Blackhawk SERPA Holsters, simply not worth the risk!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Seriously, you could have done better than that. As TXI implied, this horse is dead.

Txin(ve)stigator is permanently on my ignore list for his pathologically contentious and condescending attitude. His posts are nothing but an intellectual version of a "Stuffed shirt;" once he starts to lose an argument he either ignores evidence contrary to his position, makes a claim about how anyone can fabricate anything, or aligns himself with an expert and makes an argument from authority (thus his fixation with the penal code- the ultimate authority). He isn't worth wasting time with.

If your posts remain as vapid as this one you will join him. Not that I expect you to care; I'm simply giving you the courtesy of a head's up. If you dislike my posts perhaps you should pre-empt me.

To get back on topic, I think we've found the newest incarnation of the 9MM vs .45 argument.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Txin(ve)stigator is permanently on my ignore list for his pathologically contentious and condescending attitude. His posts are nothing but an intellectual version of a "Stuffed shirt;" once he starts to lose an argument he either ignores evidence contrary to his position, makes a claim about how anyone can fabricate anything, or aligns himself with an expert and makes an argument from authority (thus his fixation with the penal code- the ultimate authority). He isn't worth wasting time with.

If your posts remain as vapid as this one you will join him. Not that I expect you to care; I'm simply giving you the courtesy of a head's up. If you dislike my posts perhaps you should pre-empt me.

To get back on topic, I think we've found the newest incarnation of the 9MM vs .45 argument.

Does "this one" refer to mine or yours, because they are both equally vapid. Courtesy? Lol....you're pretty damn full of yourself. By all means, hit the ignore button.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

You read everything I write. I am sorry you can't take valid, solid arguments.

God, I love this place.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I actually stopped by academy today to take a look at the Serpas and see what all the fuss is about.

Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm sure someone will) but it looked like the lever you push to release the gun is actually above the trigger, closer to the frame rails where your finger is supposed to be when you draw.

It looked like you would have to push the release the drop your trigger finger to get it in line with the trigger, then put it in the trigger guard. If it stayed where the button was and pressure remained it would just be pressing against the side of the frame.

I still haven't used one but I do wonder if the increased number of NDs associated with the holster(if there really is one) could be more closely related to the fact that its a commonly found inexpensive holster and would appeal to many who may not have a lot of experience in proper drawing technique and booger picker placement. There are tons of inexperienced shooters who will be looking for an inexpensive and easy to find tacticool holster to practice their high speed low drag drills at the range. Common product+inexperienced users=trouble.

Just a thought.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What if a car's parking brake was not a lever, but was instead a button on the dash, placed directly next to another commonly used button such as the A/C or Radio power button? Although a person could operate their other buttons in a perfectly safe manner, would that not still be a serious design flaw?
    I'd move it to the steering wheel. That'd be fun to be able to stab the e-brake and keep both hands on the wheel ;)

LOL I think Glock will end up producing one in the next few years
    Didn't they at make one at one point, but it was blocked from importation? ...or am I thinking of a different model?

On the Serpa... I don't care for them, but also don't see what the big deal is. Don't curl your finger; keep it strait and use the pads between the joints to actuate it. I suppose this might not work for some people depending on the size and shape of your hands, but it works for me when I've tried them out. I've got one of those holsters like London was talking about earlier, too. Don't hate it, but don't really like it either. I'd rather have molded plastic that "clicks" in with friction or a thumb snap.

Ignore the professional opinions and do whatever you want.
    Done! :cool:

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    e5y3yvaq.jpg

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

Anybody who thinks this holster presents a risk should watch this video. It's like saying the gas peddle presents a rist when we stop at red lights. Self control, bing alert, and a tad bit of common sense is all that is needed to avoid such a stupid mistake, in both topics. I am admittedly not an expert and not even in the top 50% of experienced folks on this forum, but I NEVER hook my finger when I draw my sidearm and that is the ONLY way you can have a negligent discharge with this holster. I am EXTREMELY shocked to see the amount of members arguing that the holster has anything to do with people's problems with it. Unless you have had an ND with this holster, all of your arguments are completely hypothetical because you can't put yourself inside that person's mind and body when the ND, with the Serpa, happened. All Blackhawk did with this holster, was utilize the way most of us draw our sidearm, and implement the retention to work in conjunction with it. The bottom line is that people are hooking their fingers to push the button, when the button was designed to be engaged, naturally. The problem lies in bad habits, not the design or function. I whole heartedly believe that all of the facts show that this is a mental issue in people who are probably clumsy in every day life. Maybe it's just me, but my brain doesn't tell my finger to make a hook at the sight of a button.

Combative W

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    People seem to be missing the point when it comes to "don't curl your finger" when you draw the holster. When you have a body alarm response (which means shit has gotten real and it was unexpected), the bodies NORMAL and UNCONTROLLABLE response to the threat will be the potential and probable contraction of fingers if you are trying to draw a weapon or if you have a weapon in your hand. Your hands will be grabbing that gun, if you get to it in time, with a death grip in reality. This is backed up by scientific and other various studies done in correlation to "fight" or "flight" responses to stress. Having taught and experienced true high stress firearms scenario training, I have witnessed this as well as other normal bodily reactions that validify this fact. This is probably one of the biggest issues in training that I see with 90% of the general industry. From a defensive shooting perspective, you have to incorporate the bodies natural responses to stress into your training. And use of gear for that matter.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    People seem to be missing the point when it comes to "don't curl your finger" when you draw the holster. When you have a body alarm response (which means shit has gotten real and it was unexpected), the bodies NORMAL and UNCONTROLLABLE response to the threat will be the potential and probable contraction of fingers if you are trying to draw a weapon or if you have a weapon in your hand. Your hands will be grabbing that gun, if you get to it in time, with a death grip in reality. This is backed up by scientific and other various studies done in correlation to "fight" or "flight" responses to stress. Having taught and experienced true high stress firearms scenario training, I have witnessed this as well as other normal bodily reactions that validify this fact. This is probably one of the biggest issues in training that I see with 90% of the general industry. From a defensive shooting perspective, you have to incorporate the bodies natural responses to stress into your training. And use of gear for that matter.

If this was the case, wouldn't it apply to any holster? If this were the case, in my mind, as soon as the gun leaves ANY holster, the trigger would be engaged and one would get a round in the leg/hip.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    If this was the case, wouldn't it apply to any holster? If this were the case, in my mind, as soon as the gun leaves ANY holster, the trigger would be engaged and one would get a round in the leg/hip.

No, because I don't have to use my trigger finger to apply inward pressure to release my gun.

Top Bottom