• Status
    Not open for further replies.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You don't have to delete them, but 90% of the time it's just another post on one of the 5 million glock vs 1911 or 9mm vs .45 threads, or it's some random article/video only tangentially related to the original topic
    <>

I’ve learned a bit of interesting stuff from those discussions. Although I’m what I’d consider ‘’extremely experienced’’ w/ 1911’s, it was decades back and I still have lot to learn.

And, despite owning a bunch of GLOCKS, I really don’t know that much about them. Kinda like the usual chick with a car or truck.

So, I enjoy those detailed & spirited exchanges even if I rarely participate in them.

We all have different levels of experience, knowledge, & interest. . . . . .

leVieux

<>

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    I am personally for the longer time requirement (3 or more months would be my suggestion) or pay for the privilege. One sale on here would cover the "supporter" level compared to using gunbroker, and multiple would make a "lifetime supporter" membership better than gunbroker. I have never been a fan of the number of post rule (as someone who doesn't post a lot), as it was way to easy to pass quickly and usually entails tons of necroposting and 1 word posts.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I don't know how "do-able" it would be, but I agree with No2Gates and TNHawk - a time limit plus a minmum number. Otherwise a bunch of these dweebs would just sign up, do nothing for a month or so, then make their first post a sale ad as ZX9RCAM pointed out.

Maybe 30 days and 50 posts? Maybe it'll cut down on the necropost speedruns...maybe it won't. But it'll at least be enough of an inconvenience to weed some of these guys out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It would be interesting to do an analysis of member v time to 25 analysis, but this too does nothing regarding “quality” of posts. In some respects, all that’s being discussed in a variant of social credit scoring. I’ve actually talked to an ML architect on ways to solve this problem and he was the guy that pointed it out, although he liked the concept of using ML to understand what a quality member would be and then scaling it so 100 one word replies *might be* equivalent to, say, 5 benenglish level posts. We talked at length about member tenure and post count in the keep one drop one thread as a litmus test, since there’s a lot of long tenure, high post count members in that thread, but realized a bot could run through there and get ‘quality’ status relatively quickly depending on the weight the language model placed on that thread. It was an interesting series of conversations for sure.

If the intent behind 25 post or $10 is to provide some level of protection for members, the question is whether we need that or not.

If the intent is to provide *just enough* friction to limit fraud/scam/abuse for the site owners, then our feels don’t matter much, even if it’s annoying to see a glory run. One thing the ML guy talked about was a different concept; delay post responses base on tenure/post count/length of post. Kind of an elegant concept to ‘punish’ glory run posters. There just isn’t enough business opportunities to develop a payware plugin for XF or other forum programs to make up for the cost of developing it though.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    1701056130196.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There sure are a lot of you guy's that whine and bitch about people that post crap for sale.
    I personally don't care if they have 10 post or 10k post. If they aren't selling anything that I want, I never look at the add to begin with.

It's not about the stuff for sale. Not one of us has "whined and bitched" about the presence of sale ads or people selling their stuff in the classifieds.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Another view point. I understand why the frustration of the multiple quick one word posts just to build posts to sell something. For us younger members the necro posts sometimes give us insight that you older members have already seen. Not being able to spend lots of time on here there is so much info I will never see. 30 days only one post counts per day or pay the $10 for yearly if you just have to sell something that quick?

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I have an idea, but I must first ask a dumb question:

Each of our profiles has an awards amount, e.g.:

IMG_5247.jpeg

Doesn’t this awards amount somehow rate the quality of a member’s involvement here?

Maybe it would make sense to only give classifieds privileges to a member once they attain a specific awards value?

If so, seems this would be easy to implement and would not require a lot of ongoing effort by the mods…. And it would require a new member to put in real quality effort toward actually being a contributing member to our forum.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just get rid of the post count rule. New members trying to ram through cause a lot of complaints that are more annoying than the necro posts.

Just put a price on running ads. $1, $5, whatever.

If your ad doesn't follow the rules it gets deleted and you have to pay again. Location/ price/ etc.

If you have been a member for over (some timeframe/ 1 year or whatever) you get $0.01 per post count credit just so longstanding members still have free access.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I have an idea, but I must first ask a dumb question:

Each of our profiles has an awards amount, e.g.:

View attachment 417637

Doesn’t this awards amount somehow rate the quality of a member’s involvement here?

Maybe it would make sense to only give classifieds privileges to a member once they attain a specific awards value?

If so, seems this would be easy to implement and would not require a lot of ongoing effort by the mods…. And it would require a new member to put in real quality effort toward actually being a contributing member to our forum.
    Good catch. The "Awards" number is directly related to the number and quality of posts...and might be a tool to implement this if that type of idea is chosen.

IF doing that ^^ is not possible because of program/software config, my suggestion would be to
    1. Drop the post count requirement
    2. Charge $25 to place each ad - fee waived for Members
    3. Increase the TGT Supporter membership fee to $25.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom