• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    It all cane about because a friend offered me a complete rcbs reloader new in box for $300 as we negotiated for a few guns... That prompted the whole thought of checking the prices fr all the components. The killer was the dies though. For the price of the dies I can get a Lee loader kit in 9mm and reload until my arms fall off and it will still be ready for more.

....plus it might give my lazy ass some exercise!

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    My only concern was someone not knowing a license was required if you are reloading for someone and accepting money for it and posting it on the internet. I don't think this is known by everyone.

That being said, if I knew someone had been reloading for a long time and knew their work I would have no issues shooting their reloads.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You need a license and great liability insurance. If you are even a tenth off can mean you may be $#@!ed. :/
    Kind of dangerous.

Nah,

Since Im human, what things have I done?

Squib load, 9mm. Missed powder. Bullet jammed in the barrel. So? Who cares????

I poked it out with a rod, kept shooting. If i had shot another round, So? They sell barrels.

Shot a 9mm out a 40cal Glock. Reload correct mag, shoot.

Cut down 6" dia trees with a 12ga. Muzzle flat on the trunk. So? My record is three shells total. Tree on ground.

Reloading is one of the safer events of shooting.

"Sent from a jail"

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I agree. I may just continue to say my empties and eventually talk myself into the Lee loaders for 9, 40, and 45

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The lee loader kit only comes with a scoop, right?

There will be no such thing as fine tuning loads, and load work up will not really exist.

It may also limit your powder choices.

Many people safely reload with the scoops, some are pretty fond of them. I like the ability to fine tune.

I would also still recommend a scale. The loads should always be weighed because the CC to weight estimates aren't all that accurate.

If you can scoop powder getting consistent "drops", then it may not be an issue.

For the price of a lee single stage press kit with dies, I can't think of a reason to bother with the hammer.

JMHO.

Still haven't retread the whole thread. I will though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Reloading is a safe and relaxing hobby. It does require care and saftey. Like most things in life. As for being dangerous? Not really. You really have to screw up BAD. And if its that bad, I doubt the round will even chamber.

"Sent from a jail"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    IMO, the most common issues in reloaded ammo are squibs and double charges.

Both are caused by negligence on the reloaders part and completely avoidable.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Read the thread now. Couple of things.

1. Forget looking for "good" bullets for the range. Just some plated 115gr will work just as well. Really, you won't know the difference.

2. If you don't think you will have much time to reload, getting the slowest possible system for reloading seems pretty counter productive.

3. Have you thought about how you will clean your brass? Do you already have a scale or any other necessities?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Many hand loaders will not let anyone else shoot their loads and won't shoot anyone else's loads. I've been reloading for 15 yrs. or so and the fellow I learned from had been reloading for 15+ years before he taught me. Neither of us shoot the other's hand loads.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Nothing acquired so far. I have not thought about cleaning brass yet... Minor set back. I did hear of a guy dropping 1000+ empties in his clothes washer at one point though (or was it the dish washer??) .... Too bad my wife would literally murder me either way though.... ;-)

I did look online though and found a good Lee kit for 189$. Looks like it has everything except a tumbler.

Maybe I'll keep stockpiling brass and slowly start to phase some primers and bullets into my mix. After I get a supply I'll buy a few sets of dies. After that I'll invest in the press and then go from there

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To the cleaning.

A 5 gallon bucket, detergent, water. Skake, swish, jossle, rinse well, dry.

May not be pretty, but should do fine for your purposes.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Nothing acquired so far. I have not thought about cleaning brass yet... Minor set back. I did hear of a guy dropping 1000+ empties in his clothes washer at one point though (or was it the dish washer??) .... Too bad my wife would literally murder me either way though.... ;-)

I did look online though and found a good Lee kit for 189$. Looks like it has everything except a tumbler.

Maybe I'll keep stockpiling brass and slowly start to phase some primers and bullets into my mix. After I get a supply I'll buy a few sets of dies. After that I'll invest in the press and then go from there
    Tumbling brass to make 'em shiney is waaay over-rated. I clean mine in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner in six minutes or less (with no noise!). It cleans the inside, outside, and the primer pocket. They are not shiney, but then again, you can't see them while in the box and the instant you pull the trigger again, they are dirty again!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have the lee loader, it works. That is all. Very slow. If money is an issue, get a single stage press, scale, and powder measure. Brass cleaning. Citric acid works well. 3 tbls in hot water, soak a couple hours, stir occasionally. 5 minute setup with quick change collets for one caliber.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Top Bottom