• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I had a federal license to make ammo, as long as it wasnt for "destructive devices" back
    in 1975-82. I had it because we were selling the original Automag pistols, and NOBODY
    made ammo for them, at that time. ;) Kinda hard to sell a high dollar semiauto pistol
    if there is no ammunition for them! ATF will come out and inspect your premises, just
    to make sure of what you are doing. Nowdays, you will have to have a storefront address
    they tell me, or you not gonna get the license. I talked to ATF bout a year ago, and thats
    the info they gave me then. The guy I talked to at ATF was one rude bastid! If you are
    gonna make ammo for sale, you DO have to have a Federal license!
    DK Firearms

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I have been saving brass off and on over the years with plans to get into reloading. I have recently started again and the other day figured I had enough to make it worth an investment. I've looked into reloaders and can't afford the TIME for it right now (new baby girl + 3 other daughters = busy daddy...).

Anyone have any recommendation?

What caliber(s)? You can come down to the shop and load them if I've got a press setup for it. If you don't have components, you can buy them from me at cost. Save you the shipping costs of sending them to Nebraska and you'll be able to trust your work. Thousand rounds isn't much more than an hour on a 1050, two if you are slow. less than 20m on the Camdex or Ammoload.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Damn. I have about 500 9mm, 100 40, 50 45, 50 270. 30-40 7mm rem mag. 10-15 257 Roberts. 7-8 30-40 Krag.

Honestly the Krag and roberts I don't really need and you could have them I will also likely have much more before I'd be able to make it down.

Where are you located?

If I brought primers and bullets could I buy the powder from you and buy you a case of beer to rent your machines??

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Rp, I'm loading and processing 9 right now on the ammoload, and I can swap the 100 over for the 40 and 45 since the quantity is so low. 7mm mag, no issue, but I don't have dies for the other ones. We are down in Buda, about 5m from cabelas.

My cost for primers and bullets will beat yours most likely, no need to pay more at retail.

Pm me we can workout the details

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Lol, see?

Now youre gonna be hooked.

Take a tube ride while your down that way. Make it a reload/tubbing trip.

"Sent from a jail"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    ...I have no desire to float down the Guadalupe while 1000 people drink too much beer without a bathroom in sight.....

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Haha! When I moved here in 2010 one of the first people I met said not to do it. He said his friend got VD after falling in the rivel while tubing and nearly drowning. True or not, I don't care. Its enough for me not to go... But I'm in north east San Antonio kinda. There's a driving range 10 minutes from me that serves beer and 2 shooting ranges 30 minutes away. Too bad 90% of people couldn't be trusted to drink while shooting :-/

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, VD from a tubing trip.

That's like getting pregnant in a hot tub or crabs from a toilet seat.

Probably easier to tell his girlfriend though.

Last edited:

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    :) Rp, the Automag's I was referring to, were the original Harry Sanford-Max Gera designed
    recoil operated pistols. The first one's were in .44 Automag, soon after, .357 Automag, which
    was simply the .44 case run into .357 Automag die and necked down. To make these fine
    pistols operate as a SEMI-AUTO, the pressures required were probably in the mid 65 thousand
    psi range. Speer came out with some loads in one of their later manuals which were a joke! If
    you used those, you had a high dollar single shot pistol.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I've got a couple 44 automags that I have retired. Actually one is unfired.

I had 357 AM, but sold it to my brother when I was out of work.

They are fun to shoot and ammo is... a challenge to make if you don't have the brass. Then you cut down and ream out 308 brass and fire form.

Yeah that 357 round went 2000 fps or so. Most indoor ranges would not let me shoot it. They said it would go through the backstop. So I had to talk them into letting me use the rifle lane.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ah, Im familiar with those automags... I wish I had those rounds for my cartridge collection....

I have about 70-75 different cartridges in a collection I have had going for a few years. Just kinda something I fell into after a friend couldn't figure out the caliber of one of his rifles so we started trying my cartridges to see what would fit and what bullets would fit in the bore through the muzzle. Before I realized it I had pulled out 16 different cartridges and just stuck with it. I've got a couple cool ones in there too! Maybe I need to make a thread to see if I can get some fellow gunners to donate a few single rounds for me.

Any chance either of you two still have either of the automag cartridges??

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    ^^^
    I gave all of mine to my brother in CA when I retired mine.

He's in the hospital now dealing with some serious juju.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I haven't resorted to buying them online yet, though I did buy a 25-25 sharps and a 41 rimfire at a show once. Everything else I have acquired in trades if guns/ammo/'sessories by just asking people if they have any odd calibers and could part with a single round. Most people are more than happy to help out.

I just recently got 1 round of .42berdain. Never even heard of those before until this guy gave me one.

Top Bottom