• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Did you ever get to try elk in chili? Next to lamb, elk meat is my favorite red meat. Rather hard to come by here in Texas.
    Not at all. You can hunt elk tear round in Texas and there are big herds of free ranging elk all over west Texas. Ain’t cheap, but then they’re not particularly cheap to hunt anywhere else either.
    DK Firearms

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Back around the mid 80s I had moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to attend Marquette University for a couple of years. While walking around the neighborhood late one night on a beer run, I found a place called "Real Chili," so decided to try it. I went in, sat down, ordered a bowl of chili. Waiter asked me if I wanted oyster crackers or noodles. I was sure I had not heard right, so I asked for just a bowl of chili. He said it comes with one or the other, so I asked for oyster crackers on the side. He goes in back and comes out with a small bowl of oyster crackers and a bigger bowl of what they call chili. It was the nastiest crap I have ever seen. It looked like somebody's dog already ate it and puked it back up. Whatever it was, it was kind of light brown/yellow with lots of grainy stuff in it. There was nothing like chili flavor, no tomato, no beef that I could see, no onion. I had 2 bites just to make sure it was really that bad, then walked out and never went near that craphole again.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I usually now make chili without beans,and make homemade slow-cooked pinto beans seperately, simply because I make such a large amount of chili that quite a lot end up going into the freezer to eat at a later date. Without beans it can be also used for hot dogs, burritos, tater tots Frito pie or just about anything.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yes, for your coming out.
    You sure about that son? Your original post was in the same flavor as a lgbtq rally speech in its tenor and pitch, I was simply asking a question ( in jest I may add) but your response would seem to indicate a level of butthurt that someone deep in the closet would show.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Not at all. You can hunt elk tear round in Texas and there are big herds of free ranging elk all over west Texas. Ain’t cheap, but then they’re not particularly cheap to hunt anywhere else either.

Didn't know that!

Elk hunting wasn't super expensive (anymore expensive than deer hunting anyway) as a resident in the PNW - but the inexpensive DIY just head into the woods yourself hunts usually found you competing with 20,000 of your best friends all hunting for the same handful of animals dumb enough or unlucky enough to be out & about during the daylight in the public lands, or the private lands open to the public hunters.

Usually when we got elk meat, it actually came from my aunt & uncle's place in Washington. They owned land along the North Nemah River near South Bend, Washington. They had 10 or 15 acres (I forget which) right on the river, they had an apple orchard and a garden right out back of their house, and usually my aunt would bag her elk on her back porch (right off the kitchen) in her nightgown, as they'd come in to eat the apples. She'd be cooking breakfast while my uncle was sent out to dress the thing out.

It was a damn shame we had a big falling out with them when I was a teen - their place was literally paradise. They could target shoot (no minimum land restrictions + their property backed up to national forest and timber company lands), hunt deer & elk, and you could fish for trout, salmon, or steelhead.

My first salmon came from a trip to their place.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    F
    I usually now make chili without beans,and make homemade slow-cooked pinto beans seperately, simply because I make such a large amount of chili that quite a lot end up going into the freezer to eat at a later date. Without beans it can be also used for hot dogs, burritos, tater tots Frito pie or just about anything.
    Frito Pie, with queso blanco melted on top. Third favorite lunch, right after fried Spam and cheese, fried Bolonga, and cheese.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Didn't know that!

Elk hunting wasn't super expensive (anymore expensive than deer hunting anyway) as a resident in the PNW - but the inexpensive DIY just head into the woods yourself hunts usually found you competing with 20,000 of your best friends all hunting for the same handful of animals dumb enough or unlucky enough to be out & about during the daylight in the public lands, or the private lands open to the public hunters.

Usually when we got elk meat, it actually came from my aunt & uncle's place in Washington. They owned land along the North Nemah River near South Bend, Washington. They had 10 or 15 acres (I forget which) right on the river, they had an apple orchard and a garden right out back of their house, and usually my aunt would bag her elk on her back porch (right off the kitchen) in her nightgown, as they'd come in to eat the apples. She'd be cooking breakfast while my uncle was sent out to dress the thing out.

It was a damn shame we had a big falling out with them when I was a teen - their place was literally paradise. They could target shoot (no minimum land restrictions + their property backed up to national forest and timber company lands), hunt deer & elk, and you could fish for trout, salmon, or steelhead.

My first salmon came from a trip to their place.
    Yep, elk are an invasive species to Texas

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Same dickless Nu Yawkers who will order extra moist brisket and instruct the cutter to “trim the fat off”.

This happened at Southside BBQ in Bastrop. There were 5 or six other yankee dickweeds in front of me in line. I walked out without ordering.
    You poor soul! Back when Randall's was really Randall's we sold Boars Head Provisions. The early 80's Houston was booming & they would welcome anyone who wanted to work. My young ass became became an apprentice meat cutter & that meant I had to wait on the folks wanting deli including Boars Head.

The area of Houston I worked had a lot of New Yorkers & and a lot of Jews(seen my first concentration camp tattoos on wrist of many people back then) I got so tired of hearing is the pastarmi/corned beef lean & thinI want it thinner sliced. Fact is they wanted the shit shaved thinking it went farther.

I learned about eating in New York Delis back then also. Places like Gugginheim's on South Post Oak and Alfred's on Stella Link. I'd give up both my balls for a real Jewish deli sammich. After all I do with them now is peel them of my taint or side of my leg any more.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Venison has always been a great meat for making chili with.

Yessir.....

Ingredients.jpg
    8 lbs almost done.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yep, elk are an invasive species to Texas

You screw the pouch on this one native Texan son. Explain Ekhart, Texas? And then there is this

See, until Baboon's reply, I was in hopes that invasive for elk meant you could shoot all you want, like invasive hogs... but if they're natives, you probably can't go all Purge on them and come home with a 50' refer full of elk.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    For eight years in the eighties I was a judge in the Tx Medical Center Chili Ccokoff.

A high percentage was expelled faster than it made it in my mouth.
    Phucking horrible. Much was just bad.

Of course there were some really good ones but the most memorable and one of the very best had elk, bison, whitetail, muley, Barbary sheep, mouflon sheep, axis deer, and I forget what else.

Chili, Shiner, and laughing at Red Duke weren’t bad.

Last edited:

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    You poor soul! Back when Randall's was really Randall's we sold Boars Head Provisions. The early 80's Houston was booming & they would welcome anyone who wanted to work. My young ass became became an apprentice meat cutter & that meant I had to wait on the folks wanting deli including Boars Head.

The area of Houston I worked had a lot of New Yorkers & and a lot of Jews(seen my first concentration camp tattoos on wrist of many people back then) I got so tired of hearing is the pastarmi/corned beef lean & thinI want it thinner sliced. Fact is they wanted the shit shaved thinking it went farther.

I learned about eating in New York Delis back then also. Places like Gugginheim's on South Post Oak and Alfred's on Stella Link. I'd give up both my balls for a real Jewish deli sammich. After all I do with them now is peel them of my taint or side of my leg any more.

Wow. I damn sure laid eyes on you and probably spoke with you many times.

And I miss the hell out of Alfreds.

Small world...but I wouldn’t want to paint it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Words nothing but words! Like most critters Elk come in a few different varieties that had different ranges. And then their are the folk that call moose elk as well.

Chili with or without beans is about as stupid as you can't put ketchup on a hot dog. Last time I check I was still an American and was Free to eat what I want they way I want.

Aint no phucing bricks in brick chili!

If you come to my house chili might or might not have beens in it. If you start the rant I'll tell you bye. Just like steaks the wife & I like them seared outside & cool inside.

America is phuced just for this reason. We can't agree on phucing chili little lone politicians. We need to stop fighting over kunt ass bullsheit & fight our most common enemy.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I've seen the term Tex-Mex brought up a few times. When I first moved to Texas I made friends with a Mexican. I asked him what Tex-Mex was and asked where was the best place to find it. He said that Tex-Mex was just some Mexican dishes that had become Americanized. Once I had some real Mexican food, I understood.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Wow. I damn sure laid eyes on you and probably spoke with you many times.

And I miss the hell out of Alfreds.

Small world...but I wouldn’t want to paint it.
    If you shopped @ the Randall's on Holcombe & Buffalo Speedway I worked there about the longest of any store. Lived just inside the loop off Buffalo Speedway for 27 years

Then there was Alfred's kids deli in the village Kahn's Deli.

Last New York deli I at in in Houston was Kenny & Ziggy's on Post Oak. Never been in the 24 hour Kaehn's in Montrose or the Woodlands

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've seen the term Tex-Mex brought up a few times. When I first moved to Texas I made friends with a Mexican. I asked him what Tex-Mex was and asked where was the best place to find it. He said that Tex-Mex was just some Mexican dishes that had become Americanized. Once I had some real Mexican food, I understood.
    There is a difference between authentic Mexican dishes and Twx-Mex, but most people don't know the subtle variances between them. Honestly I'm not sure I really know them either.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    You sure about that son? Your original post was in the same flavor as a lgbtq rally speech in its tenor and pitch, I was simply asking a question ( in jest I may add) but your response would seem to indicate a level of butthurt that someone deep in the closet would show.
    Sonny boy, I was initially jesting also, but you had to take the left turn. Your apparently much more familiar with fag rally speech flavor than I am. I don’t attend those but to each his own.

Top Bottom