Toes.jpeg

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Another forum that I frequent has a rule that you must make X number of "meaningful" posts before having access to the Classified section of the forum. This, or subscribe as a supporting member. A supporting member has immediate access to the Classified area.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Another forum that I frequent has a rule that you must make X number of "meaningful" posts before having access to the Classified section of the forum. This, or subscribe as a supporting member. A supporting member has immediate access to the Classified area.

That’s effectively the same scheme used here.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I have an idea, but I must first ask a dumb question:

Each of our profiles has an awards amount, e.g.:

View attachment 417637

Doesn’t this awards amount somehow rate the quality of a member’s involvement here?

Maybe it would make sense to only give classifieds privileges to a member once they attain a specific awards value?

If so, seems this would be easy to implement and would not require a lot of ongoing effort by the mods…. And it would require a new member to put in real quality effort toward actually being a contributing member to our forum.

Nah....the Awards count are for the number of Moonpie/Glock comments made.....

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Oh, look! I found a new thread! ;)

One thing that might help is hitting the report button when someone starts making a run to 25. I'm frequently unaware of these cases until I see lots of folks discussing it in an established thread. Why? Because we all read TGT in different ways, e.g. I rarely look at the "New Posts" page.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Oh, look! I found a new thread! ;)

One thing that might help is hitting the report button when someone starts making a run to 25. I'm frequently unaware of these cases until I see lots of folks discussing it in an established thread. Why? Because we all read TGT in different ways, e.g. I rarely look at the "New Posts" page.
    Curious - is there a Mod on 24/7 that could try and stop the run? Seems they occur late or overnight. Or is the reporting suggestion an after the fact kind of handling..in which case all the crap posts would still be there... Either way, you'd be jumpin on the twink for following the rules.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    What if we just send a mod to the offender's house with a rolled-up newspaper to bap them across the nose and shout "BAD!" a few times?

I'll remember the "report" option - it frankly never occurs to me unless there's something that's really an egregious violation of the rules.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Curious - is there a Mod on 24/7 that could try and stop the run? Seems they occur late or overnight. Or is the reporting suggestion an after the fact kind of handling..in which case all the crap posts would still be there... Either way, you'd be jumpin on the twink for following the rules.
    No. However, my routine is always to say hello in the morning and then address reports. They are the first thing on my priority list. I get the impression other mods work in a similar fashion.

ETA - As for "jumpin on the twink," I don't swing that way. :)

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It's not about the stuff for sale. Not one of us has "whined and bitched" about the presence of sale ads or people selling their stuff in the classifieds.
    Really, I guess that's why threads like this one have been common place around here for a long time.
    Just how many one word post have you made since you joined up here?
    If the rules are 25 post before you can post in the classified section, and they post 25 times, then they played by the rules.

While I have always enjoyed being a member here, I have never posted much here. Mainly because I joined a Firearm's Forum, and there isn't much that goes on around here when it comes to Firearm's.
    There's nothing wrong with that, but I just never got into posting about stuff I really don't care about. Probably the reason I haven't hit 1k post in over 15 years here!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I joined a Firearm's Forum, and there isn't much that goes on around here when it comes to Firearm's.
    I can see how you get that impression but it's not really true. There's a bunch of firearms content but it's often in short threads where a question is asked, then answered, and then the thread fades away.

By contrast, we have a few off topic threads, usually about politics, that are very active and stay at the top of your feed.

I think people get the wrong impression. That's why I often ask people to use the search function to find the specific firearms content they want to see.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Can the limit be 10 new threads? Can there be a minimum word count on threads? How about just putting the classified behind a $1 paywall? Even $1 per listing with zero post requirements. Its a minimal cost that I think the majority of current active users could absorb well enough (we're talking 1/3 of 1% on a $300 gun, even smaller fraction on something else.

The one liners are annoying. The necrothreads are usually annoying. There must be a solution that doesn't over burden the mods, while minimizing the nonsense and retaining good new members.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Really, I guess that's why threads like this one have been common place around here for a long time.
    Just how many one word post have you made since you joined up here?
    If the rules are 25 post before you can post in the classified section, and they post 25 times, then they played by the rules.

Doing the absolute bare minimum to meet the requirement is "playing by the rules", sure, but also shows a disregard for the reason those rules exist - so the ads here are by members in good standing who are known, not some random yahoo off the internet who may or may not even have the items he's claiming to sell. I guess you'd be happy going to a doctor who did the bare minimum to get his medical license, or flying with a pilot who squeaked by on a technicality getting his license...sure that's a bit of hyperbole, but when has anything ever been improved when someone did the absolute minimum needed to get by?

While I have always enjoyed being a member here, I have never posted much here. Mainly because I joined a Firearm's Forum, and there isn't much that goes on around here when it comes to Firearm's.
    There's nothing wrong with that, but I just never got into posting about stuff I really don't care about. Probably the reason I haven't hit 1k post in over 15 years here!

Yeah, it's not as if there aren't at least 23 separate forums on this site dealing with specific topics about firearms, plus an extensive classified ad section that the rules you dismiss were put in place to try to keep honest. If only we had that...

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    No. However, my routine is always to say hello in the morning and then address reports. They are the first thing on my priority list. I get the impression other mods work in a similar fashion.

ETA - As for "jumpin on the twink," I don't swing that way. :)
    LOL ok re twink jumper.

So...clicking Report on one of the posts doesn't really change or do anything other than give you information. Right? So...if 3 of us are here watching, and we each click on each of it's posts, you might say more than hello to us in the morning if you're greeted with a possible 75 or more reports. :laughing:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom