• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I learned the hard way in college. It's good to push yourself. I heard great advice that basically boils down to "You are stronger than you think." When I was doing strength training before, I realized after I heard that maybe I could do more than I was. I started pushing a lot harder and using more weight, but being careful because I have an old injury that will flare up.

Feeling a strain is not the same thing as being injured, but injuries suck. Which is why I took a break. Being down for a day beats not working out for a week due to an injury and then having to rebuild momentum. Possibly a deal killer when I just restarted after almost 2 months of inactivity.
    That's right. I went down on all weights in strength training because I ruined my rotator cups in both shoulders and the doctor recommended surgery on both.

Less weight, more cardio and up don't miss any days. Yesterday I went HIIT 4.11 miles, arms, chest, abs 1.5hrs. Happy hour is thursday at Recess Bar so I have to go to the gym Saturday morning. Go 4 days each week. It's what the gov tells you to do.
    Guns International

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    Yeah I tore a tendon climbing almost 6 months ago trying to climb the grades I use to. It's still nowhere near 100%.

I'll make sure to give a few reps in yalls honor :weights:

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Dang, still hurting a little bit this morning. Walked about 2 miles with the wife last night, so I didn't completely ditch. Scale was kind, starting to think I was having a bad gravity day on Monday.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've been off since last wed. I broke a toe (the middle one on my right foot) in a terrible diarrhea accident. I think I'll be back up to speed next week. It's still purple but the swelling goes down every day.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I've been off since last wed. I broke a toe (the middle one on my right foot) in a terrible diarrhea accident. I think I'll be back up to speed next week. It's still purple but the swelling goes down every day.
    Part of me wants to hear the story, the other part doesn't....

Do tell

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Been doing basic stuff. I pick a weight that I can probably do 11 of. I do six sets of 12. Every set to failure. I back off of the weight after the second set. Rest 2-3 minutes between sets. I have been focusing on arms and upper body because my genetics are in my legs and they will get big quick. One muscle group a day, four days a week. I am just trying to put on mass right now.

I have never worked out in my life, but when I was young I raced bmx, and in my thirties I rode a lot of mountain bike. Now in my mid fourties, I am starting to get in shape. I am a decent sized guy, 6'2" and 240 pounds of fatazz. In three months my biceps(upper arm) have gone from 13.5" to just a hair over 16". Lost an inch on my waist and my boobs are gone. Just weight training, no cardio until next month. I am also going to stop smoking next month. It happened automatically when I was riding the mountain bike. I just didn't want to any more. Hoping the same thing will happen this time when I get back on it. I am going with a front suspension only bike, not like my old heavy full suspension.

i did a lot of research for what I wanted to do and I picked the one that seemed to have the most accepted science behind it. The workout I am doing is for skinny guys, but even though I am far from skinny, it has been working for me. I wanted mass and I am getting it. Plus the workout I am doing gets my heart rate to 143ish and that is where my body burns the most fat.

The site I am using is called musclehack. When I go to the cardio, it will be based on his six pack abs program. I have no illusions of having six pack abs, because I eat like a horse, but some of the things seem reasonable to accomplish. Except for the six pack abs thing, the site is free. There is a wealth of info on it. Of you enter your email he will send you tips and stuff, but you don't have to. Most of the info is on the site.

I don't work for him or have any dog in that hunt, it has just worked for this old fat guy and I am passing the info along.

btw...when I started doing the bicep curls, I had trouble on the second set at 20#, that is how weak I was. The first two sets are now 40#. Like I said, I have never worked out before. Just some FYI.
    leper

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Part of me wants to hear the story, the other part doesn't....

Do tell
    Got sick. Went thru work sick. When I got back to my own toilet I hit that up then hit the couch.
    Soon enough I had to run back to the bathroom and caught the couch starting a sprint. No time to stop I got to the bathroom, sat down and checked out the foot. It was already red and swelling quick. Now my middle toe is broke.

See y'all in aggieland sept 12,13,14. Staying at a friends ranch and tailgating. PM me if you wanna hang out.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I'm 21 and out of shape. I ran a half-marathon last spring in 2hrs 45 min, and have recently begun training for another one. I try to work out at least 3 times a week, alternating between running and strength training. I do the ST at Planet Fitness.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I started this thread and then embarrassingly fell off the wagon. Not having the ability to workout at home and trying to make due with neighborhood runs was not working.

I joined a gym and started up again today. I think this will work out much better as the gym is across the street from work. I just get up, take all my crap, workout, and then shower at the gym.

My one gripe is that like every gym I go to with full services, they have circuit training equipment. Which is good because you don't have to plan your workout and can get all the muscle groups in. However, some moron always has to use one piece of the equipment even though there is a standalone machine or free weights that does the same thing. If you're going to do the circuit, do the circuit, otherwise stay off the machines!

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Good to hear you're back on!
    My wife loves that I lift. Because if I go 2-3 days without it, I'm moody and not a joy to be around (according to her... I thought I was bubbly and fun all the time)
    I think once you get a routine down, it'll be easier. What you're doing sounds like a good plan. That's what I did back in college. Take all your stuff. Good to go

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I'm on low weights, trying for higher reps and trying to avoid a new injury. Part of what took me out when I restarted was a problem with one of my legs.

Keep telling myself not to think about how wimpy the weight is and if I keep up consistently and don't re-injure myself I will eventually not be on such a pathetic amount of weight.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Spot on sir.
    Going too heavy too soon will result in poor technique and almost certain injuries.

I just got off of a severe neck strain that rendered me inoperable due to migraines brought on by the muscle being used. Well, almost 90% of lifts use the neck muscle in some form....

No weights get lifted when you're injured

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    Keep up the good work guys!

I've got my stuff packed for school and the gym so I can go there immediately after work. I ran 3 miles in 23 minutes yesterday. I probably should have gone for another lap.

Top Bottom