Concealed Draw (Without one in the Chamber and with on in the chamber)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I can't believe this thread is still going! Anyway, you guys are all suckers...I only carry loose rounds, and I load them in the chamber one by one. :P

Careful. You can ruin the extracter that way.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston

Aggggggggggghhhhh! Ya got me, pardner...

casualty-care-clip-image004.jpg

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    1.5 seconds = approximately 21' sprinted distance from a dead stop.

Another half second pushes that to around 30'. Assuming you are aware.

FYI: That's if the shooter is standing still too. That math doesn't add up when you are also back peddling or side stepping.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

FYI: As stated, that is true, but only if the shooter is standing still too. That math doesn't add up when you are also back peddling or side stepping.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Was that from full concealment?
    What were you using for a timer?

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

The video editing software when I made the video. I could see visually and hear audibly when she said go, and I go frame by frame and see how long it took from "Go" to cocked and pointed in the direction of threat.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    For what its worth, in my IWB Crossbreed holster I feel safe enough to carry my Glock with one in the chamber and do.

On a separate note, I find it someone uncomfortable. Maybe its because my first one was a Mr.Softy holster, but the Crossbreed restricts some movement when squatting or bending over (Or diggs into me rather) and it is some what...itchy, I guess is the best way to describe it. Other than that, it feels completely secure and safe to carry chambered.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Glad to hear it.

Sorry it took 7 pages for you to figure it out.

What are you implying? That people should make rash, uneducated decisions, not ask questions or test things out? Especially things that could cost you or someone else their life?

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Keep justifying why you're better than the rest of us with your draw, chamber and fire times. Only to actually listen to us and try our suggestions.

That is all.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Keep justifying why you're better than the rest of us with your draw, chamber and fire times. Only to actually listen to us and try our suggestions.

That is all.

you mine quoting me where I " justified why I was better than the rest of "you" with my draw, chamber and fire times."

Here are a few quotes that I ACTUALLY said.

DISCLAIMER: I speak as an inexperienced person forming opinions, I don't pretend to know anything for certain, I am not hear to preach I'm here discussion my opinions. I am completely open minded and take no definite stance on either method.

Here is one actually to YOU.

Oh please don't take my...."rebuttal"....for lack of a better word, in the context of an argument or debate. I don't want you to misinterpret this. I don't have a "stance" yet. At most, I'm playing devils advocate for the side I'm leaning towards, but I'm not sold either way. This is merely a discussion, I ask these questions and make the points I make, because I enjoy hearing your responses. Its makes me fully understand both sides and think clearer. I am not sold either way.

Early on page 3 I even said this...

No, you are misinterpreting it. I'm asking you guys all the questions I can possibly think of, and the reasons for them because I want to hear all of your rebuttals. Its how I truly learn both sides, it forces me to think of all the scenarios and pros and cons and by me asking I hope to hear yours. To be honest, most of what you guys have said, has me leaning more for one in the chamber but with a good holster. Thats why I asked for advice on a good IWB conceal holster for the Glock 23 that is safe for keeping one in the chamber.

Please don't misinterpret my questions and scenarios. I like to discuss things, and I learn by discussing in a debate fashion. Don't take it as an argument or that I've made up my mind on anything. Ive said numerous times I'm inexperienced, open minded and will make my final decision after going to my ECQC classes. I appreciate EVERYTHING you guys have said, so please keep it coming.

So what are you talking about? Where was I Justifying, bragging about draw times that claime I'm better than the rest of you?

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    The holster does make a world of difference. When you have spare time and money (spare money hahahaha) you should consider coming out with us and taking the Tactical Courses. It will really build confidence in how you carry your firearm and it's a lot of fun too....

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Carrying a CCW without a round in the chamber is like saying "I'll put my seat belt on when I see the semi run the red light". You never know when you are going to have to draw your weapon and use it if you have it on you it needs to be ready to go. There is nothing that says you will be on your feet when the attack comes you may be seated or attacked from behinde the idea of trying to make ready while the attack is taking place sounds like a good way to make a bad day worse.

Just my opinion

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    Carry with one in the chamber, carry in a good holster, practice trigger discipline. If you really want to explore how your techniques are working you need Force on Force training with resistant partners. Most people will find what they don't know what they don't know.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    P.S. While your draw is relatively fast as you said your self you act as you train. If you are training to aquire a proper sight picture/stance every single time before firing you are doing yourself a disservice. There is much more to being a capable shooter then just the draw. Learn the Tueller drill and practice it with someone even mildly athletic. When you get within 12ft and you are avoiding while delivering solid hits you are getting there. (I am not there yet myself)

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    He did take the advice and put it to use. That what I think this forum is all about, learning. I was a little freaked out about having a weapon on my side locked and loaded in the civilian world. It's hard to knock a guy for questioning it.

In the perfect world, you could unlock the safe, grab your firearm, open a box of ammo, load the magazine and defend yourself. The fact is, if you are lucky, you might get your firearm out the holster, fire a shot from retention and back up enough to get another off from a full stance, that's if you are lucky.

BTW, Gramps, you have to remember this guy don't know you or the rest of us from Adam. I can vouch for you and I have seen you in action...BMF with a pistola.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Out here in peaceful rural Texas I may legally carry in my vehicle concealed under something covering it or in the console, but also may carry on the body concealed legally (CHL) but danger from criminals is almost nil. In the larger Cities, carry either a 1911 or a Taurus semi-automatis "Cocked & Locked" where a thumb may unlock and 7 hollowpoints in the mag and one in the barrel, or the Taurus, 17 in the mag (9mm hollowpoints ) and one in the barrel are ready for the zombies intent on harming myself or family, or others. If I had my "druthers", I'd rather be left alone by criminals and let the State exterminate them rather than personally but I know how and would if absolutely called for.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you are in a true life and death situation you will likely not have the mental ability to remember to chamber a round- all of your focus will be on the life/death situation. Even if you do, your fine motor skills are going to go to shit as a result of an extremely likely adrenaline dump. Yeah, you can chamber a round in the comfort and security of your own home by yourself. Try doing it while someone is slashing you to ribbons, you get a different result, which bring me to my net point:

You may not be physically capable of chambering the round. Any number of factors in a deadly encounter can take a limb out of the fight. Broken bones, lacerations, punctures... whatever. You may have to go into a fight already disabled. For this reason it is advised by most to ditch the "Leave it unchambered" Hollywood nonsense. It is also recommended you learn how to operate you gun one handed, AND with your weak hand. Do you know the different ways to clear a jam with one hand? Like using the back of your shoe or belt to pull the slide back? If not, do so.

Your thinking on the subject is very good but a little misguided. I think your jujitsu training is helping you as much as hindering you. Helping you in that you are adept at analyzing a situation and easily being able to figure out how to get the most out it, but hindering in making several complicated moves seem like they are easy to master as long as you repeat them thousands of times. Yes, you can test your new moves out on buddies, but not on ones who actually want to hurt you. The dojo only goes so far. As much as I love martial arts, I'll be the first to admit from experience that the real world is not as kind as a sparring partner and those moves never work as well in a real fight (although they definitely give an advantage). And a street scuffle isn't nearly as mentally and physically difficult as a situation requiring deadly force.

Your analysis of adding steps is a little backwards. Adding a step here or there isn't a small deal. When seconds matter do you want more or less steps before that gun is in your hand?

Studies of gun fights have shown that oftentimes people do not revert to training, but to instinct. The odds are very good that in such a situation you mind and fine motor skills are just going to go to shit. Accept it and plan around it. With guns it's best just to follow the KISS principle. Keep it chambered. Your finger is the safety. Your gun will not go off by itself; it needs force moving against the trigger. Remember that and you will be fine (and it is a lot easier to remember than all of the chambering crap).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom