quite well. Best part is, it's free. You can either download the program and access it directly from your desktop, or you can just access it online.

I don't feel that it's a replacement for a dedicated forum. Due to the way Discord works (active chat vs threads with posts in them), going back and finding old discussions is difficult. There's no real good way of storing old information that you can just go back and look at. It is an additional way to keep in touch though.

Here's one I just created. It's rough and needs some work, but is is usable right now. Give it a try.

https://discord.gg/sYjV2YEmGT

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I may have to watch some YT how-tos. Discord may as well be hieroglyphics to me.

I know people who absolutely love it and I know I should learn it but my brief attempts to do so in the past have been miserable failures. I guess I just lacked motivation and now, well, maybe that motivation is growing. I hope so.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I may have to watch some YT how-tos. Discord may as well be hieroglyphics to me.

I know people who absolutely love it and I know I should learn it but my brief attempts to do so in the past have been miserable failures. I guess I just lacked motivation and now, well, maybe that motivation is growing. I hope so.
    That is where I was, just hit the sight, when some of my links went haywire.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Ok, where is our rallying point if this site and the other sites get shut down?

Whataburger near 1488 and 1774 in Magnolia? I threw out a random locale as its close to home for me, and we can get a quick lunch while everyone shoots the shit :laughing: But in all seriousness its going to get ugly, sites where people can learn about firearms, discuss firearms, or are in any way considered friendly to the conservative viewpoint are going to get censored or outright shut down. Offline comms will be a biggie. People are going to be unpersoned. They're already starting the march to attacking people's jobs just for their political views. AT some point they're going to push people to a breaking point where violence is the only natural recourse. That's going to be horrible, ugly, and just lead everyone down a path of pain and sadness - and the victors in the inevitable conflict will write the history.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Gentlemen, if you are worried about this and other forums disappearing, might I make a suggestion?

There's this program called Discord, which basically allows you to create a group where members can freely talk to one another, either through text or you can actually talk to one another without having to give out your phone number. It's been around awhile, and it works quite well. Best part is, it's free. You can either download the program and access it directly from your desktop, or you can just access it online.

I don't feel that it's a replacement for a dedicated forum. Due to the way Discord works (active chat vs threads with posts in them), going back and finding old discussions is difficult. There's no real good way of storing old information that you can just go back and look at. It is an additional way to keep in touch though.

Here's one I just created. It's rough and needs some work, but is is usable right now. Give it a try.

I already use Discord so this is perfect. Just joined

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It takes some getting used to. Think of it as a chat room with the option of voice chat. The best way to learn it is probably just to dive in and use it.

I've been working on getting the settings where they need to be. It's looking more professional now.

I don't understand the channel selection. If I am understanding it, you chose a channel then a # to comment/read right? But it seems like all the channels point to the same #. Does it matter what channel you use?

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

Interesting. I had heard of it, but did not know how it worked. Unfortunately, I could not get all the way to the forum before it hung up. I may need to back off on my Ghostery settings?
    Party on, dudes.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    Expect EVERYTHING to start coming under censorship and de-platforming.

This article kind of goes along with what originally started this thread.

Talk-Radio Owner Threatens to Fire Hosts Who Dispute Election Results

Entertainers? Agitators? Or do they truly feel what they state?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t fool yourself in to thinking places like Discord aren’t monitored.

At one point me and some friends had a small chat set up through Tapatalk that was used for setting up private meets, hunting trips, etc. made communication with the group easier.

Worked great until we posted pictures from the hunting trip and suddenly emails started rolling in that the pictures must be deleted or the account would be banned. Don’t think no one is watching, and don’t think it won’t be another platform that will be targeted and will fold as soon as it becomes useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom