Lynx Defense

Cuss word filtering and other family-friendly measures.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeeD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Texas
    Let's try this again and see where we stand: "****, piss, ****, ****, **********, mother****er, and ****."

"**** the hammer."

Please post this again in this thread and let's see if the filter updates have kicked in yet...
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. TGT's rules have changed over time and today's mishap (with the momentary over-filtering) is just another small change in a multi-year timeline.

We don't plan on driving anyone away. We plan on enhancing the community and making it more enjoyable, even doing giveaways and working with Texas gun shops that are willing to offer prizes and sponsor giveaways. We have a lot of fun things in store in the coming weeks and months.

We have been managing / running forums for 9 years and don't plan to do anything that will run this forum into the ground.

Appealing to the mainstream may very well be more profitable. Good luck with your business.

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    So, this is Texas GUN Talk after all, and in TEXAS you need to be 18 in order to buy a GUN, so I don't get why we are censored. Just my $.02.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. TGT's rules have changed over time and today's mishap (with the momentary over-filtering) is just another small change in a multi-year timeline.

We don't plan on driving anyone away. We plan on enhancing the community and making it more enjoyable, even doing giveaways and working with Texas gun shops that are willing to offer prizes and sponsor giveaways. We have a lot of fun things in store in the coming weeks and months.

We have been managing / running forums for 9 years and don't plan to do anything that will run this forum into the ground.

Bithabus is right. You say you don't plan on driving anyone away but that is exactly what you are doing and it is pretty evident by the backlash. I wouldn't say that the community really needs much "enhancement" overall. Two weeks isn't a whole lot of time for you to get a real good feel of a community that has been around for years and one of the most informative on the web in regards to its primary topic. There is a reason you invested in this site...don't lose that by trying to mold it to just another run of the mill domain name in a long list. Somebody said "there are lots of other forums out there with filters" which is true. But how active are those forums? I'm not advocating anarchy but this forum is far from R-rated as Bithabus said. Giveaways and the like can be beneficial but they can also hurt you if the members feel like they are being pimped out to draw in ad revenue and you'll see an even sharper backlash if account or personal information is made available.

I think a large number of us were already unhappy with the sale but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. Your response and attempt to reassure us has only made me more wary of what is to come.

I've admittedly been out of the forum management game for the most part as of late but have over 10 years experience myself and this has not been handled in the best way.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I don't see the point of getting upset and bitching to this extent. If you don't like it, move on. That's the point we're at. It's their site, they paid the money for it, and that's that.

I don't particularly agree with the censorship, but hey, it's not my website and it's not my problem if there will be any loss of activity due to it.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I don't see the point of getting upset and bitching to this extent. If you don't like it, move on. That's the point we're at. It's their site, they paid the money for it, and that's that.

I don't particularly agree with the censorship, but hey, it's not my website and it's not my problem if there will be any loss of activity due to it.

Shut up marcus

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas

What other forums do you run and manage?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    There are people who want to leave this forum over the ban on half-naked pictures of other men's children and censorship of obscene language? Please show me the door so that I may hold it open for them.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    There are people who want to leave this forum over the ban on half-naked pictures of other men's children and censorship of obscene language? Please show me the door so that I may hold it open for them.

I think I was only in the man cave once or twice, but nonetheless, it was in a sub forum and if you didn't like what was in there, then you didn't have to go in there.

As far as the language, there is way worse out there ... I work in a middle school and I hear WAY worse, in a single minute, than anything I've ever seen on this board. The members here do a pretty decent job of conveying themselves without it; however, there are times when it does a better job of conveying someone's thoughts/emotions. Then you've got things that were already addressed of going way overboard, ie "cocking" of a hammer, etc. I also believe that by censoring and putting * in it's place, you're detracting from what someone is trying to say and a drawing the attention to the "obscene" word. The way I do it at work is to tell the kid to watch their language instead of dragging them down to the assistant principal's office nonstop. That goes a lot farther than being heavy-handed.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I get it when used occasionally for emphasis.

It's kinda sad when its used because someone lost their thesaurus and couldn't pass a 5th grade English class.

Still, this isn't like being at someone's house. It's more like being in someone's bar and they're voluntarily banning smoking. It could bring new clientele or it could make the place go under.

Personally, the filter doesn't bother me unless it leads to people bailing on this site

Hey now just cause I can't pass a 5th grade English class lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Once again to all.

I did not mean this to start a huge issue, rather my intentions were to simply fix what I thought needed fixing, along with a list of other things on the site. I am fallible... I was used to making simple changes (or so I thought) and fixes and from what I understand about the past meltdown the site had, it needed some errors and such fixed.

Can we just start all over?

Like Lee mentioned we just wanted to have some fun here, contests, streamlining things like sponsorship that needed it and so on. At this point to me the best thing I can do before doing a knee jerk change is posting it in the announcements section and get everyone's opinion. Then hopefully we can all reach an agreement on it.

Thanks all
    Sorry again
    Kevin

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That sounds awesome. Things work best when owners and their base give eachother respect and consideration. I think your idea is a very good compromise.

It's good to see people on both sides acting mostly diplomatic so far.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    At this point to me the best thing I can do before doing a knee jerk change is posting it in the announcements section and get everyone's opinion. Then hopefully we can all reach an agreement on it.

Thanks all
    Sorry again
    Kevin

Now you expect us to read the announcements? What next, we're supposed to read the directions before we try and put something together? (If we had smileys, I'd insert one here).

I too am curios to hear what other forums you have. As I'm sure you've figured out, some feathers are going to get ruffled then ownership changes. Don't really know why. It's not like we ever owned the forum anyway. You seem to be very agreeable to discussing changes, so that's a good sign. You might also consider getting input from your moderators here as your kicking around other ideas before you post an announcement.

Top Bottom