• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txdweeb

Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Found mine the other day didn’t know of this model a ruger speed six, I previously had a security six 6in blued I foolishly let go. I’ve ordered a iwb leather holster, Tyler t grip,
    And a spurless hammer.
    Military Camp

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpeg
      IMG_2312.jpeg
      280.8 KB · Views: 56

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I may have answered this before and probably with the same revolvers if I did so but I'll be damned if I can remember or if I am about to read through 10 pages to see if I did or not. So excuse me if this is a second entry; regardless, it contains newly updated info:

As for a .357: Colt Border Patrol, 4" barrel, blued steel. Had one when I was in the Border Patrol, it was my first issued revolver.robably carried it a year or two before they had to be turned in. I loved it, wish I could have owned it.

As for straight .38 SPL, I have always liked and just bought a: Colt Detective Special, this one is the 2nd variation. It was made in my birth year and I was the second son/sibling in my family or the 2nd variation so to speak!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm pretty sure I answered once in this thread long ago, but I wanna change my answer perhaps.

I'd like a Smith & Wesson N-Frame, a model 29, rechambered and re-cylindered for .357 Magnum. Why? Why not? The heavier gun built to handle .44 Mag would be a pussycat with normal .357 loads, and bunny fart .38's would almost be like shooting .22 magnums.

Give me old school walnut square butt grips, finely checkered, and that blue so deep you feel like you're staring into the void of space that Smith & Wesson was once known for. Do an adjustable rear sight with a ramped front sight, all serrated and black. Serrate the top strap to keep the glare down. Maybe tune up the trigger for a double action pull of around 8lbs and a glass like single action of around 2.

A boy can dream.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Serious question - Why would you prefer this to a Model 27?

The 27 is a sleeker, lighter frame since it was designed for the .357 Magnum. Its still a gorgeous gun, but since I'm thinking range toy, the over built heavier model 29 would be softer shooting and thus more pleasurable, I think for an extended range session. You could probably accomplisht he same thing by shooting bunny fart .44 specials from it - but since this thread is specific to a .357 / .38 spl - I'm thinking a heavy framed over built gun to tame the recoil.

Were I having to carry the thing for extended time - I may actually prefer the model 27, or to have the 29 chambered in .44 - only time I could fancy myself toting around a revolver would be hiking in the back country where bear, cougar, moose, or methbilly encounters are most likely, or to serve as a back up while hunting - where a magnum loading would be preferable to a typical semi-auto round like the 9x19 or .45 ACP. A Glock 20SF with hot 10mm loads comes close to .357 ballistics so I'd probably honestly prefer that for back country carry.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    The 27 is a sleeker, lighter frame since it was designed for the .357 Magnum. Its still a gorgeous gun, but since I'm thinking range toy, the over built heavier model 29 would be softer shooting and thus more pleasurable, I think for an extended range session. You could probably accomplisht he same thing by shooting bunny fart .44 specials from it - but since this thread is specific to a .357 / .38 spl - I'm thinking a heavy framed over built gun to tame the recoil.

Were I having to carry the thing for extended time - I may actually prefer the model 27, or to have the 29 chambered in .44 - only time I could fancy myself toting around a revolver would be hiking in the back country where bear, cougar, moose, or methbilly encounters are most likely, or to serve as a back up while hunting - where a magnum loading would be preferable to a typical semi-auto round like the 9x19 or .45 ACP. A Glock 20SF with hot 10mm loads comes close to .357 ballistics so I'd probably honestly prefer that for back country carry.
    Both are N-frames. I have known a few that rechambered and rebarreled a 27 to 44 mag. Only the Lord knows why due to the existence of the 29 but it's been done. My 520 that is also a N-Frame , when I sent it up to my buddy to work on before he passed, he had converted a number of 520's to 44mag, 45 colt etc. To add to that they fit the same holsters, the grips are the same . Just got rid of a model 27 , in the safe resides a 629 power port, and a 625 mountain gun. No Smith can take the abuse that a Ruger can take but I have a good friend that has a 28 he carried on duty for years that has been rebuilt 2 times and has well over 100,000 rounds down range. Still in great shape. If you want as close to indestructible, Redhawk in .357.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Both are N-frames. I have known a few that rechambered and rebarreled a 27 to 44 mag. Only the Lord knows why due to the existence of the 29 but it's been done. My 520 that is also a N-Frame , when I sent it up to my buddy to work on before he passed, he had converted a number of 520's to 44mag, 45 colt etc. To add to that they fit the same holsters, the grips are the same . Just got rid of a model 27 , in the safe resides a 629 power port, and a 625 mountain gun. No Smith can take the abuse that a Ruger can take but I have a good friend that has a 28 he carried on duty for years that has been rebuilt 2 times and has well over 100,000 rounds down range. Still in great shape. If you want as close to indestructible, Redhawk in .357.

Hm, I thought the 27 was an L-frame. Learn something new every day.

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Engraved floral, stainless/nickel, cattleman single action. Not the most practical, but grabs attention when carried

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    A Registered Magnum (pre-M27) which was THE FLAGSHIP for S&W at that time, with a 5" barrel, a King's target front sight (with mirror), and (real Sambar) stag grips. Unfortunately, I don't own such a beast.

OutlawStar

Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I think mine would be .357mag, stainless or piano black gloss, under barrel detachable rails, swappable barrels but base gun in 5", 8-shot, 3lb Da, 2lb sa, excellent irons but ability to put a red dot on, and ported just for fun.

A similar .22lr, .22wmr variant would be cool too. Dan Wesson revolvers really soured me on other revolvers.

Top Bottom