Not open for further replies.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Or………

Just let us post in their classified ad in a manner that is wholly appropriate for someone who comes and does the equivalent of…

Got it. Let’s say some of y’all older boomers are having some kind of 70s party. Like a fondue party, yeah, this will work.

Y’all are having a fondue party complete with bell bottom jeans and someone hears about this party and shows up. No big deal, older boomers are kind of hippie-like and as long as you are cool, new folks are welcome.

Well, this new guy walks over to your completely groovy fondue fountain, removes his pants and dunks his schlong in your fondue fountain and screams at the top of his lungs “ LEEEEEEROY MUTHAFUCKIN’ JENKINS!!!! While helicoptering and splashing fondue ( now dick cheese) all over your tastefully wood paneled living room and all party goers.

The one line to 25 FNGs are the fondue helicopter guys.

Let folks shitpost in their ad. It is the right thing to do.

Yeah...but, do we really want all the ladies jealous of a fondue pot?....

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Upping the supporter fee to post in the classifieds immediately will help, but I think the amount is reasonable now. Many of us are dedicated to TGT, so WE don't think its unreasonable to pay a larger fee. We need to focus on what the SELLER thinks is (un)reasonable. I still go back to the one classified post requirement that we do not offer that others do.

Let's take a look at this undesireable seller. They stumble on our forum and decide they want to join because it is big, active, and they can reach a lot of folks to sell their wares. What will deter a person who does not want to invest in this community, but only quickly sell their items? It's TIME. Having a waiting period (as other forums do) will deter those who want to quickly sell NOW. That is why they are posting 25 crap posts in a single night...they want to advertise NOW and sell NOW. You won't weed them all out, but it should be an improvement over the current system.

This will not stop an existing member who joined over x months ago, but if the post limit is in effect, hopefully they did get in 25 good posts in that time and will continue that habit. If not, then at least they made a contribution (hopefully meaningful). I don't think someone is going to post 25 crap posts in a night and then come back after x months to start posting their ads. They will have forgotten about TGT or sold elsewhere.

1 months could work here, 2 is better, but 3 months should be most effective.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Well, this new guy walks over to your completely groovy fondue fountain, removes his pants and dunks his schlong in your fondue fountain and screams at the top of his lungs “ LEEEEEEROY MUTHAFUCKIN’ JENKINS!!!! While helicoptering and splashing fondue ( now dick cheese) all over your tastefully wood paneled living room and all party goers.
    I’d tip a dollar for that. Then laugh my ass of at the jackhole with 3* burns on his dick.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I know of a few members that have been around for years with thousands of posts but still wouldn't qualify technically because of the "25 quality posts" terminology.

Sir I don't need to be called out like that.

I do like the time + money idea. 30 days and the initial entry fee would weed out scammers.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I always kinda wondered why most forums don't allow discussion on ads.

I think it'd be a public service if someone let a seller know that their hi point isn't worth $950 without trying to sugar coat it

or let us link NEW guns at the same price or lower in the ad. Ive never held onto anything more than 10 days on here. Price to sell.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    @benenglish 's recent post elsewhere gave me an idea -

Lose the post count thing entirely.
    Increase the annual TGT Supporter to $20.
    Change Rule #1 in the Classified forum to read this:

1) Texas Gun Talk is a discussion forum, and the Classified section is a secondary function for established members to occasionally move some merchandise between friends. To participate in the classifieds forum you must have been an active member for a minimum of one month, or upgrade your Membership to a Site Supporter. This rule was added to weed out scammers and gives TGT members a chance to get a feel for you as a board member before they decide whether or not to buy/sell/trade with you.

IF the forum software can accommodate the join date requirement... here's why I think it would work:

1) Existing members (longer than one month and regardless of Supporter status) are not affected in any manner.

2) When a new person joins only to sell something, they'll have to decide if they want to pay $20 for the privilege. Other than time spent on the forum there would be no other work around, and the race to 25 would not occur.

There's also this aspect:

3) Because TGT wants listing offers/etc to be in PMs, rather than in the classified thread itself, lose the count requirements for PMs. If the new member upgrades to Supporter, that requirement is gone anyway.

I dont know how big the (non-classified) PM scam problem is; I've never been hit with it. But it seems to me there are other ways to avert PM scams. Scammers can be easily blocked, ignored, and reported. Upping the Supporter fee would discourage someone from forking out $20 just to PM scam, only to be easily booted and quickly.

All thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom