0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    An excellent read, probably behind paywall. PM me if you can't access but are interested.

The Bearer of Good Coronavirus News
    Stanford scientist John Ioannidis finds himself under attack for questioning the prevailing wisdom about lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bearer-of-good-coronavirus-news-11587746176

Dr. Ioannidis argued that Covid-19 is far less deadly than modelers were assuming. He considered the experience of the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which was quarantined Feb. 4 in Japan. Nine of 700 infected passengers and crew died. Based on the demographics of the ship’s population, Dr. Ioannidis estimated that the U.S. fatality rate could be as low as 0.025% to 0.625% and put the upper bound at 0.05% to 1%—comparable to that of seasonal flu.

A study published this week by the University of Southern California and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health estimated that the virus is 28 to 55 times as prevalent in that county as confirmed cases are. A New York study released Thursday estimated that 13.9% of the state and 21.2% of the city had been infected, more than 10 times the confirmed cases.

people under 65 without underlying conditions accounted for only 0.7% of coronavirus deaths in Italy and 1.8% in New York City.

Bottom line -
    1. Bias is affecting "science"
    2. Models have serious weaknesses in these situations, rendering them almost useless
    3. The number of infected is drastically unreported, making the mortality rate appear abnormally high
    4. This is no worse than the flu based on sound scientific study

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    An excellent read, probably behind paywall. PM me if you can't access but are interested.

Stanford scientist John Ioannidis finds himself under attack for questioning the prevailing wisdom about lockdowns.

Dr. Ioannidis argued that Covid-19 is far less deadly than modelers were assuming. He considered the experience of the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which was quarantined Feb. 4 in Japan. Nine of 700 infected passengers and crew died. Based on the demographics of the ship’s population, Dr. Ioannidis estimated that the U.S. fatality rate could be as low as 0.025% to 0.625% and put the upper bound at 0.05% to 1%—comparable to that of seasonal flu.

A study published this week by the University of Southern California and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health estimated that the virus is 28 to 55 times as prevalent in that county as confirmed cases are. A New York study released Thursday estimated that 13.9% of the state and 21.2% of the city had been infected, more than 10 times the confirmed cases.

people under 65 without underlying conditions accounted for only 0.7% of coronavirus deaths in Italy and 1.8% in New York City.

Bottom line -
    2. Models have serious weaknesses in these situations, rendering them almost useless
    3. The number of infected is drastically unreported, making the mortality rate appear abnormally high

Most excellent Oldag.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

Bottom line -

In bold.
    That's the only controlled and verified data we have.
    I read those numbers long ago. Posted them here somewhere.
    Been pissed off ever since.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

Bottom line -
    Great post!
    I'd go a bit further with #1: Bias has corrupted the data to the extent that it will be unusable in post-bullcrap analyses.
    And it was thinking about this that I had an epiphany at the garden today. Remember when the MSM was trying to claim that Trump said the virus is a "hoax"? He had said that the Dims USE of the virus to attack him was a hoax. It was the bombshell BEFORE they latched onto the "Trump said to inject bleach" BS they are still running with now.Well, it looks like it will turn out that if he HAD said it was a hoax, (wait for it)...
    Trump was RIGHT ONCE AGAIN!!!
    <rimshot>

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    From a single virus —

Some people have no symptoms,
    Some people have a fever, cough, shortness of breath.
    Some people have aches.
    Some people lose their sense of taste and smell.
    Some people have lesions on their feet.
    Probably another new symptom coming this week.

Is this all a new form of the parable about the blind men and the elephant?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    From a single virus —

Some people have aches.

Chit! That's the exact symptoms as gettin' old! :roflfunny:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    From a single virus —

Some people have aches.

I'm not sure about that, but you bring up an interesting point. Perhaps I've found the cure? I've heard of the handful of ailments that marijuana supposedly treats for years, and they've remained fairly consistant. (I don't have anything that marijuana supposedly treats, so I don't have a personal opinion on this, just the stories I've read for years)

But now CBD oil is legal, and that stuff seems like it treats more stuff than the snake oil of the old west. It seems like every time I see an ad for it, there's something else it cures or alleviates. Maybe they should try treating this beer flu with CBD oil.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm not sure about that, but you bring up an interesting point. Perhaps I've found the cure? I've heard of the handful of ailments that marijuana supposedly treats for years, and they've remained fairly consistant. (I don't have anything that marijuana supposedly treats, so I don't have a personal opinion on this, just the stories I've read for years)

But now CBD oil is legal, and that stuff seems like it treats more stuff than the snake oil of the old west. It seems like every time I see an ad for it, there's something else it cures or alleviates. Maybe they should try treating this beer flu with CBD oil.
    145A512F-E44F-4DF5-A4BE-DA4C844A5C86.jpeg
    ?

Attachments

• 145A512F-E44F-4DF5-A4BE-DA4C844A5C86.jpeg
      145A512F-E44F-4DF5-A4BE-DA4C844A5C86.jpeg
      18.7 KB · Views: 530

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Put about 220 miles on the bike today, took a spin they a bunch of Hill Country towns. Saw a lot of people out picnicking at parks along the various rivers and in towns. Lots of folks out and about, with very few wearing a face covering of any sort.

A few of the smaller towns had ‘non-essential’ businesses completely open. Saw quite a few food and drink joints open with folks seated outside eating and drinking or just drinking.

It really didn’t take long after we left Boerne before we saw this, and it was happening to the north, to the northwest and to the west. Tickled my heart pink to see people deciding to exercise freedom and liberty.

We stopped at a place off 16 between Bandera and Kerrville with probably 20 bikes parked out front and had a cup of joe with people just sitting around at tables spread out outside. Pretty much the common theme was feeling like everyone was getting punished for not good reason at all.
    My buddy and I rode down from austin yesterday. Blanco, sisterdale, kerrville, Vanderpool, Medina then back to austin. We took 16 up from Medina. Lots of tar snakes. Saw people out all along the way.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    A friend on Facebook posted how bad the virus is and linked a LA times article. The article mentioned a "study" of 19 patients, a review of 12 patients and a study of 191 patients. The study of 191 mentioned higher mortality in the elderly and people with high organ failure assessment scores. There were a lot of "may" and "might" statements in the article. There were a lot of comments to the post saying how bad things are and how scary. I wrote a paragraph in response but I deleted it instead of posting because I know how it would turn out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom