• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I know this thread is a little old and I'm late to the party, but I want to put in my thoughts.

What you said is correct, it is not REQUIRED.

That being said, it is the same with every situation with a police officer, or any situation really, don't put yourself in to a position to be in or cause trouble. It is common curtsey to put your CHL on top of your DL when being pulled over. The officer is going to find out any way when he runs your name, so why not just go ahead and let him know. It will make the process run smoother, and it will help him stay comfortable, instead of him thinking you are trying to hide it.

Now, there was a time I was riding with my father and we both had our pistols on us. His was tucked into his boot and mine was in the glove box. A state trooper pulled us over. Dad put his CHL on top of his DL as always. When the officer walked up and saw it, he asked my father if he was carrying. Dad said yes, and told him where it was. The officer immediately pulled his gun and ordered my dad to get out of the truck. His ride along then came running out of car and pulled his gun on me, not knowing what the problem was. Dad and I got out as asked. My father was pushed against the truck and his gun was thrown into the brush, we never did find it again. The officer that pulled me out of the truck then asked his partner what the issue was, in which he responded "He is carrying." "Well does he have a CHL?" "Yah." The officer let me go and pulled his partner off to the car. After a few minutes, the officer came back an apologized and told us to have a nice day. And just drove off like nothing had happened.

There are police out there that are quick to pull a gun when they don't understand what is going on, but the majority appreciate the curtsy. For them, pulling someone over is much more dangerous, than it is for us. So making them feel as comfortable as possible helps a lot.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I know this thread is a little old and I'm late to the party, but I want to put in my thoughts.

That being said, it is the same with every situation with a police officer, or any situation really, don't put yourself in to a position to be in or cause trouble. It is common curtsey to put your CHL on top of your DL when being pulled over. The officer is going to find out any way when he runs your name, so why not just go ahead and let him know. It will make the process run smoother, and it will help him stay comfortable, instead of him thinking you are trying to hide it.

Now, there was a time I was riding with my father and we both had our pistols on us. His was tucked into his boot and mine was in the glove box. A state trooper pulled us over. Dad put his CHL on top of his DL as always. When the officer walked up and saw it, he asked my father if he was carrying. Dad said yes, and told him where it was. The officer immediately pulled his gun and ordered my dad to get out of the truck. His ride along then came running out of car and pulled his gun on me, not knowing what the problem was. Dad and I got out as asked. My father was pushed against the truck and his gun was thrown into the brush, we never did find it again. The officer that pulled me out of the truck then asked his partner what the issue was, in which he responded "He is carrying." "Well does he have a CHL?" "Yah." The officer let me go and pulled his partner off to the car. After a few minutes, the officer came back an apologized and told us to have a nice day. And just drove off like nothing had happened.

There are police out there that are quick to pull a gun when they don't understand what is going on, but the majority appreciate the curtsy. For them, pulling someone over is much more dangerous, than it is for us. So making them feel as comfortable as possible helps a lot.

I never thought about curtsying for LEO but I guess if it makes them feel better and prevents me from being drop-kicked or shot..... :D

HadEmAll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    After 11 pages there's probably not much unsaid, but when I first started carrying with CHL in '96, it just became habit to present my CHL, and mention where I had it, before the conversation moved on.

It worked so well, and was such a non-issue with city police, county sheriff deputies, constables, and DPS that I've just maintained the habit despite law changes.

This includes times I've not been stopped, but asked for ID as a witness, etc.

Running back through my memories, I can come up with at least ten ncidents.

Never been asked to disarm, had it removed, or otherwise had it be a problem. Was once told to "leave it there".

Of course I haven't been belligerent, aggressive, combative, evasive, evading capture, or engaged in criminal activity at the time either.

Just my experience.

I did NOT present my CHL or mention my pistols to the US Border Patrol officer who lit me up recently in Big Bend National Park.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    wow I am glad I have only been pulled over 1 time in the 7 years I have been here with my chl and that was for no seat belt <I had just left the restaurant picking up a togo order for the shop and forgot it>
    I think being a better driver might take precedent over showing a CHL :)

After 11 pages there's probably not much unsaid, but when I first started carrying with CHL in '96, it just became habit to present my CHL, and mention where I had it, before the conversation moved on.

It worked so well, and was such a non-issue with city police, county sheriff deputies, constables, and DPS that I've just maintained the habit despite law changes.

This includes times I've not been stopped, but asked for ID as a witness, etc.

Running back through my memories, I can come up with at least ten ncidents.

Never been asked to disarm, had it removed, or otherwise had it be a problem. Was once told to "leave it there".

Of course I haven't been belligerent, aggressive, combative, evasive, evading capture, or engaged in criminal activity at the time either.

Just my experience.

I did NOT present my CHL or mention my pistols to the US Border Patrol officer who lit me up recently in Big Bend National Park.

McClintock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    You could tell him "my taxes pay your salary. You work for ME. Let me drive on about my business, or you're FIRED!"

Seriously, with or without the requirement to show your CHL or what have you, my respect for law enforcement is such that I will tell them immediately I have a loaded gun and where it is.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

Now that was foul period and you lost a weapon, i would have been hot as fish grease

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Any time I interact with a police officer for any reason, I show them my CHL.

Really? Any time? You're walking in the door of a restaurant and they're walking out, you say "Hello!" and hand them your CHL?

A police officer is directing traffic and you pull up, roll down the window and hand them your CHL?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Really? Any time? You're walking in the door of a restaurant and they're walking out, you say "Hello!" and hand them your CHL?

A police officer is directing traffic and you pull up, roll down the window and hand them your CHL?

LOL

I was going to ask the same...

CliffinDallas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Lakewood area of Dallas TX.

I should have said when I have business with a officer. Other wise I just tape it to the inside of my drivers side window. ;)

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I thought the Texas legislature amended the law to where yes you have to show your license "if" you are carrying BUT they took away the penalty fine. Essentially you cant go to jail or have to pay a fine. Cops have been getting their ass kicked in the media lately. Why not just go easy on them and show them your license.

Ron7624

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Texas
    I always hand them both. Knowing that when they run my dl that it will come back with chl info, I prefer to be non confrontational and up front at the onset. Laws are one thing, and common curtosey is another. I am not LEO, but am damn glad that others are. Their job is tough, I try to make it as easy as possible from my end.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I thought the Texas legislature amended the law to where yes you have to show your license "if" you are carrying BUT they took away the penalty fine. Essentially you cant go to jail or have to pay a fine. Cops have been getting their ass kicked in the media lately. Why not just go easy on them and show them your license.

I always hand them both. Knowing that when they run my dl that it will come back with chl info, I prefer to be non confrontational and up front at the onset. Laws are one thing, and common curtosey is another. I am not LEO, but am damn glad that others are. Their job is tough, I try to make it as easy as possible from my end.

Exactly, not required when not carrying, and no penalty although the requirement still stands; but why not make things easy and at least inform the officer that you have one and that you aren't carrying?!?

By the way, a good recommendation is not to use the word 'gun' during a traffic stop. If there is another officer present, and he/she hears that word; they may think it is the first officer notifying them that a weapon is present and then things get crazy. Simply state you are 'carrying' or something along those lines without saying 'gun.'

I had mine tattooed on. Renewals are a bitch.

Bwahahahahahaha! Good one!

Top Bottom