motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    It's called logic, knowledge, and understanding

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Years ago, Academia was the place for "logic, knowledge, and understanding" but now it seems more like "feelings, indoctrination and and understanding LMGBTMGMGT"??????????????????????? whatever all those letters mean. I think it has something to do with gays and lesbians owning MGBs and MG Midgets?????

bob

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Our school had a silly bus.
    I didn't get to ride it though.
    No idea what they did. Went to the zoo a lot, I think.

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    I'm a professor considering syllabus language regarding firearms in my classroom following SB 11.
    My draft syllabus language (starting Aug 1, 2016) is intended to be simple and clear:

"Firearms policy: In my classroom, the rule is "Don't ask, don't tell, don't show". That is, I won't ask you about your chl status or whether you are carrying, you won't tell me either, and you won't show your weapon. We will pretend as if there are no firearms in this classroom ever, and we'll all get along just fine. Anything else is a situation."

Does this forum consider wording like this acceptable, or at least consistent with the current law?

What happens if a student breaks it? I mean for example by revealing, negligently or intentionally.

I'm not trolling, I really want to know. I've thought long and hard before posting here and I'm not looking for a flame war.
    I've taught in several universities. it is your classroom, your rules. You set the tone. I personally ban all electronic equipment from being out, being used. I certainly make exceptions for certain cases, but mostly because these devices interrupt the learning environment. That is the key.

Telling them they cannot open carry may be above your pay grade, that might come down to the administration.

If let's say you allow open carry in your class, and some kid freaks out, I would suggest treating it like a properly trained 911 operator, ask the student what the student with a gun is doing, and if they are taking notes, then tell that student this is the new normal and they will likely see this more often as time goes on.

Remember also, this doesn't take effect until Sept. next year, so by that time presumably the university will have come up with a policy, and your syllabus will have to conform to this policy.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Telling them they cannot open carry may be above your pay grade, that might come down to the administration.

If let's say you allow open carry in your class, and some kid freaks out, I would suggest treating it like a properly trained 911 operator, ask the student what the student with a gun is doing, and if they are taking notes, then tell that student this is the new normal and they will likely see this more often as time goes on.

Remember also, this doesn't take effect until Sept. next year, so by that time presumably the university will have come up with a policy, and your syllabus will have to conform to this policy.

He doesn't have the option to allow open carry in his classroom.

It's NOT legal. Concealed ONLY.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've taught in several universities. it is your classroom, your rules. You set the tone. I personally ban all electronic equipment from being out, being used. I certainly make exceptions for certain cases, but mostly because these devices interrupt the learning environment. That is the key.

Open Carry in universities? "Sept next year"?

What are you talking about?

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    He doesn't have the option to allow open carry in his classroom.

It's NOT legal. Concealed ONLY.
    I don't know the full details of the legislation to be honest. I still don't know what reasonable restrictions mean in Texas. But if open carry is prohibited on universities, I am not sure how anyone would know if someone had a concealed handgun in the first place. I doubt it would have to be addressed at all. Why a student would want to publicly state they were armed to a professor is a bit troubling though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I see people CC fairly often. And still perfectly legal on their part.

Sent from my HAL 9000

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    IMVHAUOWNPKOTS (In my very humble and uneducated opinion with no prior knowledge on this subject)....That right there was quite hilarious! You win for the day!

I love it when people start out a post with "I have no fucking clue what I am talking about but here is what I have to say" lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom