APOD Firearms

Car/SUV battery, what to buy . . what to avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Yes, they're one who buys battereies and slaps their own label on them. Most of the ones I've encountered were East Penn / Deka batteries with the WSO label on them.
    Thanks; I think you said East Penn was good, but I'm not sure what you said about Deka. The shop I use says they've had good luck with WSO.
    My car is in for other things, but it may need a battery too.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Am I the only one who proactively replaces batteries at the 4 year mark?

I’d rather replace it when convenient for me.
    Because when they fail on their own, it’s at the worst possible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The battery in every new vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years seems to go near the 4 year mark. I replace them with a duracell from Sams as they approach the 4 yr time. It's better than having one fail at an unexpected time.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Thanks; I think you said East Penn was good, but I'm not sure what you said about Deka. The shop I use says they've had good luck with WSO.
    My car is in for other things, but it may need a battery too.

Deka is the brand East Penn uses for themselves. East Penn is the actual manufacturer, and they sell them under their own Deka brand, besides relabeling for others.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've tried many of them. I buy Interstate now because the owner runs the company a lot like Hobby Lobby and Chic Fil A. That's something the liberals tend to hate (putting religion first).

I figure with all the money I'm saving not giving a penny to Nike, I can afford the slightly higher price for the Interstate if the company pisses them off.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I got the walmart 60 dollar batteries in both mine and they have lasted years now.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    The battery in every new vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years seems to go near the 4 year mark. I replace them with a duracell from Sams as they approach the 4 yr time. It's better than having one fail at an unexpected time.
    I don't think anyone ever expects the battery to fail. I don't worry about it because it's easy to jump off and cheap and easy to replace. People who aren't able to do it have more issues with car repairs though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Am I the only one who proactively replaces batteries at the 4 year mark?

I’d rather replace it when convenient for me.
    Because when they fail on their own, it’s at the worst possible time.

Normally, I can detect when one is starting to go bad. So I don't wait until it is completely dead. But I don't change based on the calendar.

Did have one die without warning, but that was the only one I can think of.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    40 years ago, Firestone offered a lifetime guarantee battery. Only good for the original vehicle in which it was installed. They figured most people don't keep cars very long and of those that do, most won't be able to find the paperwork.

I keep paperwork. And I drive cars for many years. Can't remember how many batteries they had to replace before I finally sold that car. :roflsmile:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    40 years ago, Firestone offered a lifetime guarantee battery. Only good for the original vehicle in which it was installed. They figured most people don't keep cars very long and of those that do, most won't be able to find the paperwork.

I keep paperwork. And I drive cars for many years. Can't remember how many batteries they had to replace before I finally sold that car. :roflsmile:

I used to get lifetime alignments from Firestone…same dealio

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Mom bought a new Buick in 2000 when she retired. The original battery lasted 13 years. The second ( Ever Ready ) lasted 7 years. I put the third battery in it when demintia forced her to quit driving. In 20 years she had only 39,000 miles on the Buick. I had convinced my BIL to go by and drive the car around the block once a week for the last few years and my Mom had loaned it out to my Sisters kids when they needed a car.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One brand of battery I avoid because I have experienced and seen way too many failures over the years, are the ones bought at WalMart.

How many? Ran out of fingers and toes years ago to keep count!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Bought one battery from Walmart, but that was about 21 years ago. It failed during the warranty period. But I had lost the receipt and they wouldn't honor the prorated warranty without it. Lesson learned. Hopefully by now they have computerized records of the sale, but that one experience turned me off Walmart batteries.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Bought one battery from Walmart, but that was about 21 years ago. It failed during the warranty period. But I had lost the receipt and they wouldn't honor the prorated warranty without it. Lesson learned. Hopefully by now they have computerized records of the sale, but that one experience turned me off Walmart batteries.
    Why would that turn you off of them? You lost the receipt. I lost mine too but was just lucky.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Because the battery was their brand and had the date of manufacture on it. The battery tested bad. Why did they need proof that I bought it from them and that it was still in warranty? Just seemed unreasonable to me.
    That makes sense too.

Top Bottom