• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yep. Many of the current crop of younger "professors" with whom I've recently come into contact have yet to realize that the peripheral knowledge and understanding gained from doing research is, when you start drawing conclusions, often the most valuable.

Don't want to be uncharitable, but that realization/understanding here is either missing, or there is an unwillingness to put it to practice.

This ^^^^^^^^
    Target Sports

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cbigclarke,

I've been saying that all along

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was HOPING that you were wrong & "TexasProf" was HONESTLY looking for WISE counsel from our membership. = PITY that I was likely DEAD WRONG.

yours, satx

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Mr. Prof,

I'm a 32 year old guy going back to college to pick up some Math so I can pursue a Masters in Economics.

If I were a professor. I'd strongly suggest NOT addressing the topic in a syllabus.

It will bring unwarranted attention to the topic. Im assuming you're being advised by your school administration on how to deal with incidental exposures (NOT ILLEGAL). This is overkill in my opinion. When a "your shirt tail is riding up" will address the topic quickly discreetly and efficiently.
    Quite frankly if I had a professor walk out, call the police and detain me. I'd definitely challenge the policy as a whole.
    Particularly since math is not subject to professor discretion when it comes to my grade.

As previously stated behavior is clearly enumerated by the Texas legislature. There really is no need to add to it.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    They would have a better claim if they were a practicing attorney. This is really a legal realm issue and has not to do with Professor of X.

Think of it like a 30.06 sign. It's an indication you need to take a different section of the class, taught by someone else. :)

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    Starting January 1st everyone with a CHL well be able to open carry on any state campus. They can not go in to a building though. If it's a state school, the property is owned by the state not the school. I have confirmed with my UPD that I could open carry 01/01/2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    Also I'm retired military and if a prof told me ANYTHING incorrect about my rights I would challenge it. I've challenged restaurants before for illegal signs.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Starting January 1st everyone with a CHL well be able to open carry on any state campus. They can not go in to a building though. If it's a state school, the property is owned by the state not the school. I have confirmed with my UPD that I could open carry 01/01/2016

This is absolutely, positively untrue. You CAN NOT open carry on an educational institution, period. End of story. Your university police department is WRONG.

DPS's web site (and the law itself) confirm this: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/legal/newlegislation.htm

Read Section 47 of the enrolled law changes here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB00910F.htm

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen

Yup, following that advice, will get you in a lot of trouble.

from an idgit coffeeholic

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    According to UPD the garages are exempt because of the castle doctrine, then the land that the campus sits on is not the premise of the institution. The premise does not start until you enter a building owned and operated by the university. They maybe wrong. But what they did, is define what the premise of the university is.

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    By no means am I doing it. It is stupid to me. What's the point to carry it around. I'm there to go to class and if I can't take it into a building, it does no good for me.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    According to UPD the garages are exempt because of the castle doctrine,

They should read the link I posted, Section 47, PC 460.35 (a-1) update. It is a Class A Misdemeanor to open carry there.

then the land that the campus sits on is not the premise of the institution. The premise does not start until you enter a building owned and operated by the university.

Correct. The changes to 46.035 (a-1)(2), however, don't use the word "premises" like the changes to (1) do.

They maybe wrong. But what they did, is define what the premise of the university is.

Yes, and mis-understand that the law applies to more than just the premises.

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    Oh I'm sorry. I'm not trying to argue. But I appreciate the information. Good thing I never tried anything.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Oh I'm sorry. I'm not trying to argue. But I appreciate the information. Good thing I never tried anything.

I don't take it as argumentative AT ALL! I imagine a LOT of folks will be confused, and that will lead to some interesting interactions. One of the worst things the leg did was push back OC to Jan 1 and then push back CC to late 2016.

LOTS of confusion will abound.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If it's a state school, the property is owned by the state not the school.
    It might be owned by the state, but it's not really considered public property. If any administrator or professor of a university asks you to leave, you have to go or you will be charged with trespassing.

x12aesq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    On US 77 kind of north of I-10
    Well, shoot! (so to speak)

I was hoping the prof was for real, but seems maybe not so.

I thought I might be able to chip in a little.

I am an attorney, a CHL holder, retired military and former college and graduate level instructor. I've even written the occasional syllabus. During my time in the Army, you nice people paid your taxes to pay for a crap load of .45 that I sent down range in your honor, so I even know a bit about firearms and firearms safety. We won't discuss that blown-up spotting scope with the conspicuous .45 hole through it.

Were I to address this in a syllabus, and I'll admit I'm of two minds here, the most I would say is something like this: "Given the current environment and the varied student backgrounds, I want to remind CHL holders who carry here of the importance of the "C" part - "Concealed". If you have a CHL and wish to do so, you can tell me privately, so if you inadvertently reveal your weapon, I will know in advance you are licensed and that I have no reason for concern. If you are a student and see another student inadvertently showing a weapon, I would ask that you tell me quietly and privately, and let me determine how to proceed."

That's not without its own problems, but leaving the topic unaddressed also has problems. It's at least a thought.

It's also likely irrelevant.

As an aside, I have enjoyed this thread more than many; I thought almost all of the responses were civil and addressed to the point. For what that's worth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom